Options

T

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 26, 2017 2:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

new pix soon

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, that depends on how the 'powers that be' consider the hit below the Y.

I'd say yes, if reverse is as nice, a # grade

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say no grade because of improper cleaning. The color is off, if that is how the piece looks in person, and there are many hairlines. There are also haloes around a couple of the stars which indicates alterations in the surfaces. The mark under the "R" in "LIBERTY" will not help the cause either, especially if there is a raised spot opposite it on the reverse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either a no grade or netted down considerably......which is essentially the same thing (?)
    My vote is that they gave her a grade...like F15/VF20.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

OP stated: "but assuming its not cleaned, does it get a numeric grade?"
    Yes (assuming it is not cleaned), probably VF30ish.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Either a no grade or netted down considerably......which is essentially the same thing (?)
    My vote is that they gave her a grade...like F15/VF20.

Agree, Very tough call when it's binary grade/no grade and when its kind if close like this, looking forward to seeing the reverse, from here leaning 98.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

reverse posted. harsh halogen lamp.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now with the reverse posted and a description on the lighting I'm going with XF45!

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 7:50PM

Given the description re cleaning and lighting, I'll go net XF40.

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 5:50PM

If straight graded, it woul be a 45-50

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

kind of off topic, but I am still learning. What do we call those mushy blob things above the stars and below "STATES OF" on the reverse?

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say anywhere from XF-45 to AU-50, if it grades. Looks like the reverse has been cleaned/wiped. I see what appears to be wipe lines in the star field. The "mushy" things above the stars are clouds.

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    kind of off topic, but I am still learning. What do we call those mushy blob things above the stars and below "STATES OF" on the reverse?

A rendition of clouds.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks harshly cleaned to me.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2017 10:03AM

Here's a 2nd set to chew on. Which variety (large/small stars) and B number is this example?
    I will post a 3rd set to reveal that somewhat interesting detail.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Small stars, BD-7.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say... if they ignore the cleaning and the hit - possible due to what the coin is - then XF40/45.... hard to say on this one...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I would say... if they ignore the cleaning and the hit - possible due to what the coin is - then XF40/45.... hard to say on this one...Cheers, RickO

I suspect that you and I are "oldtimers." I agree with the XF grade but I'll bet it is in an AU slab! IMO, AU-50 would have been a better grade as it would have made more of the conservative guessers (like me) happy.

So, I'll guess AU-55 Cleaned or AU-50 straight grade. I hope it is "detailed."

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 9:23AM

@KindaNewish said:

Read more :) Spend hour upon hour looking at pictures in the Heritage Auction Archives ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

45-53, no bean

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF40 BLUE BEAN

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Finale posted on the OP

• Options

Relieved :o

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would crack the coin out and send it to NGC

• Options
    edited October 21, 2017 4:47AM

I

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since PCGS does not state the reason for the 98 how could we know. It might be the rim ding on the reverse at 6 in addition to the dig on the obverse. Or maybe a spot or planchet streak removed that we just can't see.
    I think it is a lovely coin but cannot argue with PCGS.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file