Home U.S. Coin Forum

1939 Nickel in change

silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

found this nickel from 1939 lurking in some change my wife had which makes my day good :)

Comments

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat, but where's the "D"? :p

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes my day also...........hope that is not weird :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

not odd at all some people love seeing old coins that others have or have found

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool! I found a '36 Indian head/ buffalo nickel just last week. I will give it to (I hope) just the right person in change at the store one of these days.

sounds like a cool find for you

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea those are the ones I just love to give to youngsters in change at the store and I will point them out and say, "hey you're a lucky one today, look at this!"

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find.
    I can remember in the early to mid 1970s finding these quite regularly, even in nice AU-UNC.
    Not so anymore.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silverpop said:
    couldn't find it ;)

There's one in "GOD" and "UNITED". :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy finding old coins like that in change... more often wheat cents, then nickels.....been a long time since I found a Merc in change....Cheers, RickO

edited September 16, 2017 6:35AM

yeah finding old coins in change tends to make the effort and time looking though change worth while

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always fun to find. Best one for me was a 39-S Jefferson.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

that one in change always made me smile when i got one. just saying

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. I remember as a kid in the 70's finding 1938 - 1941 dated nickels in change pretty often. Finding one these days is no longer a common occurrence for sure.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

not very common to find old coins in change nowadays, every once in awhile one does pop up in change

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!
    For many years I hoarded any pre-1960 nickels I found. About 20 years ago I went through them and one of the '39s was the ddr, in about vf, and also found a d/s....may have been a '46. Later a friend of mine's son was building a set of nickels by searching rolls. I let him go through that can and let him keep anything he needed it, but he had to first grade it and then place a value on it using the Redbook. That was an enjoyable evening!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. By scanning your pocket change daily, you can assemble a nearly complete date-mint set of Jeffersons. 1950-D and silver alloy coins are notable exceptions.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Nice. By scanning your pocket change daily, you can assemble a nearly complete date-mint set of Jeffersons. 1950-D and silver alloy coins are notable exceptions.

I search boxes and war nickels show up on average one per box or so. Never found a 50d though.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2017 8:47PM

I still find fascinated that consumers are still using cash. Even at the smallest leveles of exchange's. Maybe in the NE area it's different. Because I honestly can't remember when I had excganged some greenbacks for anything other than maybe a car wash In the last 3 months.

Every point of sale is either a card swipe or a phone tap away from completion.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

1950, 1950-D, 1939-D, 1938-DS, 1955, 1958 and most of the war nickels will be VERY tough to find in current circulating coinage.
    It won't be easy finding 46-S through 54-S either.

you never know what is lurking within change nowadays sometimes you hit it lucky other times you don't

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find! I still save all my pre 1960 Jefferson's I get back in change. The first series I collected as a YN in the mid '80's were Jefferson Nickels, and most I found in circulation with exception of key dates, and some war nickels. It didn't matter then what the coin looked like; it was more about the thrill of finding one, and filling a hole.

Some pursuits, and feelings you just can't shake- including the silly grins when finding them!

it's the thrill of the hunt that makes it interesting cause you never know what is lurking in change

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably sent two full rolls of these '39 nickels to coinstar this summer.

I had the checking change addiction for forty-five years. Getting older teaches you that some stuff just weighs you down. Letting go is a relief.

true

getting rid of extra coins that are not needed is a good idea i know i had to sometime ago myself

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

Yes, I've been working on a set from circulation only for years.
    39-S , 42-D, 3 Silver alloy found, set approximately 75% complete.
    One of my favorite sets, and most fun to build.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "....fun to build." Is this not the key to enjoyment?

well it can be very time consuming and much effort into looking though change but when you find a old coin it makes all that worth it

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only thing better would have been if it had the doubled die reverese!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file