Home Precious Metals

Will Palladium become more expensive than Platinum?

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are only $2.50 apart right now! A year ago, if memory serves me right, they were $300 ish apart.
I wonder if it has something to do with demand for the new Pd Eagles coming soon?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing surprises me anymore in the precious metals market.....I would doubt (but never rule out) the effect of the PD ASE having that effect on the PM market....it will just be a dot on the radar...Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point, ricko.

Wow, Palladium is now $7.50 higher than Platinum. Interesting to see.

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kitco is still showing platinum higher by $6 ($919 platinum, $913 palladium). Either way the gap is quickly closing, faster than I expected.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a phone costs more than an ounce of platinum or palladium, it's time to harvest apples.
    I think metal is for the iron age.... unfortunately we live in the technology age where AI does the thinking for me.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gap has closed & Palladium is now the winner. The next question: will Palladium exceed Rhodium or Gold per oz?

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, sure is a strange precious metals market !!

Thanks !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading on some blog or an article about a month ago that palladium would become the same price as platinum. I thought it would happen when platinum was nearer to a $1,000 an ounce than $900. Strange things are happening in the metal markets.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

So who thinks it's not manipulated ?

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think it's strange, because unless I don't understand chemistry the properties of platinum are better than are those of palladium in every industrial use. Weird.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this isn’t too dumb of a question, but why has palladium run up so much?

@pcgs69 said:
    Hope this isn’t too dumb of a question, but why has palladium run up so much?

Hype.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium ran up because platinum got too expensive for catalytic converters, but platinum is still used for those on diesels. Now the prices are both the same with Palladium being used on gas engines. Demand for both metals should drop as electric cars ramp up. Even if it doesn't happen here, it's being mandated in the EU. It should happen here in the next 5-10 years, but who knows.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Higher than gold ? Maybe ?

edited October 11, 2017 7:28PM

I heard Rush Limbaugh give a compelling economic argument (on Monday while I was driving) that electric cars are way more cost-prohibitive and environmentally damaging overall than internal combustion engine-driven cars - and always will be.

Everything he mentioned made sense to me, including the fact that we would have to build so many new coal-powered generating plants (the polluting ones) and build such a massive infrastructure at a huge cost, just to comply with California's new 2040 electric car mandate - that it is virtually an impossibility, even just for California let alone the rest of the country.

I don't know the reason that palladium is on a tear. That one's a mystery to me.

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Limbaugh is wrong...we wouldn't need to build coal powered plants. Power generation and battery capabilities will make quantum leaps over the next 25 years.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

@cohodk said:
    Limbaugh is wrong...we wouldn't need to build coal powered plants. Power generation and battery capabilities will make quantum leaps over the next 25 years.

Forget etherium. Try lithium.

edited October 12, 2017 6:04AM

He was citing some engineering authority. I know an actual rocket scientist. I will ask him what his opinion might be when I talk to him next.

What are the coming power generation and battery breakthroughs on which you stake your claim? I'd like to start by getting in on the ground floors.

I knew it would happen.

As long as there are fossil fuels, man will burn them. As long as there is man.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

He was citing some engineering authority. I know an actual rocket scientist. I will ask him what his opinion might be when I talk to him next.

What are the coming power generation and battery breakthroughs on which you stake your claim? I'd like to start by getting in on the ground floors.

Wear rose colored glasses and all is quite apparent. ;) Haha

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

E = mc4? majic batteries? ah, I feel better now. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2017 7:36PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    As long as there are fossil fuels, man will burn them. As long as there is man.

The scientists of the future will lament at the amount of versatile and useful hydrocarbons that were simply burned as fuel in decades and centuries past.

At least much of the mined precious metals are being saved as cute little trinkets by eccentric men who post on esoteric message boards. Someday it can be melted again and transformed into something of utility.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next question, when does palladium become more expensive than gold?!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Rumor has it we are building a palladium bridge with eccentricity. But fret not. It’s fake news.

There was a brief period some time in 2001 where Palladium was four times the price of gold.

• aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hello,

Any thoughts on this Reuters article https://reuters.com/article/us-platinum-demand-automotive/platinum-demand-faces-massive-impact-from-electric-car-growth-ipmi-idUSKBN19X21V

I read somewhere online that of the 2 million electric cars on the globe, 1 million are in China. Same article claimed there are 1 billion cars. With companies like GM https://wired.com/story/general-motors-electric-cars-plan-gm/ claiming they will go all electric how much platinum and palladium demand is there going forward?

and how much of the platinum in catalytic converters gets recycled?

I'm not sure the numbers but I read recently that an electric car uses much more copper than an internal combustion engine car. So sell your platinum and buy copper.

Regards

I still call my accumulation my collection!