Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin with toning

I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinion on this buffalo on whether the toning is natural or not.

Comments

  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks perfectly fine to me. I don't think you can do anything about that carbon spot on the obverse, tho.

  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭

    The toning looks market acceptable. However, I'm not crazy about the coin. Without the carbon spot I'd grade it 66. With the spot it's a 64.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The toning is fine. There is a HUGE population of high quality 38-D Buffs to choose from, why choose this one?

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The tarnish appears totally natural... too bad about the carbon spot on the obverse - well, I say carbon spot... it could be something else, but looks like that. Would be a 66 without that issue... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MatthewSallee .... and Welcome aboard..... Enjoy the forums.. Cheers, RickO

  • Options

    Thanks for all the feedback. Im fairly new to buffalo nickels and hardly ever buy anything toned. Glad you guys confirmed it was natural looking. Thought it was a die-variety but turned out to be a carbon spot in/on the mint mark. Im happy with it in any case. :)

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 5:43PM

    .

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There is nothing remotely questionable about it to me. It looks fine.

  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    These coins rarely circulated, and there are thousands of attractively toned examples in Gem and better. They are inexpensive, and my type coin in the set is a 38 D in PC 7 with ice blue toned centers and gold toned rims.

    Toning on these tends to be golden, or as I wrote above. Fifty years ago, I remember a dealer who had rolls of gold toned 38 Ds which today would grade MS 66, who was selling them for $1 or $2 each.

    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice, original toning IMO. Really love the reverse. I like it.

    Dave

    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

    love the coin

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file