Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dang. The Cardinal Collection Stack's Baltimore (NEWP)

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2017 8:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I hope to snag one of these treasures. Lordie

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy smokes that is some awesome collection

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing pieces! I wish I could afford them.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said: "I hope to snag one of these treasures. Lordie."

Just one? You're being modest to throw the other bidders off, right?

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @Justacommeman said: "I hope to snag one of these treasures. Lordie."

Just one? You're being modest to throw the other bidders off, right?

One would make me happy. Two would make me happier and my wife less so. Best to keep expectations low as one could easily be blown out of the water when not offen available pieces come to market.

The consigner has been a mentor to me so to snare a piece would be sweet.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will be a table at the show selling pants with very deep pockets for those buying.

Fantastic coins and medals -- and only the barest hints of what else lurks. :)

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had thought that collection was supposed to stay off the market for a generation or so...guess not.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

Just curious and uninformed about the major market players...No need for anyone to answer but I hope someone does:

So, Martin Logies (is he a coin dealer?) is the curator (also sole buyer?) and has helped to assemble a fabulous collection (Cardinal Collection) for a group of unknown investors. Spending other peoples money on great coins while assembling a great collection sounds like a dream job.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

")

Stay away ftom the medals man.
    :p

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

where is Cardinal??

• Options

@Flatwoods said:

@Justacommeman said:

")

Stay away ftom the medals man.
    :p

I saw them first! :'(

mark

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I still got catalogs but SB cut me off when I switched to exonumia even after bidding on over 200 lots in the Ford sale :(

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only I could raise enough capital quickly enough to seriously pursue the 1792 silver center cent...

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Just curious and uninformed about the major market players...No need for anyone to answer but I hope someone does:

So, Martin Logies (is he a coin dealer?) is the curator (also sole buyer?) and has helped to assemble a fabulous collection (Cardinal Collection) for a group of unknown investors. Spending other peoples money on great coins while assembling a great collection sounds like a dream job.

When you look up Numismatist in Webster's dictionary they just show his picture.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any Lincoln looks at Kennedy pennies in the sale? ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for nothing, but do those coins really need a CAC?

• Options

mark > @jmlanzaf said:

A lot of medal guys would say the same thing about the holders themselves

mark

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Newman finest known 1797 Draped Bust PCGS 64 9 X 7 stars dollar looks amazing!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

I just hope TDN doesn't jump bid me on anything

m

• Options

@Broadstruck said: "When you look up Numismatist in Webster's dictionary they just show his picture." >:)

Very funny. :) I saw his picture, I listened to his video presentations. I'm a "shut-in." Wheelchair, get it. :wink:

As I said, I don't know about the big world you guys deal in. I don't question his credentials (he mentored @Justacommeman) but I never heard of him so I was curious. He must be well-known if he is in Webster's. He is not in my dealer directory and I cannot lay my hands on the PNG dealer booklet to search it.

There are a lot of important folks in this business. I don't know them but many I would recognize by a photo but not a name. So I asked. Is he a dealer? Is he the main buyer for the collection? As I said, it seems he has a wonderful job!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

He won't....Laura will do it for him. ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark > @jmlanzaf said:

mark

oh, i know, believe me. I just bought some Pan-Pac medals and the first thing someone said to me was to send them in for slabbing. Kills me...

But especially for those. They are already the finest known with impeccable pedigree in slabs. We really need JA to tell us that they are nice? And, if they fail to CAC are we supposed to decide they shouldn't be owned?

It's one thing when it's a run of the mill coin in a run of the mill grade. But when it has that solid a provenance...seems like a waste of 20 bucks.

• Options

That's why Cardinal had them CACd cause Laura can't bid on anything without a sticker ;)

• Options
    edited October 12, 2017 1:47PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark > @jmlanzaf said:

mark

oh, i know, believe me. I just bought some Pan-Pac medals and the first thing someone said to me was to send them in for slabbing. Kills me...

But especially for those. They are already the finest known with impeccable pedigree in slabs. We really need JA to tell us that they are nice? And, if they fail to CAC are we supposed to decide they shouldn't be owned?

It's one thing when it's a run of the mill coin in a run of the mill grade. But when it has that solid a provenance...seems like a waste of 20 bucks.

I hear you. I guess it can't hurt. I know I like uniformity.

I'll go one step further. Most of these Cardinal coins and and especially the medals in this offering don't even need grades. The pieces speak for themselves. To be honest I didn't even pay attention to the grades when I saw the email

mark

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

How very Legendary of them. Maybe we’ll start advertising that the other auction firms just don’t Stack up. :D:p

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 4:22PM

Better bid early, what with that slow 3G connection...

• Options

@OriginalDan said:
    Better bid early, what with that slow 3G connection...

Jajaja!

m

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Go for it "Big Guy"! ;)B)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a way to jump him first

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver center and store card for me

The dollar caught my eye. I then noticed the reverse had a dark center that hides the details, which seem a bit weak on a non-relative scale.

The colors and even the location and pattern of them on the obverse is great

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

as Ralph Kramden would say, hommanah-hommanah-hommanah.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are marvelous coins and medals.... certainly the 'creme de la creme' on the market... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot's of great coins and medals in this auction. However, I think great collections should be bid in a group, much like Northern Lights Collection in Legend's auctions. I really do not like to take the time to review every listing to find the Cardinal coins.

OINK

• Options

I hear what you are saying but this is a rather small group of Cardinals coins and medals being dispersed. They cross a few categories to boot. I guess they could have grouped most of them in the Americana section together.

m

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Broadstruck said: "When you look up Numismatist in Webster's dictionary they just show his picture." >:)

Very funny. :) I saw his picture, I listened to his video presentations. I'm a "shut-in." Wheelchair, get it. :wink:

As I said, I don't know about the big world you guys deal in. I don't question his credentials (he mentored @Justacommeman) but I never heard of him so I was curious. He must be well-known if he is in Webster's. He is not in my dealer directory and I cannot lay my hands on the PNG dealer booklet to search it.

There are a lot of important folks in this business. I don't know them but many I would recognize by a photo but not a name. So I asked. Is he a dealer? Is he the main buyer for the collection? As I said, it seems he has a wonderful job!

Here is some good info in his own words. It is in the intro to the 2013 auction catalog of the Cardinal Collection as found on the Newman Numismatic Portal.

https://archive.org/stream/2013_01SBG_Jan2013_NY_Cardinal_Catalog_LR#page/n9/mode/2up

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

Thanks. So.....Is "Mr. L" a coin dealer who would take a table at a major show or does he just buy coins for people?

Why all the secrecy? I'm not going to stalk the man! o:) A PM works too.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Thanks. So.....Is "Mr. L" a coin dealer who would take a table at a major show or does he just buy coins for people?

Why all the secrecy? I'm not going to stalk the man! o:) A PM works too.

Neither

m

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to tune-in to those "high brow" auctions just to see the absolutely nutso prices they bring...this should be no exception.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Thanks. I think I shall sit in an auction room soon and see what's going on. I'll have a bright red handkerchief in my jacket pocket and genuine turtle glasses with dark brown lenses.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Thanks. I think I shall sit in an auction room soon and see what's going on. I'll have a bright red handkerchief in my jacket pocket and genuine turtle glasses with dark brown lenses.

There will be 30 other guys dressed the same

mark

• Options

I have long blond hair and none of them will be dressed as I will. :wink:

• Options

Sweet

m

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice!!! :)

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great collection. Congrats @cardinal

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji