Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

United States Mint Limited Edition 2017 Silver Proof Set - Thursday October 5th

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2017 4:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Available Thursday October 5th @ Noon EDT
Who is in for this 50,000 set limit, 2 per household? I'm torn between getting and not getting it. I have gotten previous year sets but not every one. A little over 2.48 oz's of silver for $140? That's $56 an oz. I'll probably decide at the last minute.
And I can't forget the upcoming American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set on October 19th competing for my coin budget.

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll wait a few years to decide.

Larry

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for this one- mainly for the ASE. The trimmings are a plus, and the overall display is more enticing than the congratulations set with ASE alone in a cardboard flip. I'll just get one though...don't care what they go for in the secondary market so long as I secure one! :#

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if their return policy changed prior to these going on sale?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be interesting to see if the enhanced uncirculated set saga will turn flippers gunshy on this one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

As I remember theses limited proof sets are only popular when there's something special include. This year it's the S ASE. That could influence some people. Not sure how the big dealers took to the previous years.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've backed away from the Mint's plethora of offerings and have become much more selective in what I get excited about.

I pass on this one.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not bought any Mint products in over three decades. I see no reason to change.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Will be interesting to see if the enhanced uncirculated set saga will turn flippers gunshy on this one.

HHL of 2. Even with multiple addresses, flippers could not order hundreds.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

You've never met nurmaler.. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

You've never met nurmaler.. ;)

LOL. I'm not sure what limits are on the bulk buyers. But bulk buyers aren't "flippers" in my book as they aren't trying to quickly flip them into the market. They make the market. You can't really call MCM or Bullion Exchanges or any of the other bulk buyers "flippers".

• Options

@golden said:
    I have not bought any Mint products in over three decades. I see no reason to change.

I buy 'em all the time, I just haven't kept any for myself in over 3 decades. :smile:

Just bought a 2014-S Limited Ed silver and a 2014 Kennedy set today at an auction. If I own them a month from now, I paid too much.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for 2...did great with the Graduation set and think this will be a repeat performance. 2 per household will eliminate the 10k+ returns or large cancellation problems.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    I'm in for 2...did great with the Graduation set and think this will be a repeat performance. 2 per household will eliminate the 10k+ returns or large cancellation problems.

I agree. I think the ASE will make these desirable. And risk is minimal with the HH limit of 2. I plan to keep one and hopefully sell one to lower the cost of the set I keep.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in for two, I think the ASE will keep the interest and value in these.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Is this the only coin set to get the S Proof American Eagle?

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 4:07AM

@aus3000tin No. The first set was the 2017 Congratulations set offered in April, which had a 75,000-set limit (no household limit) and sold out in like two minutes. Prices were steep for the ASE in April and May but have since fallen back. A lot.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2017 4:28AM

Congratulation sets are bringing about $120 - $150 and graded 69s are bringing about $110 - $120.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right @CoinCrazyPA this is against an issue price of about $55. The PR70DCAM PCGS examples with Congratulations Set First Strike/FDI holders are in the $240-$299 range. Even with the addition of 50,000 more sets in a few days, the total mintage is going to be 125,000 for the issue.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it could be good..... but I'll pass again for the 10th year in a row.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already have the S ASE...The set does not interest me....I am getting picky as I get older.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a bunch of 2017 congratulations sets for $200 earlier this year. Not sure I'm all that hot on this but I might still grab one or two.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Big difference between a silver eagle with 100K mintage and one with 150K

If you collect silver eagles you are stuck with rest and vice versa........

Postage, grading fees, selling cost and effort brings it down to a wash IMO.

• Options

@2manycoins2fewfunds said:
    Big difference between a silver eagle with 100K mintage and one with 150K

If you collect silver eagles you are stuck with rest and vice versa........

Postage, grading fees, selling cost and effort brings it down to a wash IMO.

How about one with a 125k mintage?

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Guess only a"little" difference

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

Could someone explain the procedure for the grading of the LE ASE? This would be the first time for the SE silver set (I've never been a buyer of these sets, as a general rule). So, I'll be in for 1 or 2. I'm thinking a First Strike PR70 DCAM set (1 Congrats set and 1 LE set) just might look attractive to those that just HAVE to have those labels.

I'll come up with something.
  • Options

@NotSure said:
    Could someone explain the procedure for the grading of the LE ASE? This would be the first time for the SE silver set (I've never been a buyer of these sets, as a general rule). So, I'll be in for 1 or 2. I'm thinking a First Strike PR70 DCAM set (1 Congrats set and 1 LE set) just might look attractive to those that just HAVE to have those labels.

Here is the web site for your question just in case you want to read it.

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

I have never done one myself that's why I am not explaining it.

• Options

They may, or may not, require the coins to be sent in the original mint folder. This has be done in the past when coins could be from more than one source. Like the S ASE. It could be from the Congratulations product or this LE set. To accurately attribute the coins to this LE set they may have to be broken out by PCSG personal.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to say, I'm going to pass on this one...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got an email from MCM with offer to buy for extra $ 85 for two sets and you pay to ship to them. Looks like it will
    be a battle of the friends and family at 12:00 tomorrow.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I will probably wait for a couple years, and then buy it if the price has gone down.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

@HATTRICK said:
    I got an email from MCM with offer to buy for extra $ 85 for two sets and you pay to ship to them. Looks like it will

So are you saying MCM wants you to buy their 2 coin sets and the total cost is $85.00 over Mint cost. Plus you pay for the shipping from MCM to your door? I guess I did not understand sorry.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2017 8:59AM

I think it's an offer to buy from MCM the 2 sets you buy from the mint for $85 over mint price but you pay the shipping from you to MCM

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@HATTRICK said:

So are you saying MCM wants you to buy their 2 coin sets and the total cost is $85.00 over Mint cost. Plus you pay for the shipping from MCM to your door? I guess I did not understand sorry.

Opposite. MCM will buy your 2 coin sets for $365.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

jmlanzaf,

Close. MCM will pay for your two sets and regular shipping from mint + $85 = rounded $ 370 .
    Shipping sealed box to them is out of your $ 85. or $ 37.50 per set less shipping cost to MCM

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

Wow that has to be a first!

• Options

It's a common thing actually. Low HHL brings these offers from dealers at various profit levels. The more the dealer wants inventory the bigger the offer.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Wow that has to be a first!

From what I can remember this has been going on for years,

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Wow I remember the Good Old Days when you bought a Whitman Coin Board then paid a fee for worn out old junk Coins to fill it up. Fast forward through years of Investment BS Years to todays prearranged flip to a BIG FLIPPER. Ah this is "Coin Collecting" in its purist form. Scramble for a bit of instant return on your investment.

Free Pizza. Or free Beer. Ahhhhhh........

• Options
    edited October 5, 2017 9:11AM

In and out
    USM053205xx

Edit to add
    Fastest email confirmation ever 12:02. Could indicate this is not jamming the checkout server with thousands of orders a second.

• Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I'm in for 2...*******6881

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in for 2 - USM05323***

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2017 9:33AM

I'm in for 4. But flip em now. Still not sold out at 30 minutes

Second pair 0822

• Options

House hold limits are slowing things down.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 orders of 2 for me, with about 10,500 orders placed between my first and last, about 30 minutes apart. I placed two orders initially, but had an offer to buy those immediately, so placed a third.

• Options

Will take longer but I expect they will sell out in a day or two. Not everyone is in front of a computer at noon.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Was in at 12:00 but after 10 minutes of processing ,nothing. Was on private browser and switched to normal one and check out was quick :o ... :)

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are really a bad buy. The pieces could have been purchased cheaper than this set. 2017 Silver Mint Set $48
    2017 Congratulations Set $55
    Total Cost $103
    This set is $140 for less coins.
    The only reason to buy is if you need the Eagle for a registry set.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2017 9:50AM

9:44am PT and I'm surprised that these have not sold out.

Best Guesstimate is that the 2017-S Silver Eagle will be the 2nd Lowest in Mintage at 125,000 coins.

Interesting.

Oops. Sorry. 3rd Lowest Mintage after the 1995-W and the 2011-s and 2011 Reverse Proof.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

@19Lyds said:
    9:44am PT and I'm surprised that these have not sold out.

Best Guesstimate is that the 2017-S Silver Eagle will be the 2nd Lowest in Mintage at 125,000 coins.

Interesting.

With a hh limit of 2, it will take a while longer.

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@djm said:
    These are really a bad buy. The pieces could have been purchased cheaper than this set. 2017 Silver Mint Set $48
    2017 Congratulations Set $55
    Total Cost $103
    This set is $140 for less coins.
    The only reason to buy is if you need the Eagle for a registry set.

Where is the congrats set for sale now at $55?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file