Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

October pickups.....

seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

September was an unbelievable month with the sheer amount of variety and interesting items...cards, collectables, memorabilia. Even the "odd-ball" stuff was really cool and amazing. I couldn't name my top 10 favorites but I can easily remember most that would qualify. Thanks for sharing, they are so much appreciated and let's keep it going into October.....

I started Sept with a cool QB - Johnny Unitas. So I continued bidding for these top 2 QBs (in my mind). To cover 3 generations now. I got the Brady recently but never got to scanning it. My first foray into graded "modern" cards. To counteract the nausea that the Brady caused our Steeler Nation household, had to get my childhood superstar that I recall thinking I'd never, ever get...Ever! Didn't even dare dream....after it came down (more than 50%) from the crazy peak in prices last summer. Still set me back so will be taking a break. Or, gasp, selling a couple.

Enjoy, keep them coming and let's beat September.

Who's the better of these two? Easily it's.....not even debatable. :) These aren't "amazing" to what has been shared. But fun to share with y'all none the less.

Sorry about the blurriness. Couldn't close the scanner's lid completely due to the thickness of the holder. Even by sealing the gaps minimizing the light that snuck in. And it appears that these holders scratch easily. More so than what we're used to.

And here's the one that occupies a top 5 spot in my collection....sorry about the "spots, blemishes" from the glass.
Saved the best for last.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up these cards raw with intention of grading and also picked up the 87T-8 already graded a 10. I got it the other day for $34 and last night I saw the same card sell at auction for $90.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 2:55PM

@seebelow Nice Cards! what was the grade on the Brady?

• Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Wow the Bradshaw RC is phenomenal!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 1:01PM

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff guys.

But the Bradshaw is just scary!!! Very nice pickup - that would the centerpiece of my collection!

Mike
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

KILLER Bradshaw!! Iconic Football Card. High Five!!

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@seebelow said:
    September was an unbelievable month with the sheer amount of variety and interesting items...cards, collectables, memorabilia. Even the "odd-ball" stuff was really cool and amazing. I couldn't name my top 10 favorites but I can easily remember most that would qualify. Thanks for sharing, they are so much appreciated and let's keep it going into October.....

I started Sept with a cool QB - Johnny Unitas. So I continued bidding for these top 2 QBs (in my mind). To cover 3 generations now. I got the Brady recently but never got to scanning it. My first foray into graded "modern" cards. To counteract the nausea that the Brady caused our Steeler Nation household, had to get my childhood superstar that I recall thinking I'd never, ever get...Ever! Didn't even dare dream....after it came down (more than 50%) from the crazy peak in prices last summer. Still set me back so will be taking a break. Or, gasp, selling a couple.

Enjoy, keep them coming and let's beat September.

Who's the better of these two? Easily it's.....not even debatable. :) These aren't "amazing" to what has been shared. But fun to share with y'all none the less.

Sorry about the blurriness. Couldn't close the scanner's lid completely due to the thickness of the holder. Even by sealing the gaps minimizing the light that snuck in. And it appears that these holders scratch easily. More so than what we're used to.

And here's the one that occupies a top 5 spot in my collection....sorry about the "spots, blemishes" from the glass.
    Saved the best for last.

Jesus you don't piss around when you acquire cards! Very nice Bradshaw.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

That's a mic drop on the Bradshaw. She's real purty...

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

TB looks stunning

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I just used a lot of my ebay bucks on this 1969 Griese card.

• Options
    AaronfromKyAaronfromKy Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 7:33AM

Just bought this this morning. It's the eBay picture. I hope I'm not jinxing myself.

And technically I bought these in late September but I thought I would share anyway.

EDIT: I am aware that Collectors Universe owns PSA and I posted BGS cards but as we know, they are the only company that grades Star.

• Options

Really nice card Aaron. And his son came out 15 years later? Interesting.

Griese fans are tickled pink with that one Mick - sweet card.

Mike
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

just traded a PSA 9 2011 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout RC #175 for a raw but flawless 2017 Bowman Platinum Rookie Radar Orange /25

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited October 4, 2017 4:46PM

Thanks for the Bradshaw comments. My hero since the 70's as a kid. It would be my white whale except I never thought I'd own it. I was away from here for over a year ...rationalizing for spending $....even missed the new PSA holders which i think changed the game for the better by far. Giving confidence to our hobby.

Great Griese..the pink!!...and Judges...wow.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2017 4:46PM

@erikthredd said:
    @seebelow Nice Cards! what was the grade on the Brady?

Shhhh....not sure we can post that flip here so I cut it off....but its grade is 9.5..with..9.5/9/9.5/9.5's

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest for the golf HOF RCs run...

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet Hogan card. Congrats.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

some error cards picked up cecil fielder front/ wrong back , blank front cal ripken jr / stats on back

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

A DIRK Rookie that arrived today. Pretty cool refractor!!

• Options

Gorgeous Dirk. Great pickup.

Just added the first vintage book to the collection - First Edition Wizard of Oz. Well, it technically is a gift for my mother, but we collect as a family. Looking to add Moby Dick next. I purchased this item from Rebecca Romney, who some of you may know as the book expert on Pawn Stars. She was amazingly professional and a true pleasure to deal with.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larkin: Cool Hogan. I love me some golf but just haven't gotten around to collecting anything yet.........YET.

Lots of other great pickups to start the month too.

Here are 3 cards I got back in the mail today as part of a group sub. Batted 50% for the sub. 56 card sub with 28-10s, 26-9s and two outliers 1 a 5 and 1 a 6. I missed a stain on the Foligno and snow on the Sutter. How I don't know because they jump out at me now. All were for my '85 Topps set. One of the 10s is a pop 1 and several turned pop 1s into pop 2s. All in all not bad but I was really hoping to 10 closer to 75%. May have to crack and try again on a few. I wont clog up the thread with 56 scans so here is the newest 85 Topps pop 1 and the two outliers just to publicly shame myself for such egregious oversites. ;)

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 9:07PM

• Options

Great haul, @Arsenal83

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Just picked up this one:

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Nice centering and color, very little chipping and no annoying print. One corner I am not completely thrilled with. Looks like he wants to charge the mound. One I have been meaning to pick up forever.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 3:01PM

I've been out of town working the last 3 1/2 weeks. I didn't buy much during that time. Here are the ones that were delivered while I was gone.
    James

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

WHOA! Rayfield. 63 Fleer killers. And great RCs from Arsenal

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

That Rayfield is a beast. Took me almost a year to find my 8 at the right price for my Cowboys HOF set.

Great score. Congrats!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 5:05PM

Christ, heluva Rayfield Wright up there. Random oddball for my HOF players set

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 8:09PM

Somehow never owned a Jackie Robinson card. Now I have my first.

*small paper loss on back.

• Options

the Rayfield, Fisk, Chambliss amazing cards..and congrats on Jackie..only a 2?

And I love the Wizard of Oz book...was that in her store in Vegas? Ive seen her and the store on the Pawn show. What other books or selection did they have? Def share more if u have them. Very cool.

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 8:43PM

@seebelow said:
    the Rayfield, Fisk, Chambliss amazing cards..and congrats on Jackie..only a 2?

And I love the Wizard of Oz book...was that in her store in Vegas? Ive seen her and the store on the Pawn show. What other books or selection did they have? Def share more if u have them. Very cool.

Thanks, I am very proud of the book even though it is low grade for the issue. Her store, Honey and Wax Booksellers, is based out of Brooklyn. She may have another store in Vegas or elsewhere, but I am not familiar with that. I reached out to her on Twitter, then by email and we talked on the phone to complete the transaction. Her store link is below, but she has a network of dealers to tap into to locate books. She did not have the Wizard of Oz in stock but acted as a broker to locate the book in my price range, have the book shipped to her for inspection, report her opinion on the book to me and ultimately, write a letter on her company letterhead authenticating and describing in detail the book purchased. It was an enjoyable transaction.

LINK: https://www.honeyandwaxbooks.com/

Joe

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice 2. Eye appeal jumps on it. Like this 4 I have from the same set

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

TB looks stunning> @TheMick said:

I just used a lot of my ebay bucks on this 1969 Griese card.

wow that card really pops out...great pick up!

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    A DIRK Rookie that arrived today. Pretty cool refractor!!

That Dirk is sick! What a great card.

Matt
  • Options

@Arsenal83 said:
    Some of these probably go back to September but I wanted to share them all together.

What an amazing haul of modern rookies. I love it. I have been buying up Trout RC's myself.

Matt
  • Options

There are some amazing pickups this month. Only 8 days in!!!!

Matt
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@RookieHOFers said:
    There are some amazing pickups this month. Only 8 days in!!!!

Can you show the jordans separately? I think they deserve it! xD

• Options

Lots of wow's all over the place!!!!

A couple of 52Ts to add to my small collection - think I'm up to 48?

Mike
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Hooray - another Cracker Jack! Otto Miller caught for three incarnations of the Brooklyn Base Ball Club: Superbas, Dodgers and Robins. Miller, 1889-1962, died when he fell from a hospital window after he had eye surgery. Yikes!

Three down, three to go. Unfortunately one of them is Zack Wheat - unless a smokin' deal comes, he'll be the last one I pick up.

• Options

Added six more Jordan 5"x7" Nike Poster Cards to my eventual submission pile. I haven't had any luck finding the year or card numbers for the last two though.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 9:07PM

• Options

Back to Johnny Unitas. I finally picked up a centered card from 1963. I was beginning to think a centered card from 1963 didn't exist for Unitas. And now I'm down to needing only 2 Unitas cards to complete the set. Looks like some kind of stain or ink spot on his right arm, but I'll take this one. Seems like I waited years for this card.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robert67 said:
    Not 100% sure who made this card, but it most likely came from a board game. I have wanted a card type item of him for awhile. I will do some more research, but I like it anyway.

Pretty sure the seller made that card. Oak vault? They've got a lot of cool designs, but I haven't picked anything up from them. It just seems shady that they don't mention the cards are customs and attempt to mislead people into thinking they're picking up a rare collectible. I think they'd do a lot better with a description of what they actually are and what the print runs are for each series.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 8:58AM

Extremely difficult card to find centered. I saw it listed and knew someone would happy with it. Congrats. Also what two of Unitas do you have left? I am down to just a few myself. Here is pict. of my 63 centered Unitas. I have only seen two nicely centered examples in about the last 5 years. Here is mine.

@TheMick said:
    Back to Johnny Unitas. I finally picked up a centered card from 1963. I was beginning to think a centered card from 1963 didn't exist for Unitas. And now I'm down to needing only 2 Unitas cards to complete the set. Looks like some kind of stain or ink spot on his right arm, but I'll take this one. Seems like I waited years for this card.

• Options

@robert67 I've seen a Michael Jordan card on ebay before that was same shape & somewhat similar color design as that Bolt but i couldn't tell you if it was from a game or not. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of custom card.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017 10:00AM

@JBrules said:
    Extremely difficult card to find centered. I saw it listed and knew someone would happy with it. Congrats. Also what two of Unitas do you have left? I am down to just a few myself. Here is pict. of my 63 centered Unitas. I have only seen two nicely centered examples in about the last 5 years. Here is mine.

JBrules - I need his rookie card and his last year card. Both are fairly easy to find but the rookie is kind of pricey. An 8 is out of the question and I don't think I want a 7 either. I'll probably try to find a decent 5 or 6. By the way, nice find on your 1963. It's even better than mine.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2017 1:00PM