Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2017 World Series discussion thread.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

this game may have single-handedly brought me back to baseball

i am drunk at an H-town bar and plan on calling in sick if i wake up

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's turned into a beer-league softball game :D

Steve

• Options

btw i think over 20 with kershaw/keuchel on the bump is 100 to win 250 billion dollars

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    this game may have single-handedly brought me back to baseball

i am drunk at an H-town bar and plan on calling in sick if i wake up

Uber. My treat

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

This is officially what is after insane

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you kidding me??

This is like the HR derby at the All Star game. Not sure of I like it or not. It's almost too extreme, if not dramatic.

The ball must be juiced, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Are you kidding me??!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I'm exhausted watching this. I feel like I've played in this game. The clutch hitting is insane.

mark

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm exhausted watching this. I feel like I've played in this game. The clutch hitting is insane.

mark

You may be exhausted, but I bet you almost don't want to see this game end.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

A short left field will do this.

• Options

Pinch running for McCann was a great idea!

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 10:57PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    A short left field will do this.

I hear you but.....

There are 7 American League parks where more home runs where hit this year. Yankee Stadium yielded the most home runs

Minute Maid Park falls right in the middle

As far as which stadium favored the pitchers more then the hitters in ALL major league parks in 2017 one would never guess it was Minute Maid Park in Houston.

mark

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

McCann would have never made it.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great game.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Craziest game I have ever seen

m

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:

@grote15 said:

McCann would have never made it.

Yeah, they wouldn't have been able to send him

mark

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

all the HR's notwithstanding, games like this are what happen when the Umpire behind the plate has no clue about the strike zone. that guy was terrible and should be fired.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

@zippcity said:
    No worries , Stros with homefield advantage now.

Verlander on deck.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭

Kershaw is my favorite pitcher in MLB but he choked in a big playoff moment yet again. He was having a really good postseason as well. I don't understand why the Dodger managers aren't handling Kershaw differently in the postseason. Over and over again once he gets in trouble he gives up runs and needs to be yanked. Once he lost his control in the 4th he needed to be taken out.

I guess the Dodger managers can't fathom that Kershaw will fail yet again after yet another amazing regular season but you know what you will get from Kershaw now.

That said now the Astros can win and I will be happy. Was hoping for two great games from Kershaw but a series win by the Astros (I went to college in Houston). Got one great game out of Kershaw and then his normal postseason failure. Kershaw reminds me of Greg Maddux with his postseason struggles. Maddux had some postseason success but too many failures.
    Overall Maddux pitched better than Kershaw in the postseason he just lost a lot of close games where an inferior pitcher out pitched him.

Robb

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment about the Dodger runner not tagging and scoring from third base, I think it was the 8th inning.
    Looked like he would have scored on Reddicks throw, and he had speed, think his name is Taylor.
    It would have got them within one and then they would have won with those runs they scored in the ninth.

I remember the Royals third base coach winning them a game in the series, the Dodgers third base coach
    may have just lost them a game.

• Options

Maddux had no problem against the Indians and I think the starting line-up that year was about .290 or so. Kershaw suffered as Kluber did. it's hard to carry a Team for a season and then also in the playoffs. I mean to take nothing away from Verlander, but he had his struggles during the season and rose to the occasion during the playoffs, a much better alternative. it helps that he has a better club behind him but he was really roughed up a few times prior to the trade.

the change of scenery has served him well, now he will have the chance to put the stamp on an MVP for WS.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2017 8:15AM

@Darin said:
    No comment about the Dodger runner not tagging and scoring from third base, I think it was the 8th inning.
    Looked like he would have scored on Reddicks throw, and he had speed, think his name is Taylor.
    It would have got them within one and then they would have won with those runs they scored in the ninth.

I remember the Royals third base coach winning them a game in the series, the Dodgers third base coach

The third base coach actually sent him. Taylor couldn't hear him it was so noisy. Taylor thought he heard "no". The coach was saying "go". The play would have been close. If he did score the 9th would have been played differently from both sides so one never knows how it would have turned out. You can't assume it would have been played the same

Mark

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a zombie today............but it was totally worth it. There aren't enough hyperbolic adjectives to describe that game.

• Options

Mark, thanks. I didn't know the third base coach actually sent him. And I do think he would
    have scored rather easily. The throw was up the third base line and slowed a lot when it hit
    the ground. Taylor, with his speed, would have been past the catcher by the time the ball arrived.

• Options

i think i've imbibed more coffee this morning than i had my entire life prior to today. a little perspective from someone who resides in Houston, if i may.

unless you live here or know someone who does, you really don't know just how bad things were a couple of months ago. i was a very fortunate soul, but i have lost track of the number of people i know who didn't live in flood zones and are now forced to start over in life, for all intents and purposes. "sad" doesn't even begin to cut it.

do not for one second think that the Astros' players fail to realize what a championship will mean to this city. it will not erase what happened, but it will give Houstonians something to cheer about at the most opportune time. and i for one sense this in their play, because those dudes look intrepid out there.

when the Dodgers are up 4 runs with Kershaw on the mound, they were 100-1 prior to last night. the Astros' hitters erased a 4-0 deficit the very next time they came up to bat.

when Kenley Jansen and his 1.32 reg season era comes into the game, the door is supposed to slam completely shut. the Astros have now scored off of him 3 consecutive times.

coming into this series, the decided advantage for the Dodgers was supposed to be what happened after the starters left the mound. to this point, the Astros' bats have made LA's bullpen look just as janky as theirs.

i'm certain that many of these guys just experienced real-life scary or know someone who did, so you can forget about tossing any type of adverse baseball scenario their way and expect them to cower, because that's simply not going to happen.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 9:59AM

@Justacommeman said:

@Darin said:

The third base coach actually sent him. Taylor couldn't hear him it was so noisy. Taylor thought he heard "no". The coach was saying "go". The play would have been close. If he did score the 9th would have been played differently from both sides so one never knows how it would have turned out. You can't assume it would have been played the same

Mark

This is a classic reason why teams need to use words that can not be misinterpreted. "Go" is a bad word to begin with, as it sounds like "No", which means the opposite.

A better word to use, is "Run". If the coach doesn't want the runner to go, he can use "Stop".

Steve

• Options
    edited October 30, 2017 10:33AM

@SDSportsFan said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Darin said:

Mark

This is a classic reason why teams need to use words that can not be misinterpreted. "Go" is a bad word to begin with, as it sounds like "No", which means the opposite.

A better word to use, is "Run". If the coach doesn't want the runner to go, he can use "Stop".

Steve

Here is the video. The third base coach was saying, "you gotta go, you gotta go". Tagging there would have been risky as making the final out with the tying run on second would have opened up a whole other can of worms. A good throw from Reddick who can gun it would have had him.

https://www.mlb.com/video/taylor-on-not-tagging-up/c-1865988783

• Options

Interesting, the third base coach says, "I was saying gotta go, but I think you would have been out with
    that throw, honestly".

I don't think so.

• Options

galaxy, with all due respect and compassion for what Houston has been through I think your thoughts are a little far fetched. they'll probably say as much in the next several months, about how they played "for the people of Houston" but it's all a bunch of crap. if that was the case things would be different all over the sporting world.

what happened in that game is the culmination of a long season and a short series, it's no different than what the Giants did in 1954. a lot of people don't think that the best Team wins all the time but they do. Houston right now is the better Team despite everything that the Dodgers accomplished this season.

it's the same reason that the Cubs won last year, not because they were doing something special for their "long suffering fans" but because they had the better Team. hopefully, I don't come off wrong in this post because that isn't my intent.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2017 11:31AM

keets, with all due respect, i live here and you don't. i have heard countless interviews. i have read direct quotes in articles. if you think the tragedy had zero impact on their psyche as they entered this series, then you're on an island by yourself. as someone who bleeds red just like those players do, you should know that perspective matters greatly in life.

perhaps you should take a moment to read this article. from the LA Times, no less:

latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-astros-report-20171028-story.html

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    keets, with all due respect, i live here and you don't. i have heard countless interviews. i have read direct quotes in articles. if you think the tragedy had zero impact on their psyche as they entered this series, then you're on an island by yourself. as someone who bleeds red just like those players do, you should know that perspective matters greatly in life.

perhaps you should take a moment to read this article. from the LA Times, no less:

Exactly. Until you go trough something like Houston did and have it be so recent you couldnt possibly know the sense of unity and community one comes away with. You rally around each other even if the outcome isn't what you want.

mark

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Good point. It reminds me a bit of the Saints when they won the Super Bowl after Katrina. These guys aren't robots~they can feel the emotion and circumstances surrounding them and their city. Just look at what J.J. Watt felt inspired to do after Harvey hit.

• Options

all athletes tend to be tied into the community where they live, stuff like this makes for good press. I just don't think they sit in the dugout and say "we need to come-back for the city" or go up to the plate and have an extra incentive to have a good at bat because of what happened. once they get between the lines if they think about this stuff it will be more a distraction than anything else.

if you buy into this kind of thinking you probably also believe that God wants Houston to win more than LA because what happened there is greater than what happened with the SoCal fires. it's like the folklore that Lou Gehrig hit that HR for little Timmy in the hospital. it's a nice, quaint story but little more than that.

we'll see tonight, if the Astros lose does that mean they really don't have it all together for those suffering in Houston?? probably not, and the press won't mention it.

• Options

here's George Springer (who nearly lost his home in the storm) after hitting a titanic blast on the first pitch to tie the game at 8 two nights ago. the Astros are so very fortunate that he is inhuman, incapable of feeling, and therefore able to totally block out Harvey once the game starts so it doesn't in any way alter his approach or become "a distraction."

• Options

yeah, and it's a good thing he doesn't mug for the cameras!!

here's one for you..........................are there any Puerto Rican born players on the Astros, who should they be playing for??? for the ultimate trifecta, what if there is a Houston Astro player who was born in Puerto Rico and currently resides with his family in SoCal, who he be playing for??

I hate to come across as cynical, but the sooner you realize that these guys are playing for Numero Uno the better. they play hard for themselves and their Teammates, if there were any allegiance to their home city they would stay there and not chase the money.

do you think Verlander will pitch for the residents of Houston tonight?? if Houston loses tonight does that mean they just didn't care enough?? get a grip, man, this is entertainment sports. Lebron James "cared" for the Akron/Cleveland area and I wonder why Kyrie Irving left, didn't he care about the fans.

these guys will do anything that shines a good light on them. one final question: if the Astros really care and they lose the series, will they apologize for letting everyone down??

• Options

keets, all 4 of your tires have come off. i hope your week improves bud. enjoy G6

• Options

all four tires are on, I just don't get sucked into the sentimental hogwash your spewing.

• Options

keets if i got into the hogwash ive seen roll off of your fingers since ive been around, i'd miss the next solar eclipse.

i think the prudent thing for you to do tonight is avert your eyes when George Springer comes to the plate. the last thing anyone on these boards wants is for your delicate emotional state to be adversely affected by a disingenuous baseball player who is only out for #1.

• Options

Frisky. Me likey

I'd like to see a game 7 so I might be rooting for a Verlander/Houston loss tonight. Not sure if I can do that. I do want the Stroh's to win I just want another game

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Frisky. Me likey

I'd like to see a game 7 so I might be rooting for a Verlander/Houston loss tonight. Not sure if I can do that. I do want the Stroh's to win I just want another game

m

Mark my gut says they need to ride this tidal wave of momentum and finish this thing tonight. If it goes 7 I think LA does some hoisting.

As for the feistiness, it's just a ruse. What you guys don't know is that Keets and I get together every New Year's Eve, share a sixer of O'Doul's and play Dungeons & Dragons until we fall asleep at ~ 9 pm

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@galaxy27 said:

Exactly. Until you go trough something like Houston did and have it be so recent you couldnt possibly know the sense of unity and community one comes away with. You rally around each other even if the outcome isn't what you want.

mark

67 riots undoubtedly motivated the 68 Tigers.

Gates Brown's bat didn't hurt either.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2017 4:01PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@galaxy27 said:

mark

My first game at Tiger Stadium was in 67 as a uber youngster. My parents and I went on a bus from Wayne all the way down Michigan Ave. I was told we were going to a movie. Best day of my life

m

• Options

i could have sworn that i saw Hinch ask Verlander if he had 275 pitches in him tonight

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@galaxy27 said:

mark

My first game at Tiger Stadium was in 67 as a uber youngster. My parents and I went on a bus from Wayne all the way down Michigan Ave. I was told we were going to a movie. Best day of my life

m

My dad took us to a game or two a year during the late 60's. Might have been there that day. I was the snotty kid yelling that Mayo Smith was being overpaid!

• Options

6 IP in the World Series is the CG equivalent of yesteryear.

• Options

kudos to D Roberts for having sizable cojones. removing Hill to bring in a righty when there were ducks on the pond was the obvious move, but i guess it's not quite as obvious when Hill wants to knock you out and there's a cascade of boos raining down on your head. a hit there and the complexion of that game would have changed drastically.

now this series gets exactly what it deserves

• Options

One team will have a parade....the other will feel like Hillary Clinton.

• Options

hey Galaxy, it looks like the Dodgers won a game for their beleaguered fans!! o:)

• Options

I wonder who has the inside track to series MVP?? I half-expected Verlander to close things out last night and win it going away, but such is not the case.

• Options

Just hoping for another great game. This wonderful series needs an epic conclusion. It's been surreal

mark