Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For the Morgan affecianados , Morgans are as collectable as they are cracked up to be. Grade Posted!

2»

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ultimate challenge is putting together the entire die progression of 11 die stages. The EDS are collectible, but have very little premium, if any. H2 seems to be the most common in my experience. H7 is actually quite rare.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 11:11PM

@afford said:

@messydesk said:
    The ultimate challenge is putting together the entire die progression of 11 die stages. The EDS are collectible, but have very little premium, if any. H2 seems to be the most common in my experience. H7 is actually quite rare.

I thought there were 10, H1 to H10, what would the 11th be?
    Thanks

Ahh yes the H-11 "two-face cause the scare didn't heal all that well" scarface variety...for only a couple thousand dollars more, U.S., you can have almost 2 coins for the price of 100 ;)

• Options

@afford said:

@messydesk said:

I thought there were 10, H1 to H10, what would the 11th be?
    Thanks

H0, earliest die stage with no crack on obverse, gouge through AMERICA on reverse.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

with only a few of these around I would count myself luck to have. Congrats

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@afford said:
    Thanks for the help John.... Case in point, Vam World has no info on the H0 but has excellent info on H1-H10.

H0 is cataloged as VAM 1B0. I see that the page for that doesn't mention the H0 stage by that name. I'll fix that.

Too bad there are so many VAMS that therein lies the problem imho, overkill.

The lists like the Top 100 were made to focus collectors on a more manageable set of coins that would be enjoyable to collect without being overcome by thousands of nothing varieties. I recommend people start by looking at and for these coins, and then discovering other areas of interest. The Whitman Guide Book of Morgan Dollars is no help in this respect, as it doesn't do a very good (nor in many cases a very accurate) job at noting the "variety landscape" for each date and mint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file