Home Precious Metals
Options

Do you have any sentimental metal?

Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any pieces in your stack that are special to you? Something that you would not sell regardless of how high spot prices go? Let's see some pics or hear some stories.

This is the first piece of silver I ever received. My grandfather carried this around as a pocket piece after he retired from the railroad in 1986. I don't know how he obtained it, but he ended up passing it down to me shortly before he became ill. While I never started seriously accumulating silver until I joined these forums, this piece will never leave the stack!

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no sentimental metals, although I prefer steel over aluminum. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, some worn common date Morgans and peace dollars that my grandparents gave me in 1976.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

Blued or stainless? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@OPA said:

Blued or stainless? ;)

Stainless... below is one of my favorite medals...quite common, but very well made design.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking silver round although that eagle looks like he's humping the back of Ms. Liberty's head.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2017 2:05PM

Yup...It's the Climaxing Humping Eagle Freedom Statue... ;)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure does, lmao

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a Balled Eagle???

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of Secretariat I purchased shortly after his Triple Crown win....Watched all three races, what a horse. A couple of others not quite as meaningful. I do have an extensive Challenge Coin collection with some significant pieces. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 ounce Black Hills Sterling Silver cylinder, it was given as a wedding gift to my mom from her dad. It was given to me from her as a wedding gift.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

My now wife couldn't figure out what to have with her as "something borrowed" on our wedding day a few weeks ago.

I offered to let her take any coin in my collection to keep with her as her something borrowed and she did. After looking through my entire collection for an hour, she decided on a raw 1921 peace dollar in my Dansco 7070. It is a nice AU coin, but nothing super special or expensive. I was glad i didn't have to crack something out or give her one of my expensive coins.

She thought it was a really good idea (and even admitted it to me) as it would mean something to both of us, and it is now an item that we will keep forever and turn into a family heirloom. Next time I send a submission in, I'm going to get it slabbed to preserve it and set it aside with a label to never sell.