Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1877-CC 50C Misplaced Digit - to the far left?

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 27, 2017 10:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was just going over my Seated Half Dollar TrueView images, and I need some opinions on a potential Misplaced Digit to the far left of the date. I have included the TrueView image link so that you may play with the zoom if you wish, but it has escaped my attention up until now. Below is a zoomed in image that I trimmed down in MS Paint. I do not have the coin in front of me at the time, but there seems to be the curve of flag from the 1, circled in red. I just wanted some other opinions.

http://images.pcgs.com/trueview/60072610

Thank you for your interest and comments!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2017 10:43AM

Random image. Does'nt look like an 1877 CC "1" to me.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

no, just a scratch, and your imagination

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

...and apparently very vivid! Thanks.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks Too small to be a 1.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly a "1" punch intended for use on a different type of coin such as a Shield Nickel. I don't think it is a random mark. Very interesting.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please do this for us. Take three more images with the actual date at 9. 12 (upside down) and 3. In my experience, sooner or later we can find all sorts of images on coins. This one is interesting - for now. :wink:

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Possibly a "1" punch intended for use on a different type of coin such as a Shield Nickel. I don't think it is a random mark. Very interesting.

IIRC, by this time, the US Mint was using 4-digit logotype punches for dates. If it is an errant 1 from another 4-digit logotype, that would be quite cool. Regardless, it's a very interesting coin.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like more than a scratch to me.....looks like a 1 but doesn't match the 1 in the date!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like random scratches to me.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is also a 4 visible left of the 1

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scratch that has worn down to be faint

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

You are kidding....right. :o That is soooooooooooooooooo not a scratch!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is a random mark...between that and the date, also appears a 4.... so I do not think it is mint induced. JMO Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file