Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post your 9-11 Recovery Coins

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I would but I sold all 80 of mine years ago.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where there is a buck to be made....

• 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Years back on ebay I saw a listing for a '99-w $10 unfinished PR dies in a pcgs 9-11 recovery holder. He was asking $50k, dont' know if it sold.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a picture but I have the cheapo one, the south American silver coin.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017 3:17PM

Here's mine. One exactly like it recently sold for over $1600 in open bidding.

The more you VAM..
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Petty profiteering from the needless deaths of thousands. If this perversity is accepted then why not bone fragments and bits of clothing for sale -- kind of like "Saint's Relics?"

I fully understand the position of those who are opposed, but what is the alternative? Sell this bullion without its historic connection being recorded? It was a witness to the terrible events of that day. The short term "profiteering" has passed and now we are left with certified relics of important history.

Same goes for the steel that was recovered. What was not preserved for memorials was unceremoniously shipped off to China to be turned into soup cans and car parts. Not very dignified. It is a bit creepy to know that my next paper clip could be from part of the WTC.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Petty profiteering from the needless deaths of thousands. If this perversity is accepted then why not bone fragments and bits of clothing for sale -- kind of like "Saint's Relics?"

the same could be said about civil war relics...

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't own any, but they are nice coins especially with the history attached :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

edited September 12, 2017 12:23PM

@steveben said:

@RogerB said:

....and also about any shipwreck treasure. Good point.

It always amazes me how some sunken ships are considered a gravesite that can not be disturbed, but when it is a ship with millions of dollars in gold somehow the prohibition on disturbing it evaporates.

I do not pretend to have all the answers on these questions, but there are many inconsistencies in how things are viewed depending on the circumstances.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only are treasures being sold from shipwrecks, but relics from the Titanic are being sold.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stand by my opinion - even if i am the only one standing. It is morally reprehensible.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    I stand by my opinion - even if i am the only one standing. It is morally reprehensible.

I totally understand your opinion. It is very valid. When I first heard of the Ground Zero Recovery coins, I felt like you do. After hearing alternative opinions and thinking about it, I see both sides. I'm still in the middle.

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I have an PCGS MS 69 2001 ASE WTC recovery coin, one of I think 980 with a cert number, purchased on the Tenth Anniversary.
    It is saved along with a newspaper, a dvd of the attacks and such.
    I keep it the same way I do my Namesake Uncles WWII medals, he was a B-24 Liberator waist gunner, my Dad's Korean War Medals, my Grandfathers WWI keepsakes.
    I show these to my Grandkids on Independence Day.
    And explain the meaning of EACH piece.
    Upon my demise they go to them, I PRAY they continue the tradition and our enemies vanquished, and that they May See Peace In THEIR Lifetime.

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

@Weiss, So you see these pieces as how evil tried to destroy us. I see them as how evil failed to destroy us.
    That gave me goose pumps.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope those that think it is bad to buy/sell these coins never watch any documentary on 9/11. Cause you know, there are advertisers. And producers. And a bunch of people that are making $ off those documentaries.

12 gallons! Wow...

Interesting discussion, just wish I had mine handy to contribute a photo.

I also have a huge steel medallion made from WTC steel. Controversial then and controversial now. It is a weird memento but it is a sacred one at the same time. (If it makes anyone feel better the company that made them went bankrupt a couple years later).

As for the recovered sliver and gold coins (and there was also a small quantity of minor bronze foreign coins in the vault), i still think they needed to be preserved somehow, but maybe they could have been melted down and made into a sculpture for display at the Ground Zero museum, which incidentally I visited last new year's eve. It was powerful experience and I was glad to see so many young people there, many of whom were very emotional.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:

@RogerB said:

War is one thing; an attack on innocent civilians, that is not in a time of war, is another.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest in anything 9/11 related. Zero. Any reminder of that day really hurts. I can't conceive that that kind of evil lives in this world. That said, I have no issues with other folks owning artifacts. To each his own. Just not for me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file