Home U.S. Coin Forum

2017 P Nickel Error!!! Mintmark Error!?! S punched on top of last O of MONTICELLO

Found my first 2017 P Nickel today and I didn't receive it as change; I literally found it in my house just sitting atop my fireplace. When I picked it up to check the date and mint I noticed something odd on the reverse. Put in under my daughters microscope and I'm not sure I can believe what I'm seeing which is why I'm asking for extra pairs of eyes, knowledge and if I'm not dreaming a name of the error type it will be. Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a small die chip inside the "O".
    Errors such as this are not as common as they were in the past, but they occur with enough frequency to be considered still common, and have little value above face value.
    The exception to this would be a die chip/break in a prime focal area, especially on the obverse, that would be an obvious drawing/selling point.
    T

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ckarhut....Welcome aboard.... I agree, that is a die chip in the 'o'..... no added value, but an interesting anomaly, especially on modern coinage. Cheers, RickO

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun stuff. Welcome to the forum.

Larry

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a die chip. The way they do the hubs now, you can't "punch an S over an O". They aren't hand-lettered on the die anymore.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a die chip.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintmarks are part of the annual master die and not manually punched into individual working dies.

The defect is a die chip, as others have mentioned.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks like a die chip to me as well. welcome to the forums as well.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

die chip, now, take a deep breath

Frank

BHNC #203

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Mintmarks are part of the annual master die and not manually punched into individual working dies.

The defect is a die chip, as others have mentioned.

When was that switch. Wasn't it around '89-90

The more you VAM..
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was either 1990 or 1991...I think 1990.

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

die chip

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file