Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS Certified Mint Sets

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen these before. Sorta cool. Just wondering....does PCGS certify mint/proof sets in a similar fashion?

Great Collections Auction

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rank that right up there with certifying rolls of coins. In other words; not cool at all.

I don't know if PCGS does something similar, but I think I have seen NGC certify sets in multi-holders.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS does not do anything like this. Actually ANACS has only been certifying these double mint sets for a short time. There are a couple people ( I know who they are but will refrain from using their names) that were involved in getting this going with ANACS, and it is a little on the expensive side for certification. Of course if I'm not mistaken the people involved with getting these started also are the same people that got the prices in grey sheet to skyrocket on them several years ago. I kind of like the idea I just cant seem to justify sending a set in for grading. If the price comes down about 50% for certification I just might send a few in.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't see the coin
    Talk about sight unseen coins!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2017 6:16PM

What? Grading/ certifying manilla envelopes now?Lol, I guess you got to try anything to find a niche.

Didn't click link. Should have shown the multi-coin holders. I don't really hate them, they must offer some degree of protection and I'm sure they will sell .

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    You can't see the coin

Click on the link ... ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    You can't see the coin

The coins are in multi-holders, they are NOT left in the original envelope. They are first reviewed and certified as original by Original Set Verification (OSV), run by Leo Freese and Shaunda Fry.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

I stand corrected
    I did not see the holders
    My bad

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

WOW graded to the .01
    Amazing!

• Options

@PTVETTER said:
    WOW graded to the .01
    Amazing!

Each coin is graded individually, and the composite grade is calculated using a formula developed by OSV.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Being a small stamp collector this is kind of cool IMO!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea............the slabs will protect the coins.

Did anyone else notice how the Denver coins toned?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2017 9:26PM

@astrorat said:

@PTVETTER said:
    You can't see the coin

Click on the link ... ;)

May as well just look at coinfacts pics. Not my idea of looking at the coins!
    So, they are opened and then stuffed back into the envelope never to be seen again. Lucky graders!

bob :(

Re-read.....only the envelope is sealed and enclosed? I just do not get it on these.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:

@astrorat said:

@PTVETTER said:
    You can't see the coin

Click on the link ... ;)

May as well just look at coinfacts pics. Not my idea of looking at the coins!
    So, they are opened and then stuffed back into the envelope never to be seen again. Lucky graders!

bob :(

Re-read.....only the envelope is sealed and enclosed? I just do not get it on these.

The sets are certified by OSV, and the coins are graded and placed in multi-holders by ANACS. The original envelope and boards are sealed in a plastic sleeve. The cert #'s on the coins and the sealed envelope tie them all together as being from the same set.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen this before..... an overall, average grade for the set.... interesting. Well... I am sure some collectors will like it.... Obviously there are no 'stand out' coins in the package, so it may appeal to set collectors or dealers. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of OSV. Is that for real?

I would think this is a good option for those that want to protect and preserve the sets, rather than those shooting for high grades or beautiful toners.

• Options

I guess that is better than what I have seen being passed off as original mint sets that are nowhere near original!

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool but not for me.

Larry

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the idea. I'm choosing not to take part because of the grading cost. I've got a few sets I''d like to preserve but cannot justify what they're asking for grading fees.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's cool. Do they share the individual coin grades also?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent way to handle these while retaining them as a set of related pieces.

• Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Cool idea.
    It would be neat to frame them & put them on the wall all nice & tidy.

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

I really like the coin presentation, as the holders are compact in hand. Some of them have some really nice toned coins in them as well.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I like them presented this way.

I'd buy if the coins were original and nice

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017 4:11AM

Don’t c point would not waste my money.

Something like that would cut them out send ones in for slabbing worth it others to JB in 2/2.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

YOu have to remember that there are a lot of these sets that have had coins swapped out. The idea of certifying them as original with grades isn't really such a bad idea. I mean, it's as good an idea as slabbing anything.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Yawn.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ANACSPAUL said:

@Wabbit2313 said:
    It's cool. Do they share the individual coin grades also?

Yes, each coin is individually certified and has its own serial number & grade.

Hey Paul. Any chance the pricing can come down a bit? Do you guys have "specials" like the PCGS quarterly?
    I've got a 53 set I'd love to get slabbed as original but cannot justify the cost...
    photo IMG_3155.jpg

• Options

If I am reading it correctly, to have the above set graded economy, it would be $300 plus shipping? If you want imaging, add another $300. Holy Cow!

-

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoke to Leo F. a few times about this idea starting over 3 years ago. Thought it a great idea, a way to preserve and authenticate original sets. Offered to put my sets through at the start ( I have many, many sets) to help get a market supply.

When pricing came up, that was a killer. Don't care how you slant it, you can't justify grading fees that, in some cases, are more than the value of the set.

I hope it succeeds, but I don't see how without major pricing adjustments.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a great idea....as mentioned the cost is high but it is a lot of coins.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool concept, but wow, that's too EXPENSIVE.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Cool idea for a set.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they would have been cooler, and more "original", if they had put the plastic around the coins AND the cardboard holders......

To me, that is some of the coolness factor of original double mint sets.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clark-Frese Collection ....
    \
    interesting owner's name of the set.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2017 5:48AM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    If I am reading it correctly, to have the above set graded economy, it would be $300 plus shipping? If you want imaging, add another $300. Holy Cow!

-

Mooo!

Certification is expensive, no doubt. What would the same set of coins cost to certify at PCGS or NGC? I bet it's a lot more than $10 bucks a coin. ;) And you would not keep the coins as a set, nor would the mailing materials be included. ANACS price is a bargain, in comparison.

It's not a single item that is being certified, but a set of 18 to 30 (or so) coins that must be graded individually.

Perhaps an "economy" version where the set it "authenticated" as original and slabbed ... just no individual and composite ... grading would be an option?

Kudos to ANACS for being the first to enter this niche.

And I want one ... but then again, I want it for the plastic and not the coins! ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

No one would ever send all 30 coins in to be graded. Price has to come down. In looking at my 1954 double mint set, I find one coin only worth sending in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file