Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is your "Latest or Greatest" Found in a Roll Coin ?

Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
edited October 12, 2017 6:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Other than a few Wheaties ,sometimes you find something cool B) Here's what I just found. A 1983 1988-S Proof Cent.Why would anyone spend it ? Post a picture if you found something cool in a roll hunt. Got in change is OK too ! :)

photo index.gif

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like an 88 to me! :smile:

• Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 1:39PM

Your Right !Thanks (Cleaning Eyeglasses)LOL :)

photo index.gif

Great Find ! Got some of these to check now.

photo index.gif

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2014 I found two 1858 FE cents in one month. I found an 1865 IHC in the reject slot of a coin machine just last year. Over the past decade I have found three dozen IHC cents from 1873-1908 in roll searches.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    In 2014 I found two 1858 FE cents in one month. I found an 1865 IHC in the reject slot of a coin machine just last year. Over the past decade I have found three dozen IHC cents from 1873-1908 in roll searches.

Those are some incredible finds. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are quite amazing finds!!!!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best I ever did was finding a dime in a roll of cents back when I worked at Walgreens. (In a previous life, like 40 years ago...)

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    Technically found in a bag of Ikes, but whatever.

A broadstrike?

Frank

BHNC #203

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Found these roll searching for Wheaties :smile:

I've found a few '09 VDB's but none that nice.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray , @SaorAlba

I went through thousand of rolls to find those, and saved all of the copper cents..................alas I just finished cashing in all of the copper cents as I decided it was not worth keeping them. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find @Bigbuck1975 :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early this year, while going through a roll of halves (hoping for silver Kennedy's) I found a 1941 WLH... about XF40....Cheers, RickO

• stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Found this one at Walgreen .
    1968-D Kennedy FS-101 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzSoNhhDNA8

@FadeToBlack said:

@Treashunt said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    Technically found in a bag of Ikes, but whatever.

A broadstrike?

Double struck broadstrike with a reeded edge. First strike was normal, second strike was out of collar. Graded PCGS 62.

neat

Frank

BHNC #203

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel, found in a roll of new (2016) nickels,

@1630Boston said:
    @mannie gray , @SaorAlba

I went through thousand of rolls to find those, and saved all of the copper cents..................alas I just finished cashing in all of the copper cents as I decided it was not worth keeping them. :smile:

Those are still great finds...the oldest Lincoln I have found is a 1910. I have yet to find a 1909.
    I think I have only found 2 or 3 Indians in 45+ years of looking, and one of them was dateless and corroded (looked like a dug coin.)

As to @SaorAlba...wow is all I can say. I will have to be kept alive for several more lifetimes cryogenic-ally (sp.?) in order to equal that! And a Flying Eagle..make that 2....amazing!

@stash said:
    1968-D Kennedy FS-101 .

Nice one StashMan!
    I have cherried that variety but never found one in change!
    Cool.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3

@mannie gray said:

@stash said:
    1968-D Kennedy FS-101 .

Nice one StashMan!
    Cool.

I've lived in my neighborhood for 22 years and Walgreen always lets me go through their cash register ...

@stash said:

@mannie gray said:

@stash said:
    1968-D Kennedy FS-101 .

Nice one StashMan!
    Cool.

I've lived in my neighborhood for 22 years and Walgreen always lets me go through their cash register ...

That's a definite bonus.
    Have you trained them to put aside "oddities"?
    Although I guess the staff turnover must be fairly high....and unless a coin is "old" or very different-looking, most people don't know what guys like you and me are even looking for.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't take a photo at the time, but I found one of the old original Hobo nickels in a roll of junk mixed date buffs.
    I traded it at a FUN show towards a 26D buff in XF that I needed for my set.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@mannie gray said:

@stash said:

@mannie gray said:

@stash said:
    1968-D Kennedy FS-101 .

Nice one StashMan!
    Cool.

That's a definite bonus.
    Have you trained them to put aside "oddities"?
    Although I guess the staff turnover must be fairly high....and unless a coin is "old" or very different-looking, most people don't know what guys like you and me are even looking for.

They do put stuff to the side for me .
    I live in a neighborhood with a lot of older people .
    I'm good friends with the managers and the other morning, 2 of the workers call in .
    Since I was there that morning when they were opening, I had to help open the place .

It is nice to be trusted .......

• My local Walgreens won’t give out half dollars anymore. They told me that all halves have to go to Corporate.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2017 4:11PM

Latest, and greatest, would be this I guess. Found this while searching Kennedy Half rolls. The date is two years before my Dad was born, and he put coins like this in his collection that were found out of circulation. Dad told me when he passed on his collection; that, he was more focused on filling holes in his book than condition of coin...when I found this one searching rolls I thought about what Dad found, and wish I could of whispered in his ear, back in the day........, "it's about condition baby."

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a roll of quarters in one of those clear plastic rolls so you can see the edges of all the coins...one in the center has no reeding. I haven't opened it yet, but it's either a blank planchet, or a slug.

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Open that sucker up! I can think of a few other things it might be. An old coin that has worn off the reeding perhaps? Maybe a foreign coin?

Jim

Okay Jim, I'll open it and let you know what I find. I never thought of finding an old coin. I guess I should find some gloves...

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a 1983 doubled die reverse 1c in a bank roll a couple years ago, my best find. Graded MS64RD by our host!
    Would post a picture, but Photobucket is holding my old photos for ransom.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@MaineJim said:
    I have Coin Roll Hunted for quite a while and had some great finds, but I doubt I will ever top this find from a few years back. As crazy as it sounds I once stopped in a local bank during my lunch break and asked for halves. I got about $300 which was all they had in the vault. I got to my car and opened the first roll that had the oldest looking roll, skunk and figured that was what was coming but I opened up the next one and it was solid silver and all Walkers. This continued for every roll with mostly all Walkers and Franklins with a few Kennedys thrown in. I think in the end there were 29 rolls of 90% silver along with a couple rolls of 40%. Just an amazing find that day.

Jim

wow!
    amazing

Frank

BHNC #203

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn't in a roll............but in a jar of Cents given to me by my spouse's uncle. It was an AU-58 1971-P DDO Lincoln (Class VI, Distorted Hub Doubled Cent).

I coudn't believe my eyes.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mainejim: That is fantastic! You need to play the Loto.

No way can beat that.

I did get a $20 roll of half's at a local bank few years back. It was a solid roll 1959D of Gem Franklins. Sent in a handful of them and came back MS65 and MS65 FBL.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Finally opened that roll of quarters in the clear plastic roll...the quarter in the center without reeding was indeed a blank planchet! The quarters were all from 2003. So now I wonder, how much is a blank planchet worth? The roll of quarters were in superb condition, uncirculated, full of luster, the blank planchet had also been uncirculated but had some light scratches on it like it had somehow gotten stuck somewhere in a minting machine. At any rate, it's pretty cool.

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is better than a slug - post a photo if you get a chance. You won't get rich off it but it is a nice find. I'd just put it in a 2x2 and add it to the collection. I have a 3-ring binder full of all my strange CRH finds including the odd foreign coin. Makes it more interesting than just searching for silver.

Jim

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stash said:

@mannie gray said:

@stash said:
    1968-D Kennedy FS-101 .

Nice one StashMan!
    Cool.

I had this same privilege for a couple of years when a friend from our local darts league managed a Speedway gas station here in the neighborhood. I always got to look through the three automatic change machines for silver whenever I stopped in. After a while he started doing it for me. Was able to get quite a few silver dimes from this source, I'm guessing two rolls or more in that time. And perhaps around ten silver quarters, including a 1930 SLQ. Occasionally a 40% Kennedy would turn up and I also scored two freshly spent proof Franklin halves. Nice to have a little setup like this!

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Best I ever did was finding a dime in a roll of cents back when I worked at Walgreens. (In a previous life, like 40 years ago...)

I take it back. I'm cashing in rolls of coins that are basically face. (I just dumped $200 worth of bicentennial quarters and halves into a coinstar...) I opened a roll of bicentennial quarters and found this:

Yeah, it's corroded, damaged and worth a cent, but it's still more intersting than a dime in a roll of cents... :)

@JRocco said:
    Opened a roll of coins to put in my cash register and the entire roll was Mercs.
    This was one of them.

Holy @#**! B)B)

@MaineJim said:
    I have Coin Roll Hunted for quite a while and had some great finds, but I doubt I will ever top this find from a few years back. As crazy as it sounds I once stopped in a local bank during my lunch break and asked for halves. I got about $300 which was all they had in the vault. I got to my car and opened the first roll that had the oldest looking roll, skunk and figured that was what was coming but I opened up the next one and it was solid silver and all Walkers. This continued for every roll with mostly all Walkers and Franklins with a few Kennedys thrown in. I think in the end there were 29 rolls of 90% silver along with a couple rolls of 40%. Just an amazing find that day.

Jim

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You were in the right place at the right time and asked the right question.
    A numismatic/precious metal syzygy of sorts.
    That is amazing.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep finding stuff in my mailbox, reminding me to keep looking. I’ll find something in this mess , one of these days.

Great Stories Keep it coming POPCORN photo popcorngif.gif

photo index.gif

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

Older find, as not have been 'active' in my roll searching lately ..... I have never seen another one of these.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file