Home U.S. Coin Forum

1999 Delaware State Quarter Errors?

Fee316Fee316 Posts: 89
edited September 21, 2017 3:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey y'all! I have the Delaware 1999 State Quarter and I have some questions. I see DDO/DDR on lettering, doubling on legs, reigns of horse look off in riders hands, there's a strike through, you can see the ridges like on side of a coin above riders hand area and on Obverse on Washingtons forehead, possible doubling of horses face around bit area, and the tail is split weirdly. Thoughts?

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 4:42PM

Usually you want to look at uncirculated specimens when looking for errors.
    Otherwise damage during circulation will add many strange looking things to the coin.

Most of the known DDO/DDR/RPM die varieties for modern coins are on the CONECA website.
    varietyvista.com/CONECA%20Master%20Listings.htm

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see it but it would be mechanical doubling.

Variety coins with minor errors are ok but when when beat up as bad as this coin is, with face value only.

• I think looking for errors on uncirculated is ideal but many errors are found in circulated rolls so I politely disagree. Also Im not sure how you'd get the tail split and the imprintS on both side including Washington imprint on forehead through circulation? The quarter isn't really even beat up. It's not mint state but a very defined, nice looking coin. I saw similar errors on coins that I'll find and post. I also know it's possible to have MD and dd. The doubling is layered and MD seems to be not raised but and on the outside of the letter or number. Thanks for your opinions though. Funny cause on FB coin-opp group they have said you can see the die crack from horses mouth to the A is cesar and it's a spitting horse error coin. Interesting how everyone perceives things so differently

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 5:28PM

OK, I'll pick one of the details you saw and compare it to a normal specimen.

the tail is split weirdly.

The upper coin is an MS-68 from PCGS CoinFacts.
    The tail split on your coin looks normal to me.

Note: I made this image comparison with IrfanView in 2 minutes; it is free software.

P.S. I agree it's fun to look for errors. I am just saying that you will have a better chance of finding something that's a real error if you can avoid all the "noise" caused by circulation wear. There should be many uncirculated rolls of state quarters available from people who saved them and they should go for around face value. Maybe check with these guys in another thread or with your local coin shop to see if people try to sell them these rolls and if they buy them.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11805642/#Comment_11805642

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fee316 ....It seems you have gone from cents to quarters.... ;) ... Your photography is great... However, as mentioned above, your coin has picked up a lot of wear, dings and scratches... Keep checking though, and be sure to use the reference links provided....Cheers, RickO

• Here. Is my Delaware screwup...the cracks and rough surface are just like yours,but the blob is huge. I'm selling it.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again ... beat-up coins that are "errors." The last one is really a joke. It's corroded.

Come on guys! Have you ever heard of post mint damage?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was going to weigh in but had second thoughts when I saw that the OP hit someone with a "disagree" for offering their opinion, which is what the OP had asked for in the first place. :/

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least they are quarters instead of cents. Now, you are guaranteed that they are worth 25 cents instead of 1 cent!

Damaged quarter - no error.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 9:01AM

@JBK said:
    Was going to weigh in but had second thoughts when I saw that the OP hit someone with a "disagree" for offering their opinion, which is what the OP had asked for in the first place. :/

I got a disagree the other day for my opinion by the poster asking for them.............. :smiley: It was my first disagree since the "Disagree Wars of 2016" when the new forum arrived

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 10:20AM

Did you have to pay him or her to remove it? It's the new scam now.

As for the coin I don't see anything of big value it will set you back .25 and a flip to hold on to just in case. Have fun keep looking you never know what may pop up.

Hoard the keys.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    At least they are quarters instead of cents. Now, you are guaranteed that they are worth 25 cents instead of 1 cent!

Damaged quarter - no error.

I was waiting for the quarters to come so I can show my parking lot halves. :)

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file