Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grades In....Not surprised, but somewhat amused....(Some TrueViews added).

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 18, 2017 9:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Grades above, (in their spiffy new format). Grades in RED were my grades, edited into the screen capture.

• No real shockers through the first 8 coins. I was hit and miss on the Busties, (which I often am), and dead on with the Dollars.
  • I really was hoping to be pleasantly surprised with at least ONE bump up on the dollars! Just one grade up would have been a pretty good result! (Which probably explains why they didn't get the bump!)
  • The amusement is the 64 half. It was kind of a toss in, "just because I'm submitting". But, let's just say I haven't spent much time learning to grade proof coins. ;) I KNEW it had some hairlines, but figured 64 was fair. 62 is, well.....amusing. :)
  • On the plus side, I got the attribution right! It's been sitting in my collection for 15 years before I pulled it out and determined it was an "Accented Hair". Recognition at last. :)
  • Economy submission received on the 9/13, just popped today. 24 days by my count.....
Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations they all straight graded. I know PCGS does it's best to honestly grade coins without nasty surprises.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Congratulations they all straight graded. I know PCGS does it's best to honestly grade coins without nasty surprises.

I felt oddly confident on getting straight grades. The first time I did a raw, I wasn't quite so confident, and sweated the whole time. ;) (The one Gennie/Corroded I got there was one that was no doubt corroded to begin with).

I guess, if I had to pick one, I might say the Peace was the only "slightly nervous" coin. It's not the bright and shiny look, but with a more muted "matte" look to it. I looked a long time before deciding it was just the way it should look....

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say you did better than many of us (me in particular) playing GTG. Let's see a photo of the Proof when it comes back. A 62 is a fairly messed up (impaired) proof! Perhaps you missed something.

edited October 18, 2017 4:52PM

@Insider2 said:
    I'd say you did better than many of us (me in particular) playing GTG. Let's see a photo of the Proof when it comes back. A 62 is a fairly messed up (impaired) proof! Perhaps you missed something.

A bit of haze on the reverse. ;)

Not sure I missed anything as much as I really don't know how to grade proofs, and to me, PF-64 IS a pretty messed up coin. PF-65 seems to be the minimum anyone really wants!

I just didn't want to actually BUY an Accented Hair variety. $20, and a coin I forgot I had. (Amusement was a freebie). :)

(BTW: I got the "free" secure holders with the TruViews....so when I get those, you can ogle the ugliness in all it's glory). :)

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did great. You nailed several.

Larry

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that your grading skills are excellent. You can now buy RAW coins for your own account........Just don't stop buying because you seem to be very good at it.

OINK

Just got the TrueViews that I'll throw out there....with some nice ones to cover up the 64 proof that Insider2 wants to see. :) (It really does look worse in all it's "digital glory").

I picked the Morgans from my rather wide selection of raw coins because of their original luster....these two seem to show it fairly well.

1881-S, MS64, (Pretty sure this one is untouched by dips!)

1890-O, MS63, (Original luster, again).

1926, MS-64, (Nick on the cheek meant it wouldn't make 65...wish as I might. But the fields are great!)

1964 Accented Hair, PF-62, (Yeah...I didn't think it looked great to begin with...but the TrueView wasn't kind....) :)

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I think that your grading skills are excellent. You can now buy RAW coins for your own account........Just don't stop buying because you seem to be very good at it.

OINK

Eh...I don't think I'm that great. Morgans are the easiest to grade! But when I'm picking for submission, I try to be REALLY REALY honest with myself. (Well...Mr. Accented Hair didn't get enough honesty....but besides that....) :)

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny that you posted these grades today, I just finished reading your Long Beach show report last night (I had it bookmarked and only just got around to reading it) and I was gonna comment asking whether you had got the results back on this sub. Looks like you did quite well overall, thanks for sharing the results.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017 10:31PM

@TommyType said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

Eh...I don't think I'm that great. Morgans are the easiest to grade! But when I'm picking for submission, I try to be REALLY REALY honest with myself. (Well...Mr. Accented Hair didn't get enough honesty....but besides that....) :)

Funny that you and PCGS graded ALL of the the dollars the same. What is the issue???? Grading toooo tight lately?

OINK

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good results.... good eye for the larger coins.... would have to see the AH in hand to see the issues... beyond the fingerprint and the chatter on the cheek ....(hmmmm cheek chatter :D )....The TV does not show much... Cheers, RickO

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good all graded that would of been a plus for me, Nice!

Hoard the keys.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a pretty darn clean cheek on the 81-S for a 64. Nice coins.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 10:09AM

@BruceS Thanks for the fix. You got me into a very grumpy mood. <3

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 11:20AM

never mind. :)

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType
    Your estimated grades were as close as one can get, in my opinion :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your estimates were great.

Better than I usually do

Frank

BHNC #203

@ShadyDave said:
    That is a pretty darn clean cheek on the 81-S for a 64. Nice coins.

Two possibilities:

• The toning is considered negative (to some?). It's not smooth and pretty. Kinda "krusty toning"?
    • The dark spots on the eagle breast?

In either case, the 81-S is so common that they probably prefer a more...normal?....coin for a 65.

That being said, the luster poking through the darker toning speaks to me. :)

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see your thoughts and what they thought. It's actually pretty informative if you pay attention to this over the years.

One thought...... The Peace dollar was held back from a 65 grade by luster, nothing else. It's a nice looking coin.

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the spotting held back your AH as much as hairlines.

A couple thoughts to close out the thread....then it can slip into obscurity. ;)

@BryceM said:
    One thought...... The Peace dollar was held back from a 65 grade by luster, nothing else. It's a nice looking coin.

Ya know, that's probably it. As mentioned, it doesn't have the same surface look that I, as more of a Morgan guy, am used to...and I spent a lot of time looking at it to make sure it wasn't messed with. The subdued luster is probably a combination of the different surface texture that Peace Dollars have, and a thin layer of oxidation. I briefly considered whether a dip would be appropriate...but the fact that I have little experience dipping, and my general stance that you should leave coins alone walked me away from that.
    As what was probably just a whim purchase at $18 in 1999, (I checked the ol' database), I'm glad to give it a permanent home in my collection. I imagine I was buying Morgan's at the time, and stumbled upon it in the "dollar tray". "Yeah...why not. Looks pretty nice..." ;)

@ModCrewman said:
    I think the spotting held back your AH as much as hairlines.

Yeah, I'll have to look at it when it comes back, but I don't remember it looking quite THAT bad in hand. Maybe I was just lazy. But by the photo, it's certainly the thing that stands out! (I certainly don't remember the fingerprint....)
    Funny thing is: I just added it to my "Modern Type Set" registry set....and just a simple 1964 PF-62 Accented Hair half jumped me from #103 to #91. The amusement just keeps on coming. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file