Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beer or coins?

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the North Koreans took over, and you were forced to give up one, which would it be?

I'm enjoying an ice cold IPA while I admire my latest dirty old gold acquisition (Great Collections). It's a tough call for sure!

Have a nice day!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the looks of that!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

The beer?

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the reverse equally nice?

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the beer! Are we talking bud light and miller lite or are we talking about New England Brewery co and Treehouse? Oh and nice coin ! ;)

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 3:57PM

Nice chunk of gold. If the north took over you most likely wouldn't have a choice of gold.

I'm guessing this was someone's pocket piece, or were these pieces regularly heavily circulated?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

A no brainer for me......I can't stand the taste of beer.

And it what world would N. Korea be in charge of any thing! :s

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 4:05PM

Both no matter what. Beer might be tops. 56 years drinking beer. 27 years getting coins. Beer Wins.

By the way I drink PO1 Beer.

Ken

• Options

Reverse:

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with vodka.

Larry

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I dont drink or collect gold...so it is the rice paddys for me

• Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

Nice looking circulated gold!!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I don't drink either. Maybe I'd start.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep beer, give up coins....but I'd probably also have my collection of aged, dark rum stashed away too.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No brainer.

I have made beer for years - tasty.......

I cannot make US gold coins without landing in the clink......

So I will give up beer and make wine instead.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with the coin!

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Considering my devotion to each, this is like trying to pick one of my kids over the other. I suppose I'd have to give up beer. Otherwise, after a few frosty cold ones I'd likely just cave in and buy a coin and be right back where I started anyway ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 5:44PM

Free Masons had it right!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Saint !
    Not sure I could do without beer. If I had to try, I'm taking Kim Jong down with me......

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't miss the headaches, heartburn, dehydration, insomnia, sluggishness, weight gain, shortness of breath and nervousness associated with overindulgence in beer. I'll keep the coins....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

With gold like that, I'd give up beer instantly.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    A tough choice, to be sure. It is somewhat reminiscent of a similar choice I was given 35 years ago, when my wife told me that I had to choose - it was either the coin collection or her. I sure do miss her at times. :)

The makings of a Brad Paisley song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRrKaq0IyY

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really enjoy beer.....dark, dark beer. No IPAs. Yuck.
    But I dearly love coins.
    Tough call.
    Now if the choice was between coins and wine, easy choice.
    Coins.
    I despise wine--every kind I have tried. That is some horrid stuff.
    I don't see how people can drink it.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 9:54PM

Easy choice...I don't care for beer...not even free beer. The ONE time I forced down enough beer to be come intoxicated...I wound up talking to cats.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the cats have anything interesting to say ? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wine and coins.... Nothing like a really good Cabernet Sauvignon.... and gold, lots of gold. :)<3 Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a little of both with a hundred year old Beer Token?

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the "right" coin is a pleasure to behold and to possess, overall I believe that I have had fewer disappointments from Beer than from Coins.

Right now, make mine a Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

That got spent a couple times. I got spent a few times, myself.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Gentleman, keep your coins. As in all times of prohibition the craftsmen come out of the woodwork to protest.
    I just capped and bottled 5 Gallons of Ale on Sunday and will gladly show you how you can do the same if the time comes.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a gold person at all, but I have never seen a $20 in G4...that is cool!

I'd give up beer, my son makes some really nice mead.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll give up both coins and beer as long as I can keep my Kentucky Bourbon and Caribbean Rum

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 11:35AM

Beer will get me through times of no coins better than coins will get me through times of no beer.

Freak Bros. take.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one has commented that someone bothered to send that coin to CAC?!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 1:28PM

Since I almost never drink beer, the choice would easy, but if I had to give up wine, good bourbon or good Scotch, that would be a different story.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned to like beer back in the '70's when I could make a 12 ounce bottle for 7 cents. And it was "less filling" as the alcohol content was about 8%.

All natural and never got a hangover.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    edited August 30, 2017 4:46PM

When I was in college in the late 1970s, "Rhinelander" beer (Joseph Huber Brewing Co.) was maybe $3.49 a case. It was good enough. Granted it was only 5% ABV, and granted you could get a stunning 1904 or 1928 Twenty Dollar gold for $245 - $275. A case of 'Old Style' was maybe a dollar more, a case of 'Blatz' was about the same price as Rhinelander. Beer was our tipple.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both. Or as close as you can get. 18th century sterling mugs, filled with beer:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just can't decide :D

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Beer sucks, so easy choice. :)

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    Depends on the beer! Are we talking bud light and miller lite or are we talking about New England Brewery co and Treehouse? Oh and nice coin ! ;)

+1, not giving up the good beer

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

+1, not giving up the good beer

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never drank a beer in my life.

I like that well-worn Saint!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins............no beer for me.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread with endless discussions of favorite beers and other libations, but I could no longer resist commenting on two earlier posts. To mannie.gray and others, who expressed a fondness for "dark, dark beers", I would highly recommend Belhaven Scottish Ale https://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/148/1163/, perhaps the most enjoyable beer that I have sampled in a long time. And to Bill Jones, who stated his preferences, I would point out that the term "good Scotch" is redundant ;) .

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have NEVER seen a Saint like that. It proves that gold did circulate...........well, some of it did.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    I have NEVER seen a Saint like that. It proves that gold did circulate...........well, some of it did.

Pete

Somebody's pocket piece for a very long time.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Don't miss the headaches, heartburn, dehydration, insomnia, sluggishness, weight gain, shortness of breath and nervousness associated with overindulgence in beer. I'll keep the coins....

Perhaps not coincidentally, I have found that overindulgence in coins can result in very similar side effects.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 10:34AM

@MrEureka said:

@Walkerfan said:

Perhaps not coincidentally, I have found that overindulgence in coins can result in very similar side effects.

Touché :D

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 5:47PM

Do you notice what it reads under America on this can? Its not a coincidence that it's all over our coins also. Beer and coins go together like......well like beer and coins

I'm not giving up either one

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file