Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is one of the older coins I own. Your thoughts on the grade of this 1835 half dollar

Comments

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    AU details, cleaned, damaged, scratched.

Technically accurate. But the cleaning was done long ago, and those are old scratches.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a coin that spent considerable time buried.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Probably a coin that spent considerable time buried.

Praise the coin gods someone else agrees with me !! Enviro damage, scratched. Sure looks dug up to me.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. She's had a rough life for sure. Could have been a burried find, and someone started to roughly clean the devices at one point.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 6:15PM

Definitely a details problem coin; as for the "buried" detective judgment, impossible to say where it has been, there are a lot of other explanations for the surface issues. And using a little imagination, what scenario do you lay out with a coin with a fair amount of detail like this surfacing with no greater damage than we see having been buried in the ground? Joe Prospector and his treasure metal detector just happened to unearth the coin on one of his property searches?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    AU details, cleaned, damaged, scratched.

I agree with this except that I think it is XF details.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF details, problems as noted.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say XF...and certainly MAY have been a dug coin... I have seen Bust Halves come out of the ground like that.... It would be a keeper if I found it... not sure I would slab it though... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file