Home Sports Talk

Start spreading the news...

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yankees down 2 B)B)

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I've head this before, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously..
    A tough beat for the Bronx team. Verlander was incredible, how many SOs? 13?

I thought Judge pulled up on the home run ball, kinda looked to me like he was trying to avoid hitting the kid. I think with more hustle he couldh've made the catch, maybe he was playing too shallow. I don't know the dimensions of the ballpark, but he just looked a bit lame on the play.

Sanchez doesn't catch the ball and Altuve makes him pay. Hey, even had a ball decide not to play in that game anymore, hanging up in the fencing.

This pains me...Yankees played well, but not well enough.

Dbtunr last seen in a fetal position, pounding on the floor. :) It's only baseball, no more, no less.

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I just got home. Was at the Jersey Boys in Nj state Theatre. Will have to see the replay and read the box score.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:
    I just got home. Was at the Jersey Boys in Nj state Theatre. Will have to see the replay and read the box score.

It was a great game. Could have gone either way. Verlander pitched as well as a human could pitch

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

ugh. just saw the walk off. Missed cut off and Sanchez missed the throw. He was out by 20 feet if he catches it.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

one thing the Astros do well is keep the pedal down. that play was a good example of that thinking, force the other Team to execute or pay the price. I was surprised when Altuve rounded second because it was clear he was headed for home, no hesitation at all.

Hey dbtunr...I thought the GOAL was to leave Houston with a split? I kinda figure you must be big buds with Cashman to have such inside knowledge of the game plan. Maybe you could punch up Brian on your speed dial and maybe hang out with him Monday night in his special box, so you can share all your baseball insight with him so that have a shot to win a game.

Sadly, you don't even make mention of how incredible Verlander was. Too bad Sanchez choked on the throw.

Hopefully it won't go to game 7, I'll be in Biloxi, MS at the Beau Rivage, enjoying Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons. I suspect it'll be over by then though, so, no worries.

Enjoy the games!!

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017 3:24AM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Yankees down 2 B)B)

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would think the jealousy of Red Sox Nation would have subsided some, what with their awesome performance in the beginning of the 21st century.

Not so.

They should rename the left field wall the Green Eyed Monster...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    You would think the jealousy of Red Sox Nation would have subsided some, what with their awesome performance in the beginning of the 21st century.

Not so.

They should rename the left field wall the Green Eyed Monster...

That was pretty good. When I was younger, I hated the Red Sox. With age has come a mellowness. I root for the Yankees and don't care about the so-called enemy teams. I'd suggest to the Red Sox fans: Root for your team and have fun with it. Why bother waiting for the Yankees to lose and then gloating about it?

Daniel
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

some people would rather root against a team. That can be a lot of fun just praying for hellfire to rain down on some bunch of slobs 162 days a year.
    I do it with hockey , I root for every other team that plays the canadians to beat them .

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al puts the whammy on the Yankees' playoff opponent for the second straight series, lol.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Al puts the whammy on the Yankees' playoff opponent for the second straight series, lol.

Let's hope he starts rooting for the Dodgers.
    Yankee pitchers have given up 9 runs in 5 games to the highest scoring team in the AL

Enjoy the moment. Yankees have outplayed the Astros in the last 3 games....well done.

Sadly, or maybe not so sadly really, I won't see the next game(s). I'll be in Biloxi, MS at the Beau Rivage, enjoying a little mini vacation playing some blackjack and enjoying Frankie Valli on Saturday night.

GO ASTROS

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Enjoy the moment. Yankees have outplayed the Astros in the last 3 games....well done.

Sadly, or maybe not so sadly really, I won't see the next game(s). I'll be in Biloxi, MS at the Beau Rivage, enjoying a little mini vacation playing some blackjack and enjoying Frankie Valli on Saturday night.

GO ASTROS

Despite that last bit, good luck at the tables. I am quite jealous you'll be getting to hear the velvet pipes of Mr Valli. The Broadway show was excellent and quite the education on what a major impact they had on American music...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Saw Frankie in Savannah, GA a bit over a year ago. Wife and I agreed to see him again if we could. If you have ever enjoyed the sounds of Valli and the Four Seasons, better see him before he's gone, Frankie is at least 83. He pumps it out for 2 hours+ solid, and tops it off with "Sherry", when the crowd erupts. Of course the real Four Seasons are not with him, but 4 younger guys that sing exceptionally well...they are introduced individually by Valli, with them saying "I'm Bob from xyz, I'm Bill from xyz and finally Valli says "I'm Frankie Valli and I'm a Jersey Boy"...crowd loves it.

He's a cool guy, very earthy, can't quite hit all the high notes, but for his age, he's worth every penny and more. I am most fortunate to get more comps to the Beau Rivage than I deserve, free rooms, etc. Wife is retired from Delta, so we fly free as well...as long as there are seats, pass riding isn't what it once was. Love blackjack, normally do very well on the $50 double deck tables.

Enjoy the game(s).

Forgot...thanks for the good wishes on the tables.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope game 6 is all the Yanks need to dispatch the Astros. B)

The Yankees have never beaten Verlander in the post season. Verlander has never lost as an Astro. He is more then due to lose. Can't continue forever

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

The Yankees have dominated the Astros. Outscored them 22-9. Astros only have 22 hits in 5 games and 1 HR (barely) and were the highest scoring team in baseball this year. Altuve is their best ALCS hitter at 278. Bunch of have guys have been O-fors and Beltran has just one hit.

Verlander is 34 and just threw 124 pitches 4 days ago because Hinch was afraid to use his bullpen. Astros don't even know who their game 7 starter would be (McCullers on 3 days rest?). How did this team win 101 games without Verlander until September? When the Yankees go on these streaks they are unstoppable. The only question is the health of Severino. A few blogs question his shoulder issue and say he should be shut down for the year (over 210 innings pitched). Look for a quick hook if he falters.

edited October 19, 2017 9:19AM

The Yankees are hot and have zero pressure on them. No better combination

No pitcher in baseball has thrown more 120 pitch games in the past 10 years then Verlander. I wouldn't put any stock into the pitched of his last outing. 34 is not old as a starting pitcher. He's a horse and gets stronger as the game goes on. He is supspectable to the homer or a big inning. If the Yankees get the chance they need to jump on it.

m

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw Frankie Valli sometime between 15-25 years ago in a night club. The billing said Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. He was great but another singer took care of the high notes. I'm not sure how many if any were of the original group. Hard to believe he is still going strong. BTW getting back on topic a Yankee-Dodger WS would take me back to my early years. Love to see it happen.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now somewhere there is a group of network executives praying to the W.S. Gods for a NY/LA match up. For the 2 largest TV markets in the US. And in Asia for a Tanaka/Darvish matchup.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Right now somewhere there is a group of network executives praying to the W.S. Gods for a NY/LA match up. For the 2 largest TV markets in the US. And in Asia for a Tanaka/Darvish matchup.

It would be epic.

m

@Brick said:
    I saw Frankie Valli sometime between 15-25 years ago in a night club. The billing said Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. He was great but another singer took care of the high notes. I'm not sure how many if any were of the original group. Hard to believe he is still going strong. BTW getting back on topic a Yankee-Dodger WS would take me back to my early years. Love to see it happen.

As far as I know, by 15-20 years ago it was just Frankie and a couple of guys. If memory serves, tommy was bounced and Bob and Frank were the only ones who stayed together. Bob gave up performing years ago...

Frankie Valli...he performs with 4 younger guys who are excellent singers. They play and sing all the songs that Valli and the Four Seasons performed over the many years they were known as Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Tommy DeVito was skimming from the group and put them into a deep financial hole. Valli, who at the time was pretty much the leader of the group, said they'd pick up the debt and pay it off, and they did, credit to Frankie. DeVito was fired from the group, given some cash and blew it all in Vegas.

After being tossed by the manager of a New Jersey bowling alley, where they were to perform...while in the parking lot discussing their fate, Valli looked up at the bowling alley marquee that said "The Four Seasons"...thus the name.

If you ever get a chance to see his performance, I highly recommend seeing him. He may be 83, but he puts on a great show and truly a trip through memory lane, especially if that was your era. He closes with Sherry, which, when I saw him in Savannah, GA, pretty much brought down the house.

I'll miss the game(s)...but still...

GO ASTROS

well so far great pitching after 3 innings. Yanks have 3 hits, Astros none. Nail bitter

Why in the world did Joe take out Green??!!

edited October 20, 2017 8:51PM

V-E-R-L- _ -N-D-E-R
    I-S
    _
    B-E- _ -S-T

I would like to buy an A

“It’s hard to measure. It’s hard to fake. You either have it or you don’t,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “Verlander has it.”

m

Game 7 should be great!

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    V-E-R-L- _ -N-D-E-R
    I-S
    _
    B-E- _ -S-T

I would like to buy an A

“It’s hard to measure. It’s hard to fake. You either have it or you don’t,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “Verlander has it.”

m

Anyone who wants a good laugh (or to just feel sorry for him), should watch video of the Todd Frazier strikeout; absolute worst swing in history! :D

Steve

The Yankees have dominated the Astros.

not so in Game 6 as the series seems to be shaping up as one where the Home Team wins every time.

as I have been saying for weeks now, these post-season series' are hard to anticipate because of the way they are managed, there can't be a realistic comparison to the regular season. in a game in August, it really doesn't matter what the outcome is, each Team has to stay prepared for six more weeks. they get "streaky" and can work around spotty play and injuries, the aches and pains of a long season. not so in the playoffs.

this next game should be a classic in which 1-2 players from either Team could step up and dominate. also, from a pitching standpoint it will be all hands on deck!!! I suppose even Verlander will be telling Hinch he's available, though I seriously doubt he'd be used. the margin for error has suddenly shrunk to a big fat zero and the players nerves will be put to the test. now is the time when Veterans are most appreciated, guys who have proven themselves to be steady and reliable, calm in the face of calamity.

most Teams have 1-2 on the bench. I would think Verlander tops that list for Houston and Frazier for NY.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Why in the world did Joe take out Green??!!

Green only goes 1-2 innings.

So as much as the Yankees dominated in NY the Astros have dominated in Houston. Not sure who Astros even pitch in game 7. Watcing the Dodgers, neither of these teams will beat them

Houston slight favorite tonight. Both the Yankees and Houston will have a good shot against LA. I think Houston has a better chance since they could get Keuchel and Verlander in there twice. JV 26-5 lifetime against the National League. The other big factor is who hits lefties better as a team. The Dodgers start three southpaws

m

Watcing the Dodgers, neither of these teams will beat them

read my post above yours, strange things happen in a short series like these when everything and everyone is in play.

Game 7's for all the marbles are the best.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Money pouring in on Houston.

m

what a catch by Judge on Gatis

Great catch!

That HP Ump is horrendous calling balls and strikes!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turn out the lights....

You know what Yogi said.

Congratulations to the Astros. Now it's on to LA. One more series to go. I was really surprised that the Yankee bats went cold.

The starter for Houston sure did overachieve! When they showed his stats before the game I thought the Yanks would light him up like a Christmas tree.

Tip of the cap to the 'Stros...

...they had a heck of a year and they'll have their hands full with the Dodgers.

Yankees had a great season. Came up just a little short...

edited October 21, 2017 8:47PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    The starter for Houston sure did overachieve! When they showed his stats before the game I thought the Yanks would light him up like a Christmas tree.

I'm not sure why people would under estimate him. That was a mistake. The betting public sure didn't as they made the Astro's a pretty big favorite tonight. The guy was 14-7 this year with a 1.19 WHIP and 162K's in a 145 innings. Plus he pitches great at home. Plus the Yankees aren't very good on the road.

mark

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    You know what Yogi said.

"I'm smarter than the average bear."

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Great game tonight and the Red Sox also made a great choice in their new manager, Alex Cora. He will not be announced until after the world series but he is the one.

edited October 21, 2017 8:50PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Tip of the cap to the 'Stros...

...they had a heck of a year and they'll have their hands full with the Dodgers.

Yankees had a great season. Came up just a little short...

They probably overachieved but they are way ahead of schedule. The experience will do them good. They will be amongst the favorites next year. Very nice club

The Astro's made every play at the plate and they Yankees didnt make a one. It made a huge difference in the series. Sanchez has to improve his catching skills.

m

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I'm not sure why people would under estimate him. That was a mistake. The betting public sure didn't as they made the Astro's a pretty big favorite tonight. The guy was 14-7 this year with a 1.19 WHIP and 162K's in a 145 innings. Plus he pitches great at home. Plus the Yankees aren't very good on the road.

mark

I was just going by the stats. The one that stuck out was the 10+ ERA.

Anyway I'm happy for Houston. Those people need something to cheer about after the summer they have had.

edited October 21, 2017 9:32PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

mark

I was just going by the stats. The one that stuck out was the 10+ ERA.

Anyway I'm happy for Houston. Those people need something to cheer about after the summer they have had.

That stat was for the playoffs and he had one bad outing which will skew the stats in a small sampling. You are right about its nice for Houston after this summer.

mark