Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Instead of today's offering, I decided I want a PCGS SP70 2017 Enhanced Set. However, I am so

confused by all the PCGS labels. Can someone set me straight? Is one more "desirable" or rare than the others?

Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 3:22PM

I don't think we are allowed to recommend specific dealers but if you look on line, pick one, call and ask if they sell the sets graded by PCGS. If they do, ask them your question. If they don't call another. You'll see "early release" etc.

• Options
    tander123tander123 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I guess I'm confused with all the First Strike, First Day of Issue, ANA, etc...

Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 3:28PM

Then Email PCGS with your question. There are time limits involved for the specific labels. The large dealers send the coins in immediately. Different grading services use different terms and I'm ignorant of the PGGS policies. The large dealers I suggested will know. I can think of two that come to mind immediately.

Enter 2017 enhanced set and thy will come up.

PS When it's time to sell, "first strike" etc. on the label will not usually bring more money from a dealer. It's a collector "thing" and a good marketing tool. :wink:

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS F/S (Flag Label) DENVER ANA SP70 SET. Only a few still available on eBay. Good luck in finding one under $250.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still amazed that with all the

BEAT THE DRUM ! ! ! ! !

BUY THE COIN NOT THE PLASTIC

an SP70 PCGS set ranges from $130 to $250, depending on which plastic.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am amazed that after all of these years people still obsess over the First Strike label.
    This, after we learned it has absolutely nothing to do with when it was struck.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    tander123tander123 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Point taken. Just wondering what the differences were.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Be careful about dismissing the “first strike” label on all coins. Although it Is not an accurate descriptor, the FS-labeled coin, in many cases, is the prudent label to buy.
    (Not sure why, it just is...)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is reality and perception. And perception becomes reality. An SP70 should be equivalent, especially for a new issue where toning issues etc. SHOULD be minor. BUT BUT BUT clearly the market favors some labels overt others. A quick search of accrual eBay sales will show you which ones are currently in favor.

Ten years from now, will the label matter? My crystal ball is broken it is pure speculation as to what market perception will be 6 months from now much less years from now

Balance your personal desire against your perception of value and enjoy it for as long as you own it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Labels are only useful as a sales hype..... and then only to other sellers or the uninformed. As a collector, I ignore labels.... heck, often I ignore slabs... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

A hundred years from now, will there be any significance to these special labels? I suspect future collectors will just shake their heads and have a good laugh at our expense. (And it might not even take anywhere near 100 years.)

But until then, as long as people are willing to pay more, we will keep seeing them offered.

I must admit that I own one similar convoluted label in my collection - First Day of Issue, special MCM label - but it was a nice Britannia on sale at a big discount off normal retail, so I went for it.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I was schooled on here when I dismissed the importance of labels. I recently have seen a PCGS LABEL error being hyped. Does this not put too much power in the hands of the grading companies. Are we coin collectors or slab collectors? I find it very annoying.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:
    I was schooled on here when I dismissed the importance of labels. I recently have seen a PCGS LABEL error being hyped. Does this not put too much power in the hands of the grading companies. Are we coin collectors or slab collectors? I find it very annoying.

Honestly, collectors are collectors. Does it matter what they collect and why? I mean, why would anyone bother to collect 1916-D mercury dimes when they can get a 1916 dime that looks exactly the same except for the tiny "D" for much less money in much higher grade? Are we coin collectors or mintmark collectors?

Can't I collect a medal or two or must it be coins only?

I don't care about the labels, but some people do.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tander123 said:
    confused by all the PCGS labels. Can someone set me straight? Is one more "desirable" or rare than the others?

Tander I prefer the PCGS First Strike Label. You cant go wrong. I like how easy it is to look up the assigned number stamped on the front of the coin, to see how many were graded 69 or 70 and so forth. But that's just me. I don't know why some times the PCGS seems to get a higher sale price compared to the NGC coin. I do like the NGC design of the plastic. See how hard it is to decide! Actually its not I got 14 coins right now getting graded at PCGS.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

A dislike for, or mistrust of special labels is understandable for many, but if a collection is, or will be considered an investment, the labels may matter. In some cases, it may be a fiduciary responsibility to research and consider all labels before purchase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file