Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2017 World Series discussion thread.

13»

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game 5 was beyond belief. I would hate to have to put money on the winner for Game 7. I am still pulling for Houston for the reasons stated by Galaxy. :) Sorry keets. B)

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

GO ASTROS!!!!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman, I don't really care who wins.

it has been an entertaining series with more than the usual twists and turns. it reminds me of last seasons WS which, again, was played between two evenly matched Teams, much more evenly matched than the stats on paper would indicate. although I'll be relegated to following along online instead of TV I expect that someone, maybe the least expected guy riding the PinePony, will do something dramatic.

that was sort of the point that I so un-eloquently made earlier --- this time of year can be magical in MLB with some players rising to the occasion and others shrinking away. one thing is ALWAYS true about Game 7's --- when you suit up you better be ready!!! the most exciting thing is the pitchers. they have the biggest affect on everything and I would expect that last night's starters are about the only two guys who won't be ready to go.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

money pouring in on the Dodgers at my s-book

opened at -125, now -155

• Options

Looks like it could be a hitters night.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston came ready to play!~

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

You know what Yogi said.

• Options

Time for a LA gut check.

• Options

I think I hear Dandy Don Merideth(sp) tuning up for the MNF classic.......Turn out the lights...the party's over. ;)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

You know what Yogi said.

He said this game is over..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great series. Many thanks to the NFL for turning my interest back to baseball.

:)

• Options

WTG Houston!!!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 9:25PM

Congrats to the people of Houston, the Astro's and baseball. I'm thankful I got my game 7 and an Astro's win!

Tremendous team effort

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

great, great series. Dodgers are loaded and the future is bright. wouldn't at all be surprised to witness another WS collision between those two down the road.

time for bed. very important day lies ahead at work. i need to be bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and on my A-game..............when i scour ebay to find the perfect George Springer card to send to Keets for Christmas.

oh, and i sure wish i was Carlos Correa tonight.......for more than one reason

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Nolan Ryan and the World Series Champion Houston Astros.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is hard to believe that LA came out as flat as they did, it's almost as if they assumed there would be an 8th game. Houston had no such thoughts, they came out of the gate as if their lives depended on it. George Springer had a great, great series but he's played like that all season, surprising power for a guy who doesn't look like he should have it. he reminds me a little of how surprising it was to see power like that from Dustin Pedroia and the change that took place later in Ricky Henderson's career --- power coming from guys you wouldn't expect to have it.

George Springer was a very deserving WSMVP and is probably the new prototypical lead-off man.

on the Dodgers side, I think success and failure both start with the manager. in this case it seems like Roberts had his Team unprepared for the entire series and he complicated things a little with some bad or slow decisions. he should have had Darvish on the shortest of leashes, gone after the first inning and if not then, when he walked McCann to start the second. what was he waiting for??

overall, LA seemed like a different Team when Roberts couldn't get things right in early September, something seemed to change in the clubhouse and on the field. on the other side, Hinch and the Astros never took their foot off the pedal, playing hard and aggressive for the entire season and through the playoffs.

the Houston Astros are now the defending MLB Champions!!! :)

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next to the 2004 Red Sox playoff/WS, by far, the best WS I have ever seen. Oddly, in the Red Sox comeback, Dave Roberts, stealing 2nd base was the spark that saved the day for the Red Sox then.

LA looked like they just weren't into it for some reason. Darvish should have gone earlier, but DR left him in and up went the 5 runs. The LA bats were silent , too many missed opportunities, way too many LOBs. Given the magnitude of the game, they didn't look like a WS worthy team last night.

I think Puig needs some anger management in the off season.

Congrats Astros, KARMA

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I had no rooting interest in either team. I did enjoy the series and I'm happy for Astros fans.. I felt bad for Bellinger. He set a record of 17 K's in a World Series. I can't imagine that record ever being broken. His weaknesses really got exposed. Think about it- that's 2 1/2 strikeouts per game. IF Dodger fans need someone to beat up it should be him. IMO. Turner's lack of hitting didn't help their cause.
    IF the Dodgers knew Kershaw had 50 pitches left in him he should have started the game.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Great series. I wish the game had gone the other way but oh well. I think Roberts has one more year to win a world series or be fired.

• Options

@dennis07 said:

IF the Dodgers knew Kershaw had 50 pitches left in him he should have started the game.

Maybe Darvish threw the thing as a way of telling the US to go to hell.

Kneeling has never been all that effective in Asia.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    keets, with all due respect, i live here and you don't. i have heard countless interviews. i have read direct quotes in articles. if you think the tragedy had zero impact on their psyche as they entered this series, then you're on an island by yourself. as someone who bleeds red just like those players do, you should know that perspective matters greatly in life.

perhaps you should take a moment to read this article. from the LA Times, no less:

latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-astros-report-20171028-story.html
    @Coinstartled said:

@dennis07 said:

wtf :D

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

First inning error didn't help the cause, that's for sure. But the inability to advance/score leadoff base runners and RISP was devastating. Ks Kill, and the Astros had the junk spinning tight. That game had the makings of the epic Game 7 we hoped for, but ended up falling a bit flat...especially for this Dodger fan. I think Joc should have been switched with Bellinger in the lineup. That hardest part for me was if the Dodgers didn't make it, I was all in on the Astros. What a fun team...but then I ended up kinda hating them...temporarily. Their 1-5 were seeing the ball so well and came through when they needed to. Congrats to the Astros, but I think the Dodgers will look back on this and realize they missed a lot of opportunities through the series. Hope they find their way back.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2017 2:22PM

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:
    keets, with all due respect, i live here and you don't. i have heard countless interviews. i have read direct quotes in articles. if you think the tragedy had zero impact on their psyche as they entered this series, then you're on an island by yourself. as someone who bleeds red just like those players do, you should know that perspective matters greatly in life.

perhaps you should take a moment to read this article. from the LA Times, no less:

latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-astros-report-20171028-story.html
    @Coinstartled said:

@dennis07 said:

wtf :D

Figured that commeman needed a stress test.

;)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

My congratulations to the Astros.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".