Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's a Game - Guess the Coin...

jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2017 5:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Business strike only issue. 19th century. Precious metal. This coin had a total mintage of less than 300,000. The survival rate was over 67% with over 95% of survivors in Mint State. What am I?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea.... I hope I have one though... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Got to be a Morgan Dollar of some sort.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a Commem.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

1885-CC Morgan Dollar ... Just a guess.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017 8:32AM

Or maybe the 1881-CC Morgan dollar?

The 2011-S Silver Eagle might also technically qualify.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to guess a CC dollar...was going to look up mintage numbers but too lazy frankly.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the mintage number, the 1881-CC fits very neatly. But from the "95% of survivors" part, I'm not so certain.

Lordy, lordy, I hate spellchecker!

• Options

You guys are too smart. It is the 81-CC dollar based on PCGS Coinfacts information.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    1885-CC Morgan Dollar ... Just a guess.

85-CC Morgan would also qualify:

https://www.pcgs.com/books/silver-dollars/Chapter15Listings-082.aspx

• Options
    ScootersdadScootersdad Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

81-CC or 85-CC Morgan

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are way too many options for this, almost every commemorative fits this category.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

85-CC given low circulated remainder.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options

@MorganMan94 said:
    There are way too many options for this, almost every commemorative fits this category.

Modern commem, yes. But those are really NCLT. Classic commems, not necessarily.

Perhaps a flawed question. Needs more limits.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MorganMan94 said:

Modern commem, yes. But those are really NCLT. Classic commems, not necessarily.

How would it not be classic commems? Other than Columbians, Stone Mountains, Bookers, and Washington-Carvers (a few dates) all have mintages of under 300,000 and almost all are mint state.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MorganMan94 said:

How would it not be classic commems? Other than Columbians, Stone Mountains, Bookers, and Washington-Carvers (a few dates) all have mintages of under 300,000 and almost all are mint state.

From this list I think that there are more circulated examples of the Colombian and Stone Mountain half Dollars than you might think.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@MorganMan94 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MorganMan94 said:

From this list I think that there are more circulated examples of the Colombian and Stone Mountain half Dollars than you might think.

I agree, there is no way Columbians would be in this category but the others potentially could.
    What I was saying is that all commemoratives (or a majority) other than those listed have mintages of under 300k.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last two posters need to go see the optometrist - when the OP prefaced the comment with the phrase "Other than" it seems to me to cover exceptions for both higher mintages AND lower survival rates. I think the OP said it correctly.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many of those commens were minted in the 19th century?

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file