Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this mint error or post mint damage?

I know the pics are not the greatest but these are in a small collection I am buying and I am not sure if this is an error or not.
If an error does it have any value?

GOOD BST DEALS: cohodk, mikescoins, GritsMan, spinaker2000,
My Ebay Auctions

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos are really dark on the portion your questioning however PMD does seem to be the case.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of looks like it was hit with a hammer. Sorry.

Probably the best way to decide these things is to ask yourself: "If I had a perfect coin in my hand, could I recreate what I'm seeing on the coin in question?" In this case, the hammer answer is pretty basic.

That doesn't completely answer the question since some PMD/Fake errors are pretty complex. So the next step is to ask, "How could it have been created at the mint?"

The tough ones sometimes require quite a bit of error experience, and knowledge of the minting process....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD for sure

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

very dark pictures, but looks like PMD

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post Mint Damage. If the coin had been struck twice, which is only way this could happen at the mint, you would see part of the design on the part that is out of the coin's regular circle.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely PMD..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file