Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

That is easily explained, actually. I won't give it away, though.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options

I have waited awhile before posting it and I can't explain it. I have looked at the pictures and I cannot make out anything. I am on mobile now but still I zoom in and I can't see any detail to attribute it at all.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

It says bidding has ended. Not sure I should say anything (I didn't bid BTW), but I can think of 14 possible reasons for what happened.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

No stars.....sorry!

• Options

I do see corrosion that might look something like a faint star at about 1:30 and another star about......no where!

• Options

I do see corrosion that might look something like a faint star at 1:00 and another star

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

That looks like a Head of 1793---93 heads go for big premiums, even in wretched condition.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 6:03AM

It looks like it's a 1793 Cap Cent. I had one I cherry picked in the 1970s that I sold for $40 after paying $10. It was a little better than this one. It was an S-14, which has an obverse die break which makes it a naked eye variety. I think I see a few dots around the border, which is a hallmark of the Head of '93 cents.

Back then, 40 years ago, "the books" said it was worth $400 in Fair condition. They sell for a lot more now, so I think that explains the price on this one, although I would never buy this piece in my wildest dreams.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a $25 coin on a good day. Only one I can think of to command that price, is the 94 starred reverse. It would have to be in a slab and in hand inspection, before I'd consider buying it .

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's what I call a "Rorshach" coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not being a copper expert...not at all actually... I would not even consider a coin like that...not enough detail to interest me.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file