Home Precious Metals
Options

The red-headed stepchild of precious metals...

ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

is on a tear, up about 45% from this time in 2016 but you couldn't tell from this forum.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/21/copper-hits-highest-level-since-november-2014.html

I enjoy piling up scrap copper in my basement (I have plenty of space) and bring it to a scrap yard every year or so to make $100-250. Looks like now is a pretty good time to make a trip! I find it interesting to see no one is discussing this here... I guess cause most people think it is more of an industrial metal than a PM. I definitely agree it takes up a bunch of space, but that doesn't stop my from filling up my 5 gal. Home Depot buckets with copper cents.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is money to be made with money. Some refuse to see.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    There is money to be made with money. Some refuse to see.

Don't refuse to see refuse as money.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing copper isn't being discussed much in the Precious Metals Forum because copper isn't a precious metal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:
    I thought this was going to be a thread about war nickels.

Too funny!

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

I've been loosely watching copper because I have a couple of hundred pounds of scrap wire, I'm thinking maybe it's about time to cash in.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being in the Industrial maintenance, automation and engineering field, I buy a lot of large gauge electrical wire, cable and copper piping, and I can tell you we have noticed the price increases.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:

I was thinking 40% halves...

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USASoccer said:

@ChrisRx said:

Both are over half copper, soo..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@Baley said:

@USASoccer said:

@ChrisRx said:

Both are over half copper, soo..

They are going up then!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was buying some heavy gauge copper wire in Home Depot the other day and remarked on the price. The employee helping me said that price was rising because China is buying huge volumes of copper. I have not investigated this, but thought it an interesting comment. Knew they were acquiring gold.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USASoccer said:

@ChrisRx said:

Heck, I figured it was about empty Aluminum Beer Cans, in my neighborhood ya have to guard them even in your own backyard :D

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the thief's are steeling it left and right. They are ripping off roof flashing, removing water piping from homes that are on the market and even some of the dumber ones are getting electrocuted trying to cut live wires out of transformers.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short copper story. I was cleaning out a storage unit for a manufacturing business my Dad once owned and sold. I always noticed these big dust covered reddish rust looking bars and disks below the storage racks on the floor slab in the storage unit. Dreading the thought of hauling all this iron in for scrap at 0.10c a pound. Well, upon closer inspection down on my hands and knees. Solid Copper! 100's of pounds. I saved a few bars as mementos and door stops.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions