Home U.S. Coin Forum

What grade should a TPGS give this Silver Eagle? What grade do you give it if different?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ONLY imperfections (marks, hairlines, spots, etc.) of any kind on this coin are shown it the partial image (12X) of its obverse. Should the "reed" mark be considered as one hit or three individual tiny marks? Please consider this a common date piece.

Many collectors/dealers claim they don't use the ANA standards personally. Many also say the TPGS do not either. Nevertheless, the ANA Grading Guide gives the following suggestions. Since the coin is not a perfect MS-70:

MS-69: 1 or 2 miniscule; none in prime focal areas.

MS-68: 3 or 4 miniscule; none in prime focal areas.

MS-67: 3 or 4 miniscule; 1 or 2 may be in prime focal areas.

MS-66: Several small; a few may be in prime focal areas.

Remember, the coin is PERFECT except for the mark shown.

I should grade it MS-67. I think a TPGS would be MS-68 at the minimum. I have heard that MS-70's bring good money and MS-69 generally carry a very slight premium. Anything below is bullion at melt. What do you think a proper grade should be based on its commercial value?

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, that's a MS69

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something to consider aside from the number and placement of imperfections is the amount of metal moved by those imperfections. I realize the ANA standards are quoted as "minuscule" and "small", but what that may mean to one person might not be the same to the next. Milling marks that cover an area approximately the same size as the letter I in IGWT aren't minuscule, in my opinion.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS67 tops

GrandAm :)
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind, too, that the point of grading is to differentiate the quality of coins of the same type and/or year from each other.

So, it wouldn't shock me if that "miniscule" mark actually dropped it 3 or 4 points on the grading scale, simply because there are SO MANY that don't have that imperfection. I'm kind of with GRANDAM giving it a 67. You certainly wouldn't be happy with that mark if you bought a 69 or 70....and 68 is pretty questionable.....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 11:37AM

Probably TPG MS68.

I had a very choice bust half with such a milling mark on Liberty's neck....it was the only mark of note on the coin...graded MS65. Without it and it was a 66/67. That ASE mark in a wide open obv field is a prime focal area, and a big distraction. I'd grade it 67 max. Bullion no matter how you look at it. Your listed definitions above of 66/67 describe the marks accurately....several miniscule in a focal area....or the equivalent of one big one.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Something to consider aside from the number and placement of imperfections is the amount of metal moved by those imperfections. I realize the ANA standards are quoted as "minuscule" and "small", but what that may mean to one person might not be the same to the next. Milling marks that cover an area approximately the same size as the letter I in IGWT aren't minuscule, in my opinion.

Makes sense. Your grade?

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut feel is that it would be an MS67 to me as I would likely see it every time the coin was rolled into the light. However, on a coin like this (bullion and modern) I don't think I would sweat it too much.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

68 tops.

I have a 1990 no S cent with one pinprick in the obverse field the size of the leftmost mark in the OP. No other issues. PCGS graded it PR68dcam.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minus 1 for each prick.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

How distracting is it in hand? For me personally, it would be MS67 tops if there were no other marks.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, my original comment assumes that the grading services actually look at all the silver eagles that it grades. Although that theoretically happens, sometimes I wonder.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with 67.

Larry

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

A numismatic grade on bullion American Eagles is irrelevant unless one collects labels. It's value as a good ounce of silver from a reliable source is unchanged by the ticks pictured.

I grade it $19.50+ in the retail market.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see the whole coin under normal light.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

MS 67.

And it shows someone who doesn't know how to put bullion in tubes. That coin was probably at the bottom of a tube and somebody dropped the next one in.

You're supposed to stack them on the table and slide the tube down onto them, so these reed marks don't happen.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

67 for me too.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    Let's see the whole coin under normal light.

Don't need it. Cannot do it. I'm surprised you have never seen a perfect, blast white, frosty, fully struck SE before. Just close your eyes and put a reed mark on the coin. So far the grade seems to be MS-67.

@derryb said: "A numismatic grade on bullion American Eagles is irrelevant unless one collects labels. It's value as a good ounce of silver from a reliable source is unchanged by the ticks pictured. I grade it $19.50+ in the retail market."

Let's imagine this is an educational exercise for me and all the "label collectors" without the experience and knowledge you have shown.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

MS-69: 1 or 2 miniscule; none in prime focal areas.

MS-68: 3 or 4 miniscule; none in prime focal areas.

MS-67: 3 or 4 miniscule; 1 or 2 may be in prime focal areas.

MS-66: Several small; a few may be in prime focal areas.

I should grade it MS-67. I think a TPGS would be MS-68 at the minimum.

For MS-68 even the ANA guide excludes hits in a prime focal area.

With those hits above IWGT it's probably a 67.

If those hits were hidden below IGWT it's probably a 68.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS67.... and even at that, I would not buy the coin..... If it happened to a raw one I owned, I would sell it... likely for a tad above melt.... Cheers, RickO

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    Minus 1 for each prick.

Are you referring to contact marks or forum members?

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 6:33AM

:o Contact marks.Or maybe a few..............:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file