Home U.S. Coin Forum

SBA what is it.

1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back in 1979 I went to my local bank and got a roll of the new SBA dollars to save. I found this one in the roll. This is the only one I saved from that roll of Uncs. I don't know if it is struck thru grease or something else. The edge reeding looks like all the rest in the roll. What is your opinion?

Have a good day, Gary

Comments

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

That'd be my guess too on struck through grease; but, what does it weigh? Verify that it was struck on the right stock for SBA's, and not some other denomination is what i'd do.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck thru grease

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Agree, struck thru grease

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check, check - yep

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep ... I agree with the above... I do question all the nicks and dings on a new roll from the bank.... however, I do not know the subsequent history of your coin.... i.e. in your pocket, kept with other coins etc. Cheers, RickO

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is going on with the lettering in "In God We Trust"? Crazy strike doubling?

• 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments. I thought it was struck thru grease. The marks on the coin were there when it came out of the roll. It looks to be typical planchet marks that are usually struck out when the coin is struck. Since the grease kept it from being fully struck the planchet marks remain. The marks are planchet marks not wear marks.

Have a good day, Gary
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like struck thru grease on both sides.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea on value, but nice find from a roll.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice error.
    Should have some value.....I would value it at $25-$30 but that's just a number that popped into my head.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

That kind of stinks. At that price level it isn't worth slabbing but without a label officially declaring what the coin is, he will have to re-explain or re-justify the error determination every time he shows it to someone (or sells it).

But it is still a nice find.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I mentioned in previous post; probably struck though grease- but, here is an example of a quarter that was struck on dime stock so you are aware what I was referring to in previous post. See how the thinner stock not intended for the denomination can give the impression of struck through grease? Pretty cool effect. Anyway, nice find!

This 1970-D quarter weighs 4.23 grams. Normal weight should be 5.67 grams.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great info here, now I must definitely open the 5 bank rolls of SBA's that I bought in 1979......... :smile:

see my recent thread if you have not

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/988051/what-to-do-with-sacagawea-dollars#latest

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe that was almost 40 years ago............I was a kid back then. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file