Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 P Mercury Dime Junk Silver Find - Grade in!!

Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 12, 2017 9:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this?
Bought 4 rolls of Mercury Dimes and this was one of them.

Comments

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

how coool; congrats

you suck!!

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth grading?

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! That looks like it has a good shot at XF-45 to AU-50. You certainly suck!! Congratulations.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Worth grading?

Absolutely!!

it's a beauty!

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Thoughts on this?

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Worth grading?

Absolutely!!

100% agree.

Id call it AU55/58

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go buy 4 more rolls. Congrats

edited August 31, 2017 4:34PM

Sad part was a dealer had already bought 10 from him and was paying melt. Wonder why??

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Questionable in my opinion. Reverse gives me this opinion. If its good, what a score.

Ken

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin

AU58 W/CAC for comparison:

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it is real, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

It is a "dug coin" from what I can see and that patina is typical of ones that I have found via metal detecting. That clay soil, minerals, rain, moisture etc.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice EF - especially from a junk silver pile!

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a heck of a find. Send it in for sure, looks like a solid XF45 maybe AU50 as long as it is not cleaned. That part is difficult to determine from the pics.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

@morgandollar1878 said:
    That is a heck of a find. Send it in for sure, looks like a solid XF45 maybe AU50 as long as it is not cleaned. That part is difficult to determine from the pics.

even in a gennie holder, it's still a good score.

• oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

the rims seem really strange, maybe it's just the photos

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a junk box? Ya gotta be kiddin'! What a find-congrats! Looks to be at least a 50 to me.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldlinecoins said:
    the rims seem really strange, maybe it's just the photos

Nothing unusual, was just checking out a 1916 Merc dime and putting it in a new 2x2 with the same rim weakness in almost exactly the same place. Planchet was likely just a hair thinner in that spot.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks a bit weird to me, but for $32 its worth the grading...or send it in economy for $20 and play stupid and see what happens...

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Perhaps it is real, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me.

I had the exact thoughts after looking at the coin for a few seconds.
    For the OP's sake, I hope I'm wrong.

No worries either way gents, couldn't go wrong for $1.20

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree and wish you luck with it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF-AU.... I would give it an acetone soak before submitting... clean the gunk off... Cheers, RickO

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, you did very well! Just to find '20-'29 dated in junk silver rolls that look that nice is tough- let alone a '21! Congrats!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:
    Wow!! That looks like it has a good shot at XF-45 to AU-50. You certainly suck!! Congratulations.

I agree. I was expecting to see a AG-VG, which would not we worth grading, but this coin is nice!

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Thoughts on this?

A 21P I just received that is in a PCGS holder as cleaned to compare against.

Ken

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd send it in, could go AU as others have pointed out. I will send in any coin with good grading potential, as raw coins are hard to market.

edited September 6, 2017 6:52AM

@Fairlaneman said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Thoughts on this?

A 21P I just received that is in a PCGS holder as cleaned to compare against.

Ken

Looks like they bagged it for the directional hairlines on the cheek?

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the group that says it just doesn't feel right.

Reverse lettering seems distorted, too thin. Also, details on the lower three branches/leaves on the right side of the bundle... do not match very well with the example that Fairlaneman posted (thanks Fairlaneman). Some branches/leaves on left side... same situation. Overall, way too much detail and strong strike than I am used to seeing with a 21.

On obverse, look at the cap details on top of head. and Hair details on top of forehead. Just do not match with Fairlaneman example that I can see.

My take... a fake.... but very deceptive as overall appearance seems good. I would probably send in... if ok, you have a score. If not, IMO still worth it as a extremely neat example of a fake. All of this is JMO and I have been wrong enough times that I no longer try to keep score!

----- kj
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2017 9:31AM

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Sad part was a dealer had already bought 10 from him and was paying melt. Wonder why??

Why is that sad ? It's only worth melt, until somebody cherrypicks and finds greater value than melt.
    Recently bought an ounce of gold for spot, and it sold for $70 less than spot, in the open auction market. It's neither sad or happy. It is the market... and it has its nuances. Let's just face that there are fewer buyers and even fewer collectors.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

Why is that sad ? It's only worth melt, until somebody cherrypicks and finds greater value than melt.
    Recently bought an ounce of gold for spot, and it sold for $70 less than spot, in the open auction market. It's neither sad or happy. It is the market... and it has its nuances. Let's just face that there are fewer buyers and even fewer collectors.

Sad for me as I suspect there were a few more possibilities in the stuff he sold. This dealer is typically buying at 50% of melt for reference.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would. It deserves to be preserved. I see them as pieces of history.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh.... 50% of melt. The new buy price :joy:

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eyes and attention to detail! @oldlinecoins said: "The rims seem really strange, maybe it's just the photos."

The photos are great. What you are seeing is typical on 100% ABSOLUTELY GENUINE 1921 dimes. There is weakness on the edge that causes this "look." The luster is very good (check out the dull gray buffed coin posted below it). The OP's coin may have some hairlines from tumbling around in "junk silver" that won't hurt it.

:) IMHO, if you did not call the OP's coin genuine and AU-55 or above due to the amount of details and small amount of rub, you may not be ready for "The Show." :wink:

Get that puppy to PCGS!

@Soldi said:
    It is a "dug coin" from what I can see and that patina is typical of ones that I have found via metal detecting. That clay soil, minerals, rain, moisture etc.

After taking a second look l tend to agree with this. It could explain the off look of the lettering on the reverse. Has the coin been sent in?

@DIMEMAN said:

@Soldi said:

After taking a second look l tend to agree with this. It could explain the off look of the lettering on the reverse. Has the coin been sent in?

It's in now

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Soldi said:

It's in now

Good....it will be good to see what our host say.

I cannot understand that one LOL I received the coin is obviously packed around the devices with soil.
    Although,at times, I do look kinda goofy metal detecting. Doesn't phase me.

Bet it comes back environmental damage at EF

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm in the tincup camp. Hope i'm wrong but the piece looks off to me. If real,great find. ;)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is way better than my VF for that grade. Let us know how things turn out should you send it in for grading. I do think you should submit it even if it should come out in a genuine holder - still a coin many would like to have. Looks like a high XF or low AU to me.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Soldi said:

I disagree. I've "dug" a few silver dimes. This one does not look like that to me. That toning pattern looks like a coin that has been sitting in a cardboard box in a dresser drawer for a long time.

The only issue I see is that the reverse looks like it may have been wiped.
    Otherwise, genuine, AU-53.

Grade in - ATS said UNC details improperly cleaned

Yes, improperly cleaned with the soil that was on it and a thumb and fore finger of the finder. Congrats
    nice coin regardless.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

her mouth and rims of the coin look funky to me for some reason. maybe its just the way im looking at it. any opinions?

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job and I am glad it worked out for you.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@johnny9434 said:
    her mouth and rims of the coin look funky to me for some reason. maybe its just the way im looking at it. any opinions?

Wear from lying in the ground about 4 to 6 inches down for 80 years. Go drop a coin on the lawn. Now, see how long it "doesnt' take to descend 1/2 to 2 inches, not long. The rain the snow the soil has this effect. I have found countless coins including Morgan dollars (14) and I tell you the elements have an effect on the silver. Another thing I noticed is tree roots tend to surround silver as opposed to other metals. It's "ag" against all other elements including the crap that falls from the sky, contained within the rain and the soil wash.

Not to mention the fact that strikes are different, dies are different and who knows what the coin looks like when minted.

Nice coin great find Congrats..................

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file