Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1936 Battle Of Gettysburg Half Dollar.

https://coinweek.com/coins/commemoratives-coin-guide/1936-battle-of-gettysburg-half-dollar/
Saw an image of one in the 'Columbus' thread, did not realize they were so expensive.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 10:43AM

They are beautiful coins when original and frosty white and are even popular with the rare Civil War collectors who don't additionally collect coins.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

When I was dealing in commems, the Gettysburg was by far the most in-demand, easiest-to-sell coin in the entire 144-piece set. I bought every coin I could.

This design has more high points and exposed design areas than most coins, and picked up a lot of hits and lines as a result.

Cool coin.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

The Appomattox Court House Surrender was done respectfully, in regards to the defeated Southerners.
    The Union soldiers saluted their defeated foe.
    The healing of Our Great Nation began that day, as well as at the reunions held at Gettysburg.
    No intent to be political here, saw the coin in another post, beautiful design.
    Have been to Gettysburg four times, really was an emotional experience.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately Bill, I'll bet 99.8% of the folks here are not the ones you need to reach. Furthermore, the ones here that disagree with such a well-thought-out and reasonable post such as yours are intelligent enough to have already made up their minds and will not be swayed by any debate to accept what you have posted. :(

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is my old one I sold with my complete commem set. Wish I still had it.

MS66:

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the Gettsburg I posted on the Columbus thread

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 5:15PM
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard the Mint was going to recall them and scrape off the confederate images.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite designs, and the first coin I ever bought at a show, as a serious collector (from Robbie at the Reeded Edge). My great, great, uncle was in Armistead's division in Pickett's charge, was wounded and lay on the field a considerable time before being carried off to a hospital where he recovered (physically, at least).

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold this recently. mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 9:39AM

Beautiful coin @Justacommeman!

Here's a nice high-relief modern interpretation from @CoinZip. I think the National Battlefield Coin Show has been doing a great job making unique and impressive medals.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/924597/the-national-battlefield-coin-show-gettysburg-pa-this-weekend

As for the past, I believe we should learn from and respect the past but at the same time we should continue to make progress. The past is the past and our future is before us. Here, we had a national healing between the two sides of a great conflict. While one side won and another lost, on a human level, it's hard to say either side won. As we empathize with the both sides here, we should remember to empathize with others as well for even more healing. With sound judgement with a respect for different points of view, we can avoid needless conflict. In doing so, we should recognize ours is a dynamic country and we should not feel the need to be frozen in the past at the expense of moving into the future for all.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PRECIOUSMENTAL... that is a real beautiful specimen..... The coin is a great representation of how the United States has operated in the past.... unity and brotherhood. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the first commems acquired for my commem set. I purchased it in Sept 2003 and it might just be the only one of my commems that have gone up in value.

PCGS 66 CAC

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file