Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thursday morning Pop Quiz - Find the Cameo! [Grades Added & Some Good Grades with Images]

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 19, 2017 12:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I received some grades on a nice group of coins yesterday. It didn't feel like I got the benefit of the doubt as to the cameo designation on too many in this submission; recognizing that not all of these should have received the designation. One and only one of the coins below received the cameo designation from PCGS. How good is your eye? Can you find it?

(Yes, I know you can check the certificate numbers if you want...but that's not the point.)

Coin #1

Coin #2

Coin #3

Coin #4

Coin #5

Coin #6

Coin #7

Coin #8

Coin #9

Coin #10

Coin #11

Coin #12

Coin #13

Coin #14

Coin #15

Alright, that's probably enough :)

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's crazy....I counted at least 7 that I would call cameo.....maybe just 6.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 7:43AM

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 what a coin

congrats.. :'(

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Nice group of coins.
    I looked up 5 of them thinking they had CAM potential.

I had the same problem on a Morgan dollar PL/DMPL submission, none were DMPL and some didn't even merit a PL designation.

I think in general PCGS has really been a lot tighter lately on given out designations on any of the series.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 9 or 15.... there are certainly others.... but you said only one was designated. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great group of coins!
    The CAM designation seems so arbitrary.....I know when I have submitted coins it seems that the weaker of the coins get the designation and the stronger ones do not??
    For example: borderline contrast but virtually flawless coin will get a 66CAM.
    Deep B&W cam+ with a stray hairline or two will not get a CAM but will get a higher grade than it should: PR68.
    I confess I don't understand the logic of the TPGs but here goes...
    I had trouble between 14, 12, 10, 8. 7 and 5.
    That being said, it's probably none of them.
    I'll take 14 though.
    Obverse carries it.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Coin 9.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin #8, 1955 Franklin Half-Dollar, I'm guessing PR67CAM. and no, I didn't check the cert number.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

12?

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it is between 5 and 6 so I guess 5.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmm, deja vu?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Since I did call it a Thursday morning quiz, I figure it's time for the answer.

@KellenCoin and @ricko are the only two that mentioned the one that actually got the cameo. They gave #9 a 68 CAM. I'll post the other grades after lunch.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought #5 if it's only one. But I've really NO idea, since I would have though most of them would have passed as CAM or DCAM.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mt eye is NOT that good :smile:
    I will see what others think here :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Yeeeaaayyyy.....I got one... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice stuff, and they seem to have been tough on you

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, it makes it much harder to know that only one of these got the designation. Picking a list of them as candidates would be easy, but if you start with a half-dozen candidates you like and then nit-pick, I can find a reason to eliminate any of them... some of that might just be the photography. I'll guess #5, but I'm probably wrong.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the outcome would have been if you had sent each one in individually instead of all together ?
    Just thinking :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no eye for cams that's why I sell them to you.

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    Since I did call it a Thursday morning quiz, I figure it's time for the answer.

@KellenCoin and @ricko are the only two that mentioned the one that actually got the cameo. They gave #9 a 68 CAM. I'll post the other grades after lunch.

Wow, I am happy I got it right! It just seemed like the "most cameo" :)

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin #5 and I feel for you. IMO, others had a chance.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 11:25AM

Edit: I made a guess and then checked the certs.

It wasn't the one I guessed or the next 5 after that! I gave up checking at that point.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

The other grades on these:

1. 1951 Washington PR63 - Hairlines in the fields probably held the grade back, but 63 seems pretty harsh.
    2. 1955 Lincoln PR67RD - This one may get another try.
    3. 1959 Jefferson PR67 - No big complaint on this one, a dip may have helped its chances.
    4. 1952 Washington PR67 - If only the reverse was as awesome as the obverse.
    5. 1959 Washington PR68 - A dip would probably have helped this one too, it may get another try.
    6. 1942 Walker PR66 - Don't you just love that coin? My first Walker proof, I knew the sun didn't have enough, but I did hope for a 67 grade.
    7. 1950 Franklin PR65 - Hoped for a 66, but with the hairlines in the field, 65 is probably right.
    8. 1955 Franklin PR66 - Both the 66 grade and lack of cameo are pretty disappointing on this one, the reverse probably did it in.
    9. 1957 Franklin PR68CAM - The one cameo designation in the group, the obverse isn't real heavy, but the fields are immaculate.
    10. 1958 Franklin PR66 - I can only presume the toning or reverse frost kept this from a cameo designation.
    11. 1951 Roosevelt PR66 - A dip probably would have helped the grade, but probably wouldn't have gotten a CAM either way.
    12. 1955 Washington PR67 - I assume obverse frost kept it from CAM...but I think it should have gotten it anyway.
    13. 1952 Franklin PR64 - This was it's second trip out west previously it was a PR66.
    14. 1952 Franklin PR67 - Came out of the same set as the 1952 quarter above, reverse frost probably also held this one back.
    15. 1962 Franklin PR67 - Frost is probably too light on both sides.

Now I'll share the ones that were nice scores out of the submission.

PR68 CAM

PR67 DCAM

PR68 CAM

PR68 DCAM

PR67 - Moved me up to #7 in the 1950-1964 Proof Set registry standings.

PR67 CAM - Has DCAM frost on the obverse, but reverse is just a touch light.

• Options

Very nice coins...Congratulations on some real nice CAMs and DCAMs..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw 6,8,9,10, & 12 as such... and wondered why there is only one cameo in the lot. Wow. Great hunting, Don.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have picked #10 and would have been wrong. The photo of #9 shows a gorveous coin deserving of a grade of 67 or higher. The frosted devices, as showwn in the photo seemed to be moderate. Probably much heavier in hand.

Nice photos and nice coins Don. You have a great eye for quality. I really like the 1951 PF67 half dollar. Is it a ddr?

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    I really like the 1951 PF67 half dollar. Is it a ddr?

I don't think it is the DDR, Kevin.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guessed that the 1955 received the cameo designation. The obverse of the 1957 looks borderline to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file