Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

EPN Pedigree and Premiums

NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
edited October 14, 2017 9:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does Eric P. Newman pedigree sell for any premium. I see so many common dates in NGC holders, but my question is more pointed towards a EPN label NGC graded rare gold coin (< 50 pop) - Do they attract higher than market value (auctions) premiums?

Numismatics & Photography
rv@ravenumismatics.com
Instagram.com/coin2photo

Comments

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

So... should I assume that it does not carry any premiums?

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numiven said:
    So... should I assume that it does not carry any premiums?

correct

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The EPN/Green coins brought tremendous premiums at auction. I bought and resold a couple of the Barber Half's after the auction for around 1/2 what they sold for in auction...but still some premium over non pedigreed.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 7:47AM

The HA bidders paid the pedigree premium.

On the secondary market many who had auction fever at HA then flipped them on eBay took some mighty nasty beatings.

As I recall even Newman's Details/Cleaned common date Peace $1's sold at HA for more than MS65 money :smiley:

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedigree's/provenance are meaningless to me..... I just do not care who owned the coin prior to me. I care more about imagining who may have received, carried and spent the item..... unfortunately, none of that is knowable. Fun to imagine though.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe a good pedigree is valuable, as it documents the coin as having been carefully preserved and not likely to "turn."

Conversely, coins with bad pedigrees impair the value of a coin. There was a collector who passed away some number of years ago, who always "processed" his coins to make them look "better." Knowing that, I certainly wouldn't want to purchase any of those.

For this set, I'm just the 3rd owner in over 130 years --

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    I believe a good pedigree is valuable, as it documents the coin as having been carefully preserved and not likely to "turn."

Conversely, coins with bad pedigrees impair the value of a coin. There was a collector who passed away some number of years ago, who always "processed" his coins to make them look "better." Knowing that, I certainly wouldn't want to purchase any of those.

For this set, I'm just the 3rd owner in over 130 years --

Time for a fourth?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file