Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you use Collectors Corner CoinSearch at shows?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 11, 2017 8:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across this ad on the forums and was wondering how good the service was.

Has anyone used this to find coins at shows and, if so, how did it work?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.
    It's only as good as the tiny fraction of dealers who load their coins into the site.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I've never tried it AT a show, I did once do a search a day or two before going.

I like the IDEA of it: Get a list of tables that have what YOU are looking for. But as noted, a small percentage of dealers are actually covered.

Maybe someday, a really well organized show will allow all dealers to drop off a pre-formatted text file or Excel file with their inventory, and it would really become useful....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    While I've never tried it AT a show, I did once do a search a day or two before going.

I like the IDEA of it: Get a list of tables that have what YOU are looking for. But as noted, a small percentage of dealers are actually covered.

Maybe someday, a really well organized show will allow all dealers to drop off a pre-formatted text file or Excel file with their inventory, and it would really become useful....

Whitman tried this once but only invited a few people to try it, and unfortunately we weren't part of the test. We have done the Coinsearch option many times for major shows, but have found that there are few that use it. Unfortunately we have so many coins that we can't bring to shows, we'd rather know what people do want to see! :)

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I tried it a couple of times with no luck at all.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good concept but lacks depth.... will need more participation and it will require extensive input from those who do choose to participate.....Even dealer websites are not always up to date....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that I saw a table with this service at the ANA show last month, but did not stop to check it out.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I was not aware of this service. It doesn't seem to be very popular.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 8:54AM

Yes. I have used it the Baltimore coin show. I found a couple of coins. The one I remember was an 1856-S gold dollar in PCGS AU-58. The slab was scratched, but I was able to fix it with it with headlight polish. I located a couple of other coins with it that didn't work.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never have used it at a show. Most dealers that use Collectors Corner do not attend the shows that I go to. IMHO most of the stuff at least what I look for is overpriced anyway so I have no incentive to use it.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you attend a big show like Baltimore or FUN, knowing where a coin might be from the get-go can be a big advantage. I have also contacted dealers just prior to the show about a coin they had.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file