Home U.S. Coin Forum

1793 Strawberry Leaf Cent on eBay Counterfeit

This seller, monfutsu, is selling a counterfeit 1793 Strawberry Leaf cent. He has already been advised that it is a counterfeit, yet he refuses to remove the listing. Instead, he added this disclaimer, which is against eBay policy on selling counterfeit coins:
"I feel an ethical obligation to update the product description and inform potential bidders that I have a couple of members that have emailed me with concerns about this particular coin. While what they are saying is that something about the coin that leads them to conclude that is must not be real. But when I ask what and why what I get is that the coin is in too good of a condition. Nonetheless, I dont want to discount their concerns. Then, I have others contact me or email me after bidding and I inform them of the concerns I have received, who have explained to me the reasons why this is a real coin. Both seem to make valid points and have me convinced when communicating with them. I am new to even learning about the art of coin collecting, but I am not a collector. Since what I can revise is limited once members have bid, I just felt it appropriate that I let this be known. if for any reason you are not comfortable."

This guy is a real piece of work:
ebay.com/itm/1793-Vine-and-Bars-Edge-Wreath-Large-Cent-Coin-/202070992094?hash=item2f0c5ea4de:g:NPsAAOSwFhFZ0dY-

Pics of counterfeit coin:

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017 8:15AM

A very bad counterfeit at that!

Thank you for posting the images.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

I advised him that ALL of his coins are counterfeits, but he seems intent on ripping people-off:
    https://ebay.com/sch/monfutsu/m.html?item=202070992094&hash=item2f0c5ea4de%3Ag%3ANPsAAOSwFhFZ0dY-&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a devious con artist.....Cheers, RickO

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

can you report him to Secret Service?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very creative write up by the eBay lister LOL!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

it went poof

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

The finest known Strawberry Leaf Cent, by a wide margin for just $250, including shipping. :o If you can't smell a rat, you don't have nose. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

reported all his auctions.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Just junk.

• RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Reported.

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what he replied to me after I told him his stuff was fake:

"All coins have been taken to a coin dealer and given the green light. So, maybe if I knew and trusted you I would believe what you are saying. But I dont and am going to trust my local dealer. I have pulled a coin that I had received a couple of concerning messages from. I hope that you understand that I do not mean to sound dismissive. I have not received any other concerning messages about the coins other than for the 1793 Vine and Wreath which I have pulled."

I wonder what coin dealer he took them to?

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017 6:46PM

I wonder what coin dealer he took them to?

Likely, none.
    Most likely he bought the stuff from Chinese counterfeiters and now is trying to stall to get the stuff sold.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you click on OP's link now a completely different coin is displayed.

A friend on the inside says this isn't due to hijacking. It was an ebay bug (when you click on a link and the wrong listing is displayed).

Supposedly the bug has been fixed.

Does anyone know what the ebay item ID was for the original fake?
    Lance.

• ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

EBay item number was 202070992094. You can still pull up the picture from this listing at:

https://coincommunity.com/ebay_tools/get-large-image.asp?mode=202070992094

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file