Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Purchase from a Small Show - Your thoughts? **Slab Revealed**

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2017 1:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I generally am not a purchaser of gold, but something about this coin interested me. Please share your thoughts and I'll share the grade and story later.

Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any gold is good gold :) Love the coin.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 7:33PM

In the image, it looks OK** and "Uncirculated-enough." I should price it as an MS-63.

**Note: I'm unable to blow up the image enough to be 100% positive about authenticity. There is "something" about its satin luster that makes me have any doubt but I have not seen a counterfeit of this date. Let's wait to see what the real experts have to say.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd also be interested in comments on why it is or isn't authentic.

The dies don't match the ones posted on pcgscoinfacts... but I'm sure that a lot of dies were used for this date, so that doesn't prove anything.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any spikes or tool marks
    looks good to me

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice Luster. The date looks funky on my phone though, probably the glare from the lighting. A few marks very little wear. 64 obv 65 rev very nice gold.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice, I bet it really stood out in the dealers case.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice flashy luster. Soldi is more of a circ. gold collector.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy 8's

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Crazy 8's

mark

I need a better image but you may be right. Additionally, counterfeit detection should be done using ONLY florescent light.

@PTVETTER said: "I don't see any spikes or tool marks."

These are a thing of the past.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks good. 63?

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice looking, lower mintage quarter eagle. It's difficult to tell by images what the grade is. I'd buy it if the price was right.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Bottom loop of first 8 has something in it.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Crazy 8's

mark

Additionally, counterfeit detection should be done using ONLY florescent light.

Never heard that before. What's your rationale?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Here are a couple of better? images. Now shot with a Nikon D7100 using a Nikkor 105 micro and daylight florescent lamps with diffusers. [Lance - I am still working on getting a Nikkor 200 micro!]

While not as good as the real photographers on the Board, I hope these shots are an improvement (caveat ... it's still shot through a slab).

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say authentic and a very attractive gold coin... Gold coins are my favorite... even little one's.. ;) This one has a very nice look and relatively clean surfaces....There is a strange 'mark' above star seven on the obverse and a scratch in the right field on the reverse.... but major magnification always shows minor issues. I like this coin and may well have purchased it had I seen it at a show. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Okay ... here's its current home ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's an ancient ACG holder.

Looks like a nice coin despite the plastic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, and love the holder. I would keep it as is.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2017 7:31PM

@astrorat

I would show that coin to one of the authentication/grading services giving free opinions at coin shows. I see some tool marks from the denticles and I've already written that the luster looks "off."

@MrEureka asked me to explain why counterfeit detection should be done using ONLY florescent light.

Because the glare from the OP's coin is making it look fishy. So all I'll say for now is that's what the U.S. Mint technicians use to examine dies and coins. I'll call you this week with more as I'm watching a football game. :)

• Options

@Insider2

Good instincts (or skills or knowledge or ?). I purchased the coin as a counterfeit (for gold value). However, I really purchased the coin for the "rare" slab. I was also not aware of using florescent lighting for counterfeit detection.

For me, the denticles on the reverse (around K-4 and K-9) seem a bit too flat and some of the detail looks a little mushy. I thought (and could be wrong) that this is a piece produced in the 1960s - 1970s out of Lebanon.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... it fooled me.... guess I better pull out the book on gold and counterfeits and refresh my skills. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a pretty decent fake. The rims look excessively thick, particularly on the reverse, and not very well defined.

Cool holder!
    Lance.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspected counterfeit from the OP pics before I started scrolling down and I'm not a big gold guy. Something was just "off" about it.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2017 10:19AM

@MrEureka and @astrorat were not aware of using florescent lighting for counterfeit detection."

Rather than call Andy, I'll make this brief. Florescent light spreads a dull even light over the coin's surface. Eliminating glare from an incandescent light that hides luster loss from the high points (useful for determining AU or Unc) and depressions, tool marks, defects on C/F's. This type of light was used by Treasury Dept. authenticators who trained the original Director of ANACS (Charles Hoskins) in DC. As I posted, it is the ONLY light (in combination with a stereo microscope) to use for coin authentication.

Nevertheless, if you are a professional authenticator at NGC or PCGS, you probably don't have any experience using it. As lighting is so important, when you are accustomed to one type, it's best to stick to it. Incandescent is used for grading. I use both types.

PS The color of your coin is suspect due to an improper alloy.

PPS I'm just a rookie around here and made a lucky guess about your coin. I really like what you did too. Having us grade a counterfeit. When I tried that on another coin forum I got blasted for being a smart butt who was just trying to embarrass the members.

I wish more folks would do what you have done. In EVERY grading class I've been in the instructor slipped a few fakes into the grading exercises to keep even the very advanced students from getting too full-of-themselves!

• Options

@Insider2
    Thanks for the explanation, it was quite helpful and makes a lot of sense. I also appreciate the kind words.

Numismatist Ordinaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file