Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your "Latest or Greatest" Found in a Roll Coin ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried posting some photos of that blank quarter planchet, but they haven't shown up here yet. How long does it usually take to post a picture?

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Onastone tried posting some photos of that blank quarter planchet, but they haven't shown up here yet. How long does it usually take to post a picture?

Immediately.Click on the square box on top Right upload and click post

photo index.gif

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Latest was two, off-center (15 to 20%) 1995 Lincolns in a BU roll (1996 or 1997).
    Prior to that the latest was a Merc dime in the middle of a cent roll (about 1985).
    Greatest was a 1908-S Indian Cent in a cent roll (early 60s).

• Options

I keep getting "Your comment will appear after it has been approved." I tried three different photos. One twice!

• Options

I can see them on PREVIEW. But when I click POST COMMENT, it seems they are just saved to DRAFTS.

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

The best I have ever found in a single roll was back in 2006, I had bought a few boxes of nickels and in one of the rolls in the second box I opened up, I found 7 2005 Bison Nickel "Speared Bison" Varieties. I sent them to PCGS to get graded and 3 came back as 65's and 4 as 64's, that was a pretty good day. I looked through some more rolls, found a couple of others that I also sent in, they came back as 64's and 63's. After going through some more rolls and not finding any more I put the rest of that box and all of the other boxes away to go through sometime with my daughter but have never got back to looking again. I keep saying we'll get to them one day and just haven't yet, but hopefully will some day before I pass on or end up selling all of the other rolls and boxes or they get handed down to my daughter because I did pass on (hopefully that won't happen any time soon). I'll post a picture of them someday when I get to where they are stored.

• Options

The roll had a mysterious coin in the center...

• Options

It was a blank planchet!!! Had lots of scratches on it though...

• Options

I doubt it's worth much, but still a pretty cool find!!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool I never find any thing. ;)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never had that happen. Thanks for posting the photos.
    Jim

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Found this searching Kennedy Half Dollar rolls about 8 years ago.

• Options

Wow! Makes me want to go get some Half Dollar rolls and start searching!!!!!!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess they weren't Kennedy Half Dollar Rolls then! :D

@MASSU2 said:
    Found this searching Kennedy Half Dollar rolls about 8 years ago.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rich49 said:
    What is your "Latest or Greatest" Found in a Roll Coin ?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Found these roll searching for Wheaties :smile:

Cool. So did I, kinda. I found a 1909 P in at least AU58 BN in a coin roll in Vermont. I saw the reverse first and expected a late 50's wheatie. When I flipped it over, its iconic date blew me away. I figured it was XF-AU at the time but when I examined it with a lens, I couldn't see any clear evidence of wear through the milk chocolate patina. Unfortunately, it's in my 7070 Dansco with my other 'best find', a 1921 dime in G4 found in change, and I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

I also found a Lincoln with nice large rim cud. Someone else in our middle school coin hunting club found a blank planchet and a decent 24-D Lincoln. Finding significantly rare dates like early S-mint coins was very rare back in the late '60's to early '70s. I never found one and I searched the equivalent of well over a thousand rolls.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file