Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Going to my local coin show today...

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and have been going twice a yr for over 40+ yrs. The Rockford, Illinois coin show has a decent crowd and about 50-60 tables.

What's your longest tenure for a show?

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 years is impressive, Stooge.

2 or three years straight for me at local show.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did go to over 25 MSNS shows after Thanksgiving, but can't come close to 40 mostly because I have moved too many times. That is quite a streak.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe it or not, I went 45 years between attending the Bay-state Coin show :smile:

And that is the only show I have ever attended, :smile: Just working too much. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been to a coin show in the 49 years I have been collecting them.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been going to the Springfield shows since 1975. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.. Rockford, Illinois...I did consulting work there for nine months a few years ago... never knew there was a coin show there...Be sure to give us a report.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

A 40+ year attendance record at a local coin show is indeed impressive; I could not touch that. I did, however, attend 36 years of my local (Gorham, Maine) coin club semi-annual show, and for at least 20 years of that time I ran the show. 72 consecutive coin shows ... but that all came to an end a few years ago, when low attendance on the part of both the public and dealers, combined with increasing costs for the venue, advertising, security, and related expenses forced us to discontinue the show. Sadly, this scenario is being repeated all too often across the country.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forty years is pretty impressive.

My streak is 3 years - Boeing Club and PNNA Tukwila.

Can you tell I'm still pretty green?

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let Mr HalfDime fool you. He was at the FIRST coin show in Athens when the mint there distributed first strike Athenian Owls.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

Because you don't want to, or because there are none close to you?
    Coin shows are about as much fun as you can have without breaking the law.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to 48 consecutive ANA shows.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't been to a coin show since 2005

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have moved around too much. For me it would be Winter FUN since 1995.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been going for 40 years, but no lengthy streak at a specific show. Will be attending the Baltimore show for the first time in November. Always wanted to attend that venue. Shows are a great part of our hobby

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul, that is an amazing streak for attending a coin show!!!

I attended a coin show in Boston (Park Plaza) about 30 years ago and have not attended another until I started coin collecting again this year. So no streak for me as far as coin shows, but sports card show is a different story. I've gone to the Shriners Auditorium sports card show for 22 straight years or since 1995.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

A brief report of the Rockford Show today.
    Show was a one day only from 9a-3p. Appeared to be the usual dealers there, maybe about 30.
    I did meet a dealer from Ohio that had some nice stuff and does about 50 shows a year. Seemed to be more slabbed and CAC coins than at past shows. I did obvserve some parents with kids and the kids were picking out their coins. That was a pleasure to see. There were some CC Morgans, toned, more than I usually see at the Rockpit show. Prices were high on these and no wiggle room allowed:(.
    When I asked a couple of dealers how the show was for them, they said "not very good."
    One guy said he sold some slabbed dollar coins.
    One dealer had a 2013 1$ FRN that had a serial number of 00000001. It was on display, he was not entertaining offers stipulating he didn't need the money. Kind of good as well, I didn't need to part with my money either. The bill was CU.
    My son picked up a nice low serial number 1963 2$ note CU.
    I was hoping to find a nice 1921 Peace or some CC gold.
    Two dealers had some nice slabbed and raw error coins.
    Son was in town and nice to have him attend with me.
    All in all I think it was better show with more material than in the past.
    I came away empty handed though.:(
    We were there for about 1.5 hrs. Everyone was very friendly and willing to talk.
    One guy was buying silver at 11.5$/1$ FV

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc....Thanks for the report..... I am looking for a 1921 Peace as well... not much luck.. either low quality or horribly overpriced. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@Jimnight said:

They are never around or close to where I live.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @air4mdc....Thanks for the report..... I am looking for a 1921 Peace as well... not much luck.. either low quality or horribly overpriced. Cheers, RickO

A few years ago I found one (a 21) on line from a dealer in a PCGS Details holder. One of the nicest strikes I have seen in a long time. When I went to purchase it off his website I noticed I never got an invoice. The next day he emailed me back saying he was going to a show in Dallas, I believe , and someone there wanted to look at it. I thought it was kind of cheesy that he did that to me, especially when he had rock solid price on his website. This same dealer is always leaves shows early as well.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

@mannie gray said:

@Jimnight said:

They are never around or close to where I live.

That's a shame.
    Coin shows are a blast! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file