Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many ways can an "S" mintmark be added to a 1909 Lincoln cent?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This question came up in another discussion. We all wish to know by what methods a 1909 Lincoln cent can be altered into a 1909-S.

Interested only in alterations NOT cast or struck counterfeits.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Tagged for interest.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 11:08AM

I have seen examples of incuse mint marks added to coins, impressed into the coin and customers boldy or ignorantly attempted to pass them off. You can usually tell by their body language if they are trying to pull a fast one, some people legitimately have no idea. As an obvious example for dealers

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    DoughDeoDoughDeo Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

This question came up in another discussion. We all wish to know by what methods a 1909 Lincoln cent can be altered into a 1909-S.

If that takes altering a 19X9-S off the table, I can only think of a few:

*Add an S with solder or epoxy. Either made from scratch or taken from a donor coin - with or without part of the field.
    *Form an S from metal in the field under the date
    *Drill in from the edge/reverse/field/devices and punch up an S from inside

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

im sure a good laser surgeon could remove and implant a MM if he wanted with enough practice.

or could do it atom by atom with a good 3D printer. look for then to show up on eBay soon.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

My father has told me of examples of the S being taken from donor coins, usually applied in the wrong spot.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options

@DoughDeo said: "If that takes altering a 19X9-S off the table, I can only think of a few:

• "Add an S with solder or epoxy. Either made from scratch or taken from a donor coin - with or without part of the field."
    • Form an S from metal in the field under the date."
    • Drill in from the edge/reverse/field/devices and punch up an S from inside."

Great answers. AFAIK, the cent is too small to emboss an "S" through the edge. Possibly will be tried eventually but have not heard of one yet. I have seen one alteration where the "S" was punched up through the coin's reverse. Not very deceptive.

Forming an "S" from the field metal has been done in the past. I'm told this is called "chasing" and only works on circulated coins unless the entire coin's surface is altered to hide the "job."

Adding a tiny "S" to the coin seems to be the usual method. The "S" is either cast or rarely machined from a genuine coin.

Never thought about the method you "removed" from your answer - THANKS!: 19X9-S! Would love to have one of those.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoughDeo said:

If that takes altering a 19X9-S off the table, I can only think of a few:

*Add an S with solder or epoxy. Either made from scratch or taken from a donor coin - with or without part of the field.
    *Form an S from metal in the field under the date
    *Drill in from the edge/reverse/field/devices and punch up an S from inside

I have seen plenty of examples of the first 2.

There's a guy who attends shows in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area who carries around a small collection of 1909 VDB cents and the added S's he removed from them, stuck to a piece of tape on each holder. It's very interesting to see the S's off the coin.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I would figure at least 2 ways..... adding it "right-side-up", or "rotated 180 degrees". Both would result in the desired "S"...... :o;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 5:12PM

• Options

Don't think that would work. :wink: Can you think of why?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 5:12PM

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way I can imagine is "intent". No need to ask why. But the answer would be to "defraud" .

• Options

@Jimnight said: "Shaving the mint mark off with a very sharp tool and a couple light taps with a very light brass hammer after heating the coin."

While genuine mint marks can be removed, once you have an "S, you do not want to hit it with anything that would damage or flatten it!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only method I have actually seen (I am sure there have been others) is the 'removal/add' method... usually with and adhesive.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really easy. First laser slice the penny in half length wise. Then with an inverted S branding iron, push the hot brand through the inside of the coin pushing out a perfect "S" mintmark exactly where it needs to be. Then pad both sides of the penny and push them together after heating to 350 degrees clamping them together. Then with a metal lathe, smooth the edges out to 1/10000'th of a mm until the edges show no sign of the penny being split in half! See how easy that was, no messy epoxy, no borrowed mintmark from another coin, no problem. Oh right, I forgot to mention, check your penny first in case it already has the "S" mintmark! And please, don't take any of that seriously, I know there really are counterfeiters out there and I really don't know how they do it!!

• Options

Yikes! Sounds like it might work and I was going to order one from you for my "black" collection!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file