Home U.S. Coin Forum

I don't know how to grade and I don't care

jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a total truth...I can probably get within 7 points with 90% accuracy...and I'm pretty good at recognizing the basic VF, XF, AU, MS categories within my area of focus....

But the nuances of 53 vs 55 and the plus grades are beyond me...as noted in another thread that skill comes from seeing hundreds or thousands of coins in hand as pictures do not suffice...and the opportunity for me to do that in the near future due to other priorities like work and family is not possible....

I only buy coins in TPG holders from a handful of trusted dealers...so what is so wrong with relying on a more experienced third party to provide the technical grade and opinion of authenticity and originality....I hire someone to do my taxes rather than do them myself...

To me more important than the technical grade is the eye appeal....and I am probably better in that area than grading...but here too I also rely on an experienced professional...if Doug Winter says this is the best coin he has ever seen in that date for the grade...I'm going to go with him on that....

The King of DOG often said his favorite grade is EF45...me too...enough meat still on the bones...the hint of luster...honest wear...and a little dirt...make this a great grade...plus EF coins are probably more exempt from that grade-inflation that some people are always complaining about...a coin is either EF or AU...

Not sure why this one didn't pass at CAC but it works for me...

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 5:57PM

""To me more important than the technical grade is the eye appeal....and I am probably better in that area than grading...""

I think that you are better at grading than you think.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you get tired of that 39-C let me know. :) I like it a lot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are only buying certified coins in the top three TPG's holders not knowing how to grade is not quite as critical. The thread I think you are referring to was more about people that buy raw coins imo, but also for the sake of learning the hobby that you are involved in. In that respect learning how to grade also entails spotting problem coins and avoiding them if they are priced for problem free money. There are many people in this hobby that do not try to learn to grade. They then think a dealer is trying to pull a fast one on them when it is time to sell and the dealer does not offer them much for their collection.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most dangerous combination is thinking you know how to grade but don't. A lot of collectors suffer from this. They usually don't find out until the end when they go to sell.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's helpful to be able to grade. With that and the TPGs you have a better chance of making better decisions.

Larry

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Grading will help you in the future. As third party grading services are not always accurate, you might find a better or worse deal, which can influence how much money you spend at that time and make in the future.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same song I sing every time I sign for a for a TPG package at the Post Office.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO the role of grading and authenticating coins is best left to the PROFESSIONAL NUMISMATIST.

AMATEUR NUMISMATISTS or collectors like myself "chiefly derive pleasure from the simple ownership of monetary devices and studying these coins as private amateur scholars." The ability to accurately grade coins would seem to be optional.

As a younger man I learned the hard way that you can lose a lot of money thinking you can pick stocks or sports teams better than Wall Street and Vegas.:(

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with playing it safe by buying slabbed coins. Grading is a skill... and the skill level is achieved over time... it is not done by inoculation... The ability to grade does add to the pleasure of coin collecting....just one of the several facets of this hobby. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why this one didn't pass at CAC but it works for me...

Perhaps the thought at CAC was the obverse was more in line with a VF-30 or 35 than an EF-40, but you are right. It is a nice coin. It has reasonably smooth surfaces, and best of all, it has not been cleaned.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pictures it could be the cut on the face, or behind the portrait. Perhaps the cuts on the rim or the fact that it looks bright and probably stripped of some layer

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heard a lot of good things about PCGS, NGC, the ANA and eBay ( oops , how did that get here ?) Never tried CAC, yet. Can't get over the dream I had. The fear of rejection was overwhelming.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a terrific piece of gold and knowing that CAC passed on it wouldn't bother me one bit!

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

In today's TPG/CAC market by the time a coin is offered to a collector like me, I'd be a rich man if I got a nickel every time it was cracked out, crossed, regarded, reconsidered, and sent to CAC.
    Yes, it's nice to be able to grade, but I really don't need to be an expert. I think it's more important to be able to recognize coins with terrific, natural eye appeal.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Guess is that CAC did not like the cleaning.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on what you collect, it may not be that important to know how to grade on a 70 point scale. (It's important if you collect Morgan Dollars, where grading points can be very valuable. Not so important if you collect Fugios by die variety.) However, it is always important to see a coin well and understand what you're looking at, unless you are relying on an expert's advice. (You can't just rely on the TPGs. Yes, they try to assign the most appropriate grade to every coin, but they won't tell you which coins they actually like.)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it's important to learn how to grade...especially the series you collect. i am not claiming to be an expert grader by any means, but that doesn't mean i don't try to learn as much as i can about it.

just because there are better thinkers than i, doesn't mean i am going to leave all the thinking to them.

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:

I think collectors can get away with not being expert graders but dealers ought to know how to grade...sorry but this coin has not been cleaned...

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 9:13AM

@jonruns said:

@AMRC said:

I think collectors can get away with not being expert graders but dealers ought to know how to grade...sorry but this coin has not been cleaned...

That's exactly what the person who cleaned it, wants you to think. Success!

But don't take this wrong. MOST old gold has been cleaned.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file