Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The coins that every coin collector could own

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2017 1:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

How about a Pillar Dollar? Maybe a Fugio... Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

a hard times token.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2017 1:27PM

Changed from "should" to "could" to hit closer to my intent. Coins that are iconic, accessible and relevant.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 1:28PM

I have a theory that every collector DOES own a 1938D Buffalo Nickel....but it's just a theory. ;)

Added:
    To keep this on topic:
    Every collector COULD, no matter their budget, own a truly high grade, (i.e. MS-66 or so), Mercury Dime, Lincoln Cent and Buffalo Nickel...three of the more popular series out there.

Sometimes us low-grade guys like to dip into the high grade pool....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    a hard times token.

Also, you could include a Civil War token although neither are technically coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something that the trophy hunters don't want so the price stays reasonable.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice lustrous RD 1909 VDB 1c,
    Nice RB MS Indian Cent.
    Proof version of 1942-P War nickel.
    Pretty PR66/67 CAM Franklin common date.
    Just my 2c

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 2:13PM

Yes even in the AU grades they are still collectable.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 2:10PM

Morgan dollar, even a circ example.

(Someone had to say it.)

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Staircoins said:
    Morgan dollar, even a circ example.

(Someone had to say it.)

I evan had to go out and get one of those last week for the new set.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 2:40PM

A commemorative from the "Golden Age" of commemoratives (1892-1954) with a cool design to include one or more of the following:

Stone Mountain

San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge

Oregon Trail Memorial

Stone Mountain Hald Dollar This is perhaps the #1 "entry level" commemorative because they've always been available in circulated condition for a cheap price. Over 1.3 million were issued and most of them were eventually spent during the Depression. There are over 1,300 pieces in MS65 or better, with MS66 and MS67 specimens in the greatest demand.

Bay Bridge Half Dollar That glorious grizzly bear takes up almost the entire obverse, so finding a piece that isn't marked up on this vulnerable design can be challenging. One of most popular of all commemoratives due to the outstanding design. Beautiful! There are about 1,800 pieces certified in MS65/better, which is far less than 50% of the total submitted for grading and only 2½% of the mintage.

Oregon Trail Half Dollar - What is the fairest commemorative in the land? In a recent eCollector survey, 54% of the respondents chose this coin. James and Laura Fraser prepared the design, and three Mints executed their vision to virtual perfection.

This commemorative remembers the Oregon Trail and the pioneers who traversed it in the early days of the opening of the West. The coin was minted intermittently from 1926 through 1939, with a total of 14 different date/mintmark combinations. The 1933-D was the first commemorative issued from the Denver Mint.

Fortunately, numerous wondrous examples have survived, making this coin affordable to almost any collector. There are 928 pieces certified in MS67, 76 examples in MS68, and two in MS69! Let's put together the entire 14-piece set in MS67 and start today!

https://pcgs.com/News/Us-Silver-Commemorative-Coins-coins-From-The-Golden-Age

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fairlaneman said:

Ken

a-HA! A 38-D! I knew it! :smiley:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any federal coinage from 1793 to 1807

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

A common date Matron head large cent in VF-XF, and a bust half in the same grade.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to follow the idea of Coins any collector can obtain and thinking modern era I would say Kennedy Half Dollars Basic Silver Short Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-1970), earlier I would say Bust coinage with Bust quarters being a little tougher.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    I have a theory that every collector DOES own a 1938D Buffalo Nickel....but it's just a theory. ;)

First coin I submitted to PCGS was this D/D:

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

A US type set through 1840 to the extent financially feasible and especially:

1 Flowing Hair Type Coin
    1 Draped Bust Type Coin
    1 Capped Bust Half Dollar

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of each major type...but I can certainly agree with

@TomB "The coins that every coin collector should own...ones they enjoy."

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have most of the coins I like.... not all..... still a work in progress.... and will continue until it stops. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta have at least one nice Walker, SLQ, and Merc.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every collector should have at least one pre-1933 US gold coin to represent America's golden era. The Liberty $5 and Indian $2 1/2 gold coins are certainly affordable to most collectors of US coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 1:48AM

There are many coins collectors could own. I'll go with a coin from circulation.

It may be interesting to hear why collectors own or do not own all the coins that could be owned.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Every Coin Collector coulda shoulda woulda had a bunch of Lincoln 2017-P Cents if they had enough sense to realize a low mintage was in the making.

After the low mintage of 3.1 Billion ( against the typical 4.8 Billion ) was revealed, retail values of an MS70 example shot up to $11,400 each on the TV Investment Shows.

::: the above nightmare was just pulled out of my Futurists Crystal Ball

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin with more sentimental than monetary value. Such things come from personal or family relationships and represent a less commercial side of the hobby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file