Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Milk spots. Opinions welcomed.

I was browsing the very popular 225 enh unc set thread and the issue of spots was brought up. And it was agreed by several members that a new thread should be devoted to that topic.

So; fire away. Consider this the start I guess. (If it started earlier, I missed it.)

My opinion: TPG doesn't matter! They happen very often on 1964 proof Kennedy's. (moreso on AH variety I would even say)

Below is a photo of a coin in my possession, has never left it's original cellophane. And it's got a milk spot. ... IT'S NOT THE HOLDER ... IT'S THE COIN. I don't think it's the environment either. It may be the detergent used at the mint ... or impurities in the metal ... i don't know what. But it ain't PCGS's fault.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not raining on your parade, but if you search on "milk spots" (in the search box above, not on google), you'll get over 1000 hits.

It all boils down to "No resolution".

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

K thanks appreciate it @BackroadJunkie

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Summary: milk spots bad.
    Humidity affects spotting.
    PCGS holders have more spotting.
    PCGS will not cover spotting.
    NASA research unconclusive.
    Bad.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 8:10AM

clad coins will not develop "milk spots."

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some experience with 64 proof milk spots. Bought some, sold some, conserved some, kept some, holdered some.

They do not come off without leaving a mark, if they come off at all.

I have never experienced a milk spot forming on a post 1964 proof in the holder. Disclaimer - I do not do ASE or other silver after 1964, so my experience is limited.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then I guess "dismes" are safe. ;)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I have some experience with 64 proof milk spots. Bought some, sold some, conserved some, kept some, holdered some.

I have never experienced a milk spot forming on a post 1964 proof in the holder. Disclaimer - I do not do ASE or other silver after 1964, so my experience is limited.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to conserve coins with this problem? I have a nice cameo accented hair Kennedy that has an unsightly spot on the JFK's cheek. Acetone and E-Z-Est aren't touching it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017 9:16PM

I too have some experience. Many milk spots are here to stay and can only be lightened. Use of the wrong chemicals will make them worse. Try MS-70 first. Spots in the design can often be removed w/o a trace. Sorry, but this and many conservation methods are proprietary. Perhaps our host has some professionals on staff that can help you.

PS Your coin is a "piece-of-cake!"

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Cameonut said:

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to conserve coins with this problem? I have a nice cameo accented hair Kennedy that has an unsightly spot on the JFK's cheek. Acetone and E-Z-Est aren't touching it.

I should have been more specific with respect to conservation. When NGC started their conservation service, I sent several coins to them and they did the work. So I don't really know what they used. I do know that anything I tried did not work.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a quantity of AH Kennedy's and have no milk spots on them.... As far as I know, once developed, there really is no successful removal. Years ago, Russ recommended an acetone bath of the coin (ASE's) as soon as received (mint issues, non slabbed).... I did that when I used to buy ASE's... and still do it if I buy any silver mint products. Seems to work, no milk spots. In all the years that this has been discussed on this forum, I have not seen anyone successfully remove milk spots. At one time, I believe a TPG was offering a reward for such a method...never heard of anyone collecting it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

ricko ...PCGS was the TPG that offered the $50k reward.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file