Home Precious Metals
Options

The US dollar and Gold - where things currently stand vs. Asia and Europe.

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 25, 2017 8:20AM in Precious Metals

https://www.goldmoney.com/research/goldmoney-insights/gold-crossing-the-rubicon?gmrefcode=dollarc

Interesting how much gold the US needed to sell from Bretton Woods (1944) to August 1971 to help "manage" the dollar vs. gold. China, India, Russia are still buying while the west is still selling. It's been said that under their 18th and 19th century gold standard regimes....capital and labor gravitated towards Great Britain, and then the US. Apparently, China wants to be next on that list.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 10:23AM

When I was younger, it seemed that I couldn't really get a straight story about why governments held gold. Gold wasn't used as money (anymore) when it "used to be" just that. Harry Browne set my thinking in the direction that it is now.

The fact that gold is a money of last resort when governments get their butts in a sling - should tell you all you need to know about gold. It's sad but true - governments lie all the time and demonetization of gold is just another governmental lie. I used to look through the Red Book and fantasize about owning a gold coin, but I never knew anyone who had ever owned one - until I became a coin collector and started hanging around coin shops in my early 20s. I didn't own a gold coin until about 1977.

Nobody ever talks about "where the gold went", and if you do, there's a chance you get tagged as a conspiracy nut, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing anymore. I'm sure this is true in every other country, including the ones who had large stashes of gold that clearly disappeared during war. So, where does the gold go when it's taken during war, such as the Congo, Libya, Ukraine, and I'm sure I've forgotten a few others. Gordon Browne is about the only leader who ever publicized where his country's gold was going, and he clearly takes the prize as making the dumbest move a finance minister could ever make.

China and Russia are putting as much gold into storage as they can get their hands on. There's a reason for this. When a currency event happens, a government has to have the ability to promise that a "new" currency will have official and legal backing of "something". After Weimar's hyperinflation event, the new currency was backed by promises of land and other assets, a small amount of gold was in the mix as well. Whether or not a currency is convertible into gold, there is always a promise made to back the currency with "something" tangible. In the beginning, that promise has to be real.

My assumption is that if and when a currency event occurs this time around, the complete lack of confidence in the lying, corrupt bunch of parasites in DC will weigh heavily enough on the population that people won't accept anything much besides convertibility into something, and that something could certainly include precious metals as all, or part of the mix.

Convertibility will become a known term in finance. My opinion.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 ...well stated....Gold is money, always will be. It will never be worth nothing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Gold is money, always will be. It will never be worth nothing.

Wondering....do you think gold has ever been turned down because someone wanted something else in exchange?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BillsonBillson Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@ricko said:
    Gold is money, always will be. It will never be worth nothing.

Wondering....do you think gold has ever been turned down because someone wanted something else in exchange?

A while back (approx. 20 years ago), someone I know was selling a building. One of the potential buyer wanted to buy said building with gold bricks. The seller turned it down saying "what am I going to do with all the gold? I can't deposit it in the bank." Eventually the building was exchanged in US dollars.

Successful BST transactions:
    Buy and sold to Wondercoin,
    Buy from: mbogoman, sol15g

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coupla Christmases ago, I offered to partially pay for a piece of jewelry for my wife from a jeweler I knew, with a gold eagle.

She asked what it was. I told her it was a gold coin, an ounce of gold. She wouldn't take it. A JEWELER, for chrissake!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the US dollar index (dollar's value compared to other major currencies) continues to carry an inverse relationship with the price of gold, the primary long term mover for the price of gold is faith that central banks have things under control.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

Faith...... yup, that's an investment strategy.

I don't know why people try to make this more complicated than it is... arrogance....ignorance?

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 5:36PM

. . . says the man who has faith the grocery store will accept his dollars and that the banking system is safekeeping those dollars for him.

• Options

Yup..
    Never had anyone turn down a dollar and ain't no grocery store accepting gold...at leat not at inflated values over face.

You keep doing what you are derryb....you're making this very easy for "us". ;)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned gold and silver far longer than any other asset, yet they are the worst long term performer. Go figure.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago, I watched a skid on youtube, where a coin dealer or bullion dealer tried to exchange a gold $20 double eagle for a $20 bill. No takers....Unfortunately, I was not in the area to accept his generous offer. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@Baley said:
    I've owned gold and silver far longer than any other asset, yet they are the worst long term performer. Go figure.

Because we always hold on to our losers. Pride keeps us from admitting failure. Hope keeps us from moving forward.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is gold and keeps value. Practicality rules the roost. Any time is a time to play. Who wants to go on a ride ?

• Options

That, and need something to offer the Sky Brother for a ride to the stars. They don't take. FRNs

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2017 8:20AM

I figure that there's a reason you have held gold and silver all this time. Care to expound on the reason, or do you agree with cohodk that it's been a bad move all these years?

It's pretty much one or the other.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I enjoy my collection. That's the reason.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

I figure that there's a reason you have held gold and silver all this time. Care to expound on the reason, or do you agree with cohodk that it's been a bad move all these years?

It's pretty much one or the other.

I didn't say it has ever been a bad move, but certainly hasn't been the best.

• Options

insurance is always a bad expense. . . until you need it.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Insurance has alway been the ultimate scam...

Gold is for kingdom/nation builders...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2017 2:53PM

@rawteam1 said:

True dat

• Options

@rawteam1 said:

Gold is for kingdom/nation builders...

How do you think Warren Buffett got sooooo rich?

• Options

@derryb said:

@rawteam1 said:

True dat

Yeah, every 500 years or so this stuff happens