Home U.S. Coin Forum

Collectible Numismatic Books

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 21, 2017 1:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have taken recently to expanding my book (non-numismatic) collection after rekindling the interest with a few interesting finds. Post your rare numismatic books if you have them.

500 printed prior to Gilroy passing away. Still the reference for Milled Spanish "Columnarios"

Comments

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't know if these are rare, but...they were not easy to get

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one you don't see every day! I believe all the coins are from the Russian Collection!

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original is a treasure....

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

5,000 copies of Leroy Van Allen's 1965 (pre-VAM) Morgan dollar book were printed, a few hundred were hardbound. This is one:

edited October 21, 2017 4:21PM

Two other books I picked up aren't really rare, but they have interesting provenances:

An edition of Seaby's English Silver Coins that was owned by the co-author:

And a copy of Cohen's half cent book signed by Cohen and people in attendance at the 1982 "Half Cent Happening." Formerly owned by Bob Yuell.

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this some time ago and love looking back at some of the prices. Think I paid 8 bucks. The copyright is 1889.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Here is an interesting book about the Clark, Gruber and Company mint that I purchased last year. It's one of 800 copies published in 1950.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The First Special Edition Red Book, for 95th ANA Convention in Milwaukee.
    Although 500 were printed and distributed, at the time many were not saved, especially in new condition.
    Also, a number of them had cracking on the spine.

There are approximately a dozen or so [known] signed by:
    RS Yeoman, Chet Krause, and Ken Bressett.

Frank

BHNC #203

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calberto’s reference on 8 Reales titled “COMPENDIO DE LAS PIEZAS DE OCHO REALES” was numbered to 1500 and while not impossible to find is relatively expensive and difficult to find nice.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great old books here... There are a couple of old book shops in the village... I should roam through them on the chance that there may be a few treasures extant. Cheers, RickO

The VERY scarce ANA Luncheon Cruise overprint.

It is estimated that as few as 20 pieces were produced.
    Many of which are no longer known.

Scarce enough for you?

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

GoBust - you can only go downhill from here. That's a hard book to top!

@GoBust said:
    I recently purchased at the Stacks ANA auction (lot 69) a leather bound edition of Beistle's "A Registry of Half Dollar Varities and Sub-varities." The interesting part is that it was marked #1 and inscribed by Beistle to Col. Green thanking him for his support for the project. He was the forerunner to Al Overton and doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves for writing the first die variety treatise. This is the first book in my collection!

Wow, I wish I had seen the lot.
    Congrats on a great buy

Frank

BHNC #203

not many bibliophiles here.

Frank

BHNC #203

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    I recently purchased at the Stacks ANA auction (lot 69) a leather bound edition of Beistle's "A Registry of Half Dollar Varities and Sub-varities." The interesting part is that it was marked #1 and inscribed by Beistle to Col. Green thanking him for his support for the project. He was the forerunner to Al Overton and doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves for writing the first die variety treatise. This is the first book in my collection!

Anything with a tie to Col. Green would be special, IMHO.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    This is one you don't see every day! I believe all the coins are from the Russian Collection!

I find this one special and attractive. Owning the reprint might be better than owning an original!

• dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    A rare volume from 1790, for which the author personally supervised its production, among his many other duties at that time:

and presented to Congress on July 4th, 1790

Jefferson submits to Congress his Report on the Subject of Measures, Weights, and Coins, an effort to establish uniform standards for coinage and weight measures. Jefferson is particularly excited by the discovery that the established weight for the American version of the Spanish dollar equals an ounce. He develops an ideal system of equivalencies between money and weight standards, but it is at odds with that of Secretary of the Treasury Hamilton, whose proposal is based on current business practices. --- The Thomas Jefferson Papers Timeline 1790 to 1799.

You certainly already know this, but I'm certain the inscription to James Tilghman is by George Gale. Both men were delegates of the state of Maryland who had voted to ratify the Constitution.

@cardinal said:

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 11:33PM

Along with books I also collect brochures, booklet's, etc.

photo 1936Texas_Centennial_Brochure_Cover.jpg

photo 100_0783-1.png

photo 1900_Paris_Exposition_Cover.jpg

photo 1900_Paris_Exposition10.jpg
    A page from the 1900 Paris Expo catalog above.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Col. Green plates have always been something I have been interested in, particularly the half eagles. The NNP has imaged them which is massively helpful given the roughly $10,000 cost of the actual plates. Link: https://archive.org/details/colgreengoldhalfeagles1935

I can imagine the newly available NNP can either be seen to enhance the development of numismatic bibliophiles or can be seen to reduce the value of the material given the reduced demand for physical material. I believe in the former, rather than the latter.

I can't believe that there are so few numismatic book collectors out there.

Come on, come out of the 'book shelf' and show yours!

Frank

BHNC #203

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

There are different ways to collect numismatic books. I bought all California fractional gold books that I knew and that I could find. From there I could see how knowledge in this area evolving and how we ended with BG-2 book. That's a lot of fun of book collecting (and reading).

With the fun to find new CSDG varieties that weren't listed in the latest book (BG-2), that's another fun of coin collecting.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file