Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2017 World Series discussion thread.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the 2017 World Series is upon us. Although I had anticipated starting a thread like this with the Cleveland Indians being one of the two Teams I have accepted their defeat and moved past it. I look forward to the excitement that comes with this WS and the Teams that WILL play starting Tuesday evening. I really think, after all the playoff dust has settled, that they are the two best Teams and that they should provide a competitive end to the season.

Judging on my other playoff thread, the one where almost all my picks lost, this one should be taken with a grain of salt. Such is playoff baseball. :)

Armed with the starting pitchers for game 1 I have to say that I would never second guess Hinch, I just wonder if setting up the starters as Kuechel and then Verlander out in LA is the best thing to do. I think the Astros have a high powered offense and good starting pitching, the thing is that they have shown both can go cold on the road. They did it in Boston at seasons end, then again in the playoffs against Boston and New York. They have proven themselves un-beatable at home so far, but the Dodgers present a hitting line-up that is different than what they have faced thus far. In addition to that they won't have a "stopper" like no's 1-2
that can slide in to rescue them.

The end result might be a series that never gets back to LA for the last two games.

I think that Houston is the sentimental favorite but the money is probably on the Dodgers. If Houston loses the first two, no matter what the scores and how well Kuechel and Verlander pitch, I think the hole may be too much for the Astros.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both teams are 100 game winners. Either is capable of winning 3 or even 4 in a row. No world series is over until Yogi sings.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston needs to win at least one game in LA. I say put your best pitchers out there in games 1 and 2. They will be available to pitch again at the end of the series. If LA wins in 5 games or less, tip your cap to them and "wait until next year."

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

LA in 5. Better hitting, better bullpen, pitching is even. Houston must win one in LA or this could go 4.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Houston in 6, better offense, better pitching,

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still gonna pull for the Astros. Call it karma, Harvey, whatever, I think fate is falling their way and I expect they'll win. As we've all (most of us) have seen recently, anything can and will undoubtedly happen. Another game 7 would be perfect.

Cubs/Red Sox was my preference, but better teams prevailed. I really thought the Indians would be in the mix, but not so.

Clearly, the best two teams are in the WS. I really have no dog in the fight, either way is really ok with me, but there's a certain spark in the Houston team that is hard to quantify. Being up 2-0, then on the short side waking up at 2-3, they had to win 2 and they did, against a powerful team.

I think the games will be exciting and enjoyable to watch.

Can we say Altuve?? B)B)

GO ASTROS

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

I would absolutely be rooting for Houston in any circumstance but this. I really, really like that team.

Unfortunately, circumstance has it that they are facing my beloved Bums. Houston scares me to death - great pitching and hitting, but suspect bullpen. That may well be the difference - "our" bullpen is lights out.

My call is Dodgers in 6.

• Options

Kuechel has proven he can be beaten on the road and Verlander has yet to be tested away from Houston, his relief appearance vs. Boston notwithstanding. in that game, although he was credited with the win, he pitched poorly at first and would have gotten the loss were it not for Sale being over-extended by Farrell(thank you).

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Go blue!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 4:30PM

@Brick said:
    Houston needs to win at least one game in LA. I say put your best pitchers out there in games 1 and 2. They will be available to pitch again at the end of the series. If LA wins in 5 games or less, tip your cap to them and "wait until next year."

I believe they are going with Keuchel and Verlander in games 1 & 2. If it goes 6 or 7 they will go twice.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

last I heard LA hadn't named a game 2 starter which is strange, probably strategy based on what happens in game 1. I will say one thing about this series, I'm glad all the games will be on Fox. I had no opportunity to watch what was on MLB network and TBS so I have already reserved my tube-time with my GF. she'll watch, also, can't beat that!! she pitched in HS fastpitch and bar leagues when she was younger. I remember when we first met and we'd play long catch before my shoulder got too bad.

• Options

@keets said:
    last I heard LA hadn't named a game 2 starter which is strange...

Actually, they have - same rotation as the NLCS.

• Game 1: Kershaw
    • Game 2: Hill
    • Game 3: Darvish
    • Game 4: Wood
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

As per my previous post dated 9/30 on the other playoff thread, I picked Houston for the WS win before the playoffs started. And am staying with that choice. Best of luck to both teams and hope it is a good WS. Hopefully we should see some good pitching performances from Verlander,Darvish,Kershaw.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Dodgers making Turner's 2 run HR hold through seven. tough sledding ahead for the Astros, but the top of the order will get another shot in the 9th.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't be said Kershaw is a dud in the postseason after tonight's performance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

He was awesome

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

bleeding BLUE with excitement. Dodgers in 5

• Options

pivotal game 2 early in the series. Kuechel seems unable to win on the road and the Astros seem unable to hit away from their fans. the Dodgers have proven otherwise. if Verlander loses it is all but over.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

one hell of a comeback

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    one hell of a comeback

HUGE!!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    one hell of a comeback

one hell of a comeback

• Options

Well....they are taking turn coming back. What a game!

• Options

Yet another comeback!

• Options

Catfish are jumping. Dodger Stadium is a launching pad tonight in this hot air

m

• Options

That ball that hit the umpire was huge.....probably cost the Dodgers a run.

• Options

Great win for the Stros!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, the ball is just FLYING out of the park.

Terrific game~these 'Stros have spunk!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

the Astros need to send Dave Roberts an early Christmas card. if this is how he plans to manage his pitching staff the Dodgers may certainly lose. if nothing else, this game showed what I had pondered, that Verlander is vulnerable on the road although he had a very nice run. I figure if it comes down to games 6-7 in LA that the Dodgers will prevail.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

No worries , Stros with homefield advantage now.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options

Mr. Dummy posting here...guess who went to bed at the beginning of the 8th inning with the Dodgers up 3-1? :(

It ain't over till its over Oh Yogi how right you were!! I'm recording the game to see the tail end.

HUGE COMEBACK
    GO ASTROS

• Options
    edited October 26, 2017 6:02AM

@keets said:
    the Astros need to send Dave Roberts an early Christmas card. if this is how he plans to manage his pitching staff the Dodgers may certainly lose. if nothing else, this game showed what I had pondered, that Verlander is vulnerable on the road although he had a very nice run. I figure if it comes down to games 6-7 in LA that the Dodgers will prevail.

Vulnerable? Maybe human is a better word. Sure, even Bob Gibson in his 1.12 era prime was vulnerable. He lost a game 7 at home.

Verlander gave up two hits on a night the ball was flying out of the park. Actually a no hitter through 2 outs in the 5th on the road. He pitched terrific but yes no one is perfect. He is still on an excellent run and undefeated in the playoffs. Matter of fact the Astros have never lost a game he has ever pitched in. So his epic run remains intact.

A series doesn't start until a home game is lost. The World Series is on. Game 2 was a game for the ages. Its one of those games I glad I'm bipartisan otherwise I'd be a wreck if I had a rooting interest. I have a home I'm LA but American League roots.

m

• Options

I like the bat licker on LA. He is on a different planet. B)

• Options

Puig would be wise to dump the bat lick thing. There's no telling where that bat is, or has been before he picks it up. I seriously doubt that it's kept in a sterile environment. He's asking for a serious disease while trying to look so cool.
    Pretty stupid if you ask me.

• Options

Admittedly I didn't watch a lot of reg season baseball, but being from Houston I've seen enough of Marwin Gonzalez over the years to know that if you flatten out a cutter against him, you're asking for problems. Terrible 0-2 pitch from Jansen and he got what he deserved.

btw Girardi is out

• Options

Mark, maybe I should have said he's not invulnerable.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Is he licking the bat or smelling the "smoke" from a foul ball? I couldn't stay awake past the 9th so I missed the extra inning action.

Why did Roberts try to use the closer for 2 innings?

• Options

@dbtunr said:
    Is he licking the bat or smelling the "smoke" from a foul ball? I couldn't stay awake past the 9th so I missed the extra inning action.

Why did Roberts try to use the closer for 2 innings?'

Because he wasted Brandon Morrow in the 7th. Morrow is typically held back for use in the 8th and has been a fantastic bridge to Jansen in the 9th. Morrow was brought in too early, imo. Asking Jansen to get six outs was too much.

• Options

Dave Roberts should now be held suspect.

the Houston Astros and Los Angeles Dodgers have so much talent that any number of current MLB managers could lead them through this series. all that is required is for that manager to not make any blunders that get in the way of victory. so far I'd have to say that Roberts is 1-2 in that category. with the two losses he yanked one starter prematurely and another he left in about three batters too long. in one the starter seemed to be on "cruise" control and in the other he was on "groove" control. after that lead-off HR in the second and I would have expected Darvish to be on an extremely short leash, the Astros batters were locked in on what he was throwing, nobody was fooled.

I thought what John Smoltz said was interesting, that Darvish took away Maedas starting position. without a doubt it was only one game, but the latter looked much sharper yesterday, better control and velocity. in that second inning Houston hit some ropes, they were on everything......................hard!!! I thought in the third that the Dodgers would storm right back, bases walked full with no one out and they only score one. my take is that Seager wanted to be the hero and lost his patience at a time when he should have waited on something down the middle.

it looks now like LA is in a must win today. if they drop to 3-1 I don't see much hope.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2017 11:25AM

The Dodgers had 6 hits in game 1
    The Dodgers had 5 hits in game 2 ( 11 innings)
    The Dodgers had 4 hits in game 3

That's a problem. More so then any managing

m

• Options

yes, I agree with that 100%. don't you think that makes his other decisions even more important??

• Options

@keets said:
    yes, I agree with that 100%. don't you think that makes his other decisions even more important??

It's the way he's always managed. Mostly it's worked. When it doesn't it gets discussed. A lot

Mark

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

One hit through five. Game is certainly moving along.

• Options

2-2 ..... a fun series to watch.

• Options

those two "Number 4's" sure didn't pitch like it last night. I thought they both did a good job with curveballs, sliders and change-ups, forcing swings that were hitting the top half of the ball and pounding it into the ground. there were some really nice plays in the infield by both Teams, especially some of the charges at third with short hop scoops and throws to first. just a nicely played game where guys rise to meet what is at stake.

what did everyone think of the ball off Puig's foot?? it seems that with the replay/review they have in place that a wrong call just needs to be reviewed. why was that play any different than a ball hit down the line, don't they review those for fair/foul??

these next three games will be watched by a ton of fans. the best pitchers are back at the top and if the Astros go up 3-2 with Verlander on the hill and rested in game 6.............................whoa, Betty, I think it's a guarantee that commeman will be glued to the screen wherever he is!!!

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tell you, this is one heck of a fun World Series to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options

Both starters got lit up in game 5!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a game!

Running Morrow out there 3 games straight has backfired in a big way. Randy Johnson he is not.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

This game is totally insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options

Just trade 3 run homers until someone wins!!!

• Options

@grote15 said:
    What a game!

Running Morrow out there 3 games straight has backfired in a big way. Randy Johnson he is not.

Roberts put him in a bad spot. He had nothing

mark

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

That park is an absolute launching pad.