Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the Grade $2.5 Liberty Gold (grade posted)

Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 18, 2017 5:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-62 on the slab. It's one of those AU-58 / MS-62 coins with a rub in the fields. In this case there is a lot of rub above the eagle's head.

I've seen some conservative grading for these coins, at least from years ago. Therefore I would not be surprised if this coin was in an AU-58 holder, if it is an old slab.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super magnification like this can be misleading... I would no be surprised to see MS63....Though looking at the pictures with all the detail... 62 was my first impression. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with 63. You cropped way too much of the coin out in the second picture, by the way, which makes it look fake.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Super magnification like this can be misleading... I would no be surprised to see MS63....Though looking at the pictures with all the detail... 62 was my first impression. Cheers, RickO

This.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 here. Nice coin!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my 1st thought was AU58, Nice coin.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017 10:20AM

@mvs7 said:

@ricko said:

This.

Actually, IMO super magnification and sharp photos as this are great. It let's us see the change of color (dull tan gold) on the high spots and the hairlines. The problem with trying to grade a coin from images is twofold:

1. The coin is only shown in one orientation with the light.
    2. With this tiny amount of rub, no one can reliably tell if a TPGS is going to call it AU or MS!

@Type2 said:
    That was my 1st thought was AU58, Nice coin.

I agree, but as I wrote "who knows?" ;)

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Actually, IMO super magnification and sharp photos as this are great. It let's us see the change of color (dull tan gold) on the high spots and the hairlines.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I think Ricko's point, which I also agree with, is that snap judgements from looking at a dime-sized coin magnified up to the size of a hockey puck will tend to perceive very slight imperfections as huge scratches or dings. You have to train yourself not to do that and focus instead on what you said.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at things another way (backwards - as that's the way I learned :) ). I look at coins using both eyes at roughly the magnification shown in the OP (7X-10X). I wish to see every thing there is to see as I tip and rotate it in the light. Now, I have a technical grade + I have judged the condition of its surface and seen any chemical or mechanical alterations/defects. As you wrote, with experience a grader learns that a huge defect on a 3CS may be nothing on an MS-66 Morgan dollar. Nevertheless, IMO, it is important to at least see it on the larger coin. Then "back-off."

Now the "back-off" part of the examination: In order to come up with an "ACCEPTABLE MARKET GRADE" I look at the coin with a 7X hand lens and one eye. Then, I may even consult a price sheet as a common coin with the very slight rub of the OP's coin may be graded MS-62 or MS-63 (price sheet $100) while a condition rarity of the same type at those grades is $6000! Thus, a coin in the same technical condition is dropped to AU (price sheet $200). I'm kidding right? >:)

BTW, to my knowledge, the technical grading I learned is only taught by a few instructors in basic grading seminars for beginners. It is done this way because it is very easy to learn and understand. If the coin has a scratch it is reported - no net grading. Next the class was introduced to "commercial grading." This takes time to learn (advanced classes taught by professional dealers and TPGS graders). Eye appeal, originality, and color rule!

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice quarter eagle...I would have guessed MS63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file