Home U.S. Coin Forum

3 Newly Graded Mercury Dimes w/ TruViews!

ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already posted the results on the 1929-P in an old thread, however, I wanted to share the other two mercury dimes I had in my recent submission too. I don't think you can ever see enough pretty Mercury Dimes ;) !

It is fun for me to collect on a budget and challenge myself to find a coin either raw or slabbed that is nice and fits what I'm willing to spend. I stay away from dealers for the most part as I don't find it fun or rewarding to just write a check and receive a coin. I'm not sure if I would be as passionate if I didn't have to search far and wide on eBay, GC, various forums and HA. I know not everyone is the same and some rare coins require middle-men, but I don't swim in those ponds yet. Collecting this way helps me learn on my own, play the TPG gamble (I enjoy a good bet once in a while) and save me a good amount of money performing the evaluation/restoration/TPG-CAC submissions. I took advantage of the Q3 quarterly special and got TruViews for free...

Bought this 34-P dripping w/ luster raw and sent it in. I was expecting 65-FB/66-FB and got a 65-FB:

Bought this 41-D on GC for $41 and when I received it in hand it looked way too good for a 65-FB... so I set her free. Was expecting a 67-FB or 67-FB+ and got a 67-FB:

Got this one back from CAC with a note saying it had PVC on lady liberty's neck. Cracked it out of the 64-FB OGH and used acetone to get rid of the PVC pretty well. It ended up getting a 1 point increase at PCGS as I was expecting, a 65-FB:

Overall, I have had a great year submitting through PCGS (so far) and received the grade I expected about 70% of the time. I've submitted about 20 coins in 2017... a mix of morgan's, $2.5 Indian head eagles, Mercury Dimes and a variety of world silver coins. Here are some of my older PCGS submissions from this year that have TruViews or pictures w/ them. Nothing crazy expensive in here, but I am happy and proud of my increasing ability to accurately grading raw and undergraded coins:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/981524/february-crossover-special-results-pictures#latest

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/985493/grades-posted-on-my-world-coin-sub-truviews-inside#latest

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

pictures missing?

Frank

BHNC #203

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins, and great for the hobby with the high grade imaging.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    pictures missing?

Hmmm, they seem to be showing up for me. Maybe try closing your browser and come back to the forum?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice acquisitions!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job @Shady Dave! Thanks for sharing!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins and your grading skills are apparent... Well done.. Cheers, RickO

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done!

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 41-D is stupendous!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats some nice coin you got, congrats.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Dimes. That 34 is undergraded at least 1 point. I would give it a 67 for mark free surfaces. But PCGS likes bright luster more than mark free surfaces. To me that 34 is unimprovable.......love that coin!

• This is a really cool post. That's awesome that you have been able to find coins that were under graded or not graded and improve them. One can sense that you have found a place in the hobby where you get a lot of satisfaction. That's what a hobby is about and posts like these are fun to read.

Now if I can just find my place in this world!!

Thanks all! Anyone else have any Mercury dime TruViews to post? If so post em!

@DIMEMAN said:
    Beautiful Dimes. That 34 is undergraded at least 1 point. I would give it a 67 for mark free surfaces. But PCGS likes bright luster more than mark free surfaces. To me that 34 is unimprovable.......love that coin!

Thank you and I agree. I love the coin too. The luster is all there and strong for a merc, so that's why I thought it had a good shot at a 66FB...oh well, I'm happy either way.

@ms70 said:
    That 41-D is stupendous!

Thanks! TruView is a little dark but is an accurate representation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file