Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 off-center draped bust dollar "vampire" counterfeit

This counterfeit 1795 dollar has been bid-up over $3000:

Here's the listing to this "vampire" counterfeit. The counterfeit can be easily detected by the 2 fangs at lady liberty's neck:
ebay.com/itm/1795-Draped-Bust-Off-Center-Bust-B-14-BB-51-/122710611533?hash=item1c921f564d:g:CFIAAOSw1HxZvp4f

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Fang marks," not fangs.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to imagine a collector willing to bid that kind of money on an obvious fake.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 7:26AM

It has been taken down.... Fast action... Thanks for the picture capture.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, thank you the images before it was removed...It would nice if more folks did that rather than just a link which could go "poof" at any time.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BIGAL2749 said: "Hard to imagine a collector willing to bid that kind of money on an obvious fake.

When these first came out there was nothing "obvious" about them. Today, as you wrote, they look counterfeit to informed collectors/dealers such as yourself.

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

This fake has been seen for a number of years.
    I keep a folder of fake coin images and have two
    pics of this one. It is a 1795 B-14 BB-51.
    Other things to look for aside from the two dents
    in her neck are : a cut in her bodice above the "1"
    and a coupled dentil below & right of the "1".
    This may be present on a few non fakes also.

The rev. has a round dent beneath E D in united.
    There is also a tiny dark dot on the eagles R leg &
    a similar dark dot on the upper L leg. There is a
    cut mark on the inside L wing slanting to the right,
    with a perpendicular cut pointing left off of that.

Both fake coins have a heavy coating of dark coloring
    to resemble age & toning.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect that series and would have fooled me.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:

It's the kind of thing that drove me from, "Certified coins are for rich people!", to "I only buy certified coins".

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

It's a relatively good quality fake. I recall when comparable DBSE $1 fakes started making an enhanced presence on ebay about 10+ yrs ago. Fortunately they used a 1795 off center as the host and didn't realize that was the only year of the off center bust. Many of the auctions were private which made it easier to pull the scam. I watched a 1795 hammer at $10K from a seller in China who had a few of the other dates up as well (with the off center bust). I emailed the seller to send me a 1795, advising that if I liked it, I would pay him. Seller replied that I needed to win an auction and pay first. Having nothing to lose, I replied that the seller dishonored me. That in my country, coins are sent to me and I only pay if I like them. Much to my surprise, I received package from China about 3 weeks later with a 1795 off center fake. Of course I didn't like it enough to pay the scammer. Still have her at home.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 3:00AM

@grip said:

Yes, that fake is much too good. In the phony fake toning is obvious, but perhaps it looks worse in person.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@jdillane said: "It's a relatively good quality fake. I recall when comparable DBSE $1 fakes started making an enhanced presence on ebay about 10+ yrs ago. Fortunately they used a 1795 off center as the host and didn't realize that was the only year of the off center bust. Many of the auctions were private which made it easier to pull the scam. I watched a 1795 hammer at $10K from a seller in China who had a few of the other dates up as well (with the off center bust). I emailed the seller to send me a 1795, advising that if I liked it, I would pay him. Seller replied that I needed to win an auction and pay first. HAVING NOTHING TO LOSE, I replied that the seller dishonored me. That in my country, coins are sent to me and I only pay if I like them. Much to my surprise, I received package from China about 3 weeks later with a 1795 off center fake. Of course I didn't like it enough to pay the scammer. Still have her at home."

So you stole his coin? Guess since the coin was bad it was OK to have him pay to send it to you so you could steal it. Perhaps you had something to lose after all. :(

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing one of these bust off-center fakes with a 1796 date on it at a local club meeting years ago. The guy got really ticked when I told him it was a counterfeit because the off-center bust variety wasn't made in 1796. Of course he should have known there was a problem since he had bought the piece on the Internet for $200.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

gone, but not forgotten

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @jdillane said: "It's a relatively good quality fake. I recall when comparable DBSE $1 fakes started making an enhanced presence on ebay about 10+ yrs ago. Fortunately they used a 1795 off center as the host and didn't realize that was the only year of the off center bust. Many of the auctions were private which made it easier to pull the scam. I watched a 1795 hammer at $10K from a seller in China who had a few of the other dates up as well (with the off center bust). I emailed the seller to send me a 1795, advising that if I liked it, I would pay him. Seller replied that I needed to win an auction and pay first. HAVING NOTHING TO LOSE, I replied that the seller dishonored me. That in my country, coins are sent to me and I only pay if I like them. Much to my surprise, I received package from China about 3 weeks later with a 1795 off center fake. Of course I didn't like it enough to pay the scammer. Still have her at home."

So you stole his coin? Guess since the coin was bad it was OK to have him pay to send it to you so you could steal it. Perhaps you had something to lose after all. :(

I will forgive your apparent reading comprehension deficits. Nothing was stolen. I made no promise to pay. I simply "tested" a criminal who thought he had very little to lose by sending me one of his bogus coins. But I'm befuddled that you would choose to sympathize with a Chinese criminal counterfeit operation. That truly is sad.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

No fowl if you sent the coin back.

• Options

He kept the coin. In "Robin Hood's" mind, stealing from a criminal is not stealing. Now that is what is truly sad. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file