Home U.S. Coin Forum

For the Morgan affecianados , Morgans are as collectable as they are cracked up to be. Grade Posted!

affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2017 8:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

All commentary and opinions whether positive or negative are appreciated. )This must be an H-9+ die state, it isn't an H10 that is for certain when inspecting in hand, trust me). And go ahead gtg:

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 8:09AM

Nice Scarface die variety I guess if your into disfigured chubby chicks ;)

What happened to Trade $1's did I miss a "when pigs fly" day here on the forum? :D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is just not an attractive Morgan....neat variety though.... Cheers, RickO

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The interest in these is purely for the die defect not prettiness.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Scarface Morgan there buddy! I say ms63 ;)

• 10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I like it ms62?

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like this one. This variety is on my wish list. I think the particular ANACS slab probably has it graded as MS-63, had it been in the original ANA or second generation ANACS holder it probably would have graded MS-62. MS-62 is where I would personally put it. :)

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool. 62

Collector, occasional seller

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photo it looks like the crack extends into the hair (H10 die stage).

But you have examined it in hand.
    Are you saying that the apparent diagonal line in the hair (from "a" to "b") is not a raised line from a die crack?

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 4:04PM

I think it got the 63 although 62 wouldn't surprise me, and... HOLY HARRISON! :+1:

The more you VAM..
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an older anacs holder. Is it noted on the slab?

@afford said:

@yosclimber said:

Are you saying that the apparent diagonal line in the hair (from "a" to "b") is not a raised line from a die crack?

Ok, so here is what it looks like in hand:
    one straight on it matches the photo exactly but when you put it under magnification there isn't any die crack there just a slightly raised ridge (not a raised line) that I assumed later becomes a raised line from a die crack as in the Vam photo, thus why I named it a H9+ possibly correctly or incorrectly. Yes this slightly raised ridge follows the path of the later actual die crack, but mine is an earlier stage, and maybe it should be called an H9+ just for that reason. At minimum it is a H9, but I am not familiar with these and hesitate to call it a true H10 when I don't see an actual raised line from a crack.
    Thanks

If it's raised that means displacement which means the crack has extended into the hair. I would call it an H10 but I'm not an expert on the scarface stages. @messydesk should be able to put it to bed.

The more you VAM..
  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan dollars - why are you now buying modern coin??? Morgans? did you ever date a girl with the first name Morgan?

Easton Collection
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like H10 to me.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge coin.

Many happy BST transactions
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:

@CascadeChris said:

@afford said:

@yosclimber said:

Ok, so here is what it looks like in hand:
    one straight on it matches the photo exactly but when you put it under magnification there isn't any die crack there just a slightly raised ridge (not a raised line) that I assumed later becomes a raised line from a die crack as in the Vam photo, thus why I named it a H9+ possibly correctly or incorrectly. Yes this slightly raised ridge follows the path of the later actual die crack, but mine is an earlier stage, and maybe it should be called an H9+ just for that reason. At minimum it is a H9, but I am not familiar with these and hesitate to call it a true H10 when I don't see an actual raised line from a crack.
    Thanks

If it's raised that means displacement which means the crack has extended into the hair. I would call it an H10 but I'm not an expert on the scarface stages. @messydesk should be able to put it to bed.

Thanks. Let me try to restate the in hand description a little. In hand the coin's die state looks just like the photo, only addition is that when you look at it with magnification the die crack that you see in the photo stops where it should at H9 and what continues is a ridge without a die crack, andthe ridge follows exactly where the die crack would be if it were an H10. But I am uncomfortable calling it a true H10 because I have never seen on in hand and thus I am assuming that on a true H10c you need a true die crack continuing thru balance of neck into the curls and not just a slightly raised ridge. Slight ridge to me isn't a die crack albeit it is the next best/closet thing I have to imagine.
    That is the best that I can describe it.

You guys are splitting hairs here :wink: . Either way, congrats on the cool, rare, and expensive variety!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better a scar face than a crackhead . MS-63.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a broken coin, hope you got a big discount.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see that as a modern 62 but I don't think it really matters. If one was looking for a scareface in an old style holder the options are limited.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

One of the coolest coins there is IMO! Thanks for sharing a monster S$1

@afford are you going to keep in the hotel soap slab or cross to PC?

The more you VAM..

@afford said:

@CascadeChris said:

This new Morgan collection is all in the small old white ANACS holders. Has' been messed with at least in last 25 years which can't hurt.

Hit up messydesk and see if he puts Harrison stages on his VSS sticker (might not be enough space) but if so I would send it to him to label it an H10 if he sees fit to after seeing it in-hand.

The more you VAM..

That could be one of the coins that Jeff Oxman sold out of a roll of them over 25 years ago for $125 a pop.

I'm still leaning towards H10. On H9, the crack stops on the neck before any sign of it reaches the hair. Once it touches and affects the hair, it's H10. The other things that show up on H10 and not H9 are additional breaks on the bridge of Liberty's nose, which I see, and a larger one lower on the main crack just behind Liberty's nose, which I think I see.

The different stages are defined by thresholds, so there is the possibility that coins of the same stage differ with each other. Die breaks don't grow in discrete, well-defined steps, after all.

@afford said:

@messydesk said:
    The different stages are defined by thresholds, so there is the possibility that coins of the same stage differ with each other. Die breaks don't grow in discrete, well-defined steps, after all.

I am still learning Morgans, unfortunately not a lot of examples of this type to learn from if you know what I mean.
    Thanks

Oh come on. "Still learning" and you own an H10 scarface, and in a hotel soap slab no less. FML lol

The more you VAM..

@afford said:

@CascadeChris said:

@afford said:

@messydesk said:

I am still learning Morgans, unfortunately not a lot of examples of this type to learn from if you know what I mean.
    Thanks

Oh come on. "Still learning" and you own an H10 scarface, and in a hotel soap slab no less. FML lol

What does fml mean?
    You have to understand I just started collecting Morgans 30 days ago, lots of catching up to do.

It means I'm extremely jealous

The more you VAM..
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

That is an amazing Morgan. I wish I was on hand when that roll was available.

This die destruction pattern is unique among all Morgan dollar dies. Unlike the usual peripheral cracks that connect stars and lettering, this one headed straight from the rim to the center, producing effects not seen on other dies. Clearly there was something seriously wrong with the die in order for this cracking and buckling to happen.

Now you need to go buy an 1881s VAM 54b "Wounded Eagle" to study as well. It's the reverse version of the Scarface. Not as dramatic but almost. And it's cheap compared to the one you just bought. You should be able to get a ms64 for around $500.

The more you VAM..
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool addition!

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Plain ugly to me.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coin!! Love it!!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:

@CascadeChris said:

This new Morgan collection is all in the small old white ANACS holders. Has' been messed with at least in last 25 years which can't hurt.

ANACS does a fine job of authenticating and grading. Not to hype another company, but there is integrity, across the vast divide here, there and ATS.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say MS62 based on the 58/62 rule. I could certainly dig having that variety in my collection! Old small white ANACS holder just adds that much more appeal to the coin as a whole! Oh... and attributed as such!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file