Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Took a chance on a 1913 type one buff and boy was I ever surprised (from BUFFNIXX)

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

In an online sale there was a 1913 type one buffalo nickel described as “two legs” with the front two legs weak. The photos were not that good, but for sure those front legs did look weak. The buy it now price was $125 with the make your best offer option available but since this coin did have a 30 day return I just went ahead an snapped it up at $125. Did not want to take the chance of losing this by someone else coming in behind me and doing the buy it now. I thought if there was enough of the front leg missing I had a legit new die, in fact this would have bewn die number 3. When the coin came in the mail yesterday afternoon I was shocked to find that it was die number one, FS-901, (old FS 014.85) and the grade was a solid MS64! You just never know what you are going to find, right around the corner.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you need to get it slabbed, attributed, and put in a Heritage auction. The last one in 64 sold for $4,935.00. Nice find!

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Sweet.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find and good gut-instinct to "go for it".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I sold my MS64 thru Heritage for $10,350 in 2009. Values have dropped quite a bit since then. An MS66 just sold for just over $21,000 a couple of months ago. Still a terrific variety and quite rare. MS examples are much more common than circs.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find! Congrats.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Awesome find BuffNixx!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am unfamiliar with this.. seems like a pretty big deal!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the find!

• Options

Here are the sales stats for this coin thru Heritage Galleries auctions.
    Date sold grade service amount (including the juice)
    8-18-04 MS65 NGC $47,437
    4-30-09 MS64 pcgs 10,350
    4-12-15 MS64 pcgs 12,925
    9-11-16 ms63 pcgs 4,230
    1-4-17 ms63+ pcgs 3,760
    4-27-17 ms66 pcgs 21,150 -- right now owned by David Lawrence and for sale, also is on eBay
    8-2-2017 ms64 pcgs 4,935
    It is interesting to note that all the coins above are mint state, wonder where the circulated ones are. I know of one SEGS
    slabbed AU50, there are probably others around.
    Also NGC does not slabbed abraded die varieties any more, I believe that policy is in effect. They in effect said they
    were worthless varieties years ago and stopped doing them with the exception of the 1937d 3 legger which they
    “grandfathered” in.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

You SUCK!

Excellent business decision there my friend!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Buffnixx! Could you please post some closer pics so I can see what to look for...uhmmm...I mean, so I can see clearly what you found? Thanks!

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) find

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

"It is interesting to note that all the coins above are mint state, wonder where the circulated ones are. I know of one SEGS
    slabbed AU50, there are probably others around."

I currently own a PCGS AU53 that I cherried off ebay back in 2008. I believe there's fewer than half a dozen circs known.

• Options

"Also NGC does not slabbed abraded die varieties any more, I believe that policy is in effect. They in effect said they
    were worthless varieties years ago and stopped doing them with the exception of the 1937d 3 legger which they
    “grandfathered” in."

Since they think abraded dies are worthless they shouldn't slab the '37-D either. They won't even slab the '36-D, which is a "Red Book" variety.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I'll bet you win the coveted award for that score!

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Great score!

I wasn't aware of the variety but 2 legs missing feels like a big deal to me.

I also noticed the third feather doesn't show up

Can't wait to see some better scans so meanwhile I'll have to research the variety thru Heritage's site if availablt

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not from GSC BUFFNIXX?
    I really hate you, BOTOH, I really admire you (good eye my friend!). According to your posts you seem to do pretty darn good, do you have any flops that you can tell us about?

• Options

@Raybo said:
    Not from GSC BUFFNIXX?
    I really hate you, BOTOH, I really admire you (good eye my friend!). According to your posts you seem to do pretty darn good, do you have any flops that you can tell us about?

yup, here is a coin I was certain was a 1936 satin proof and pcgs graded it ms64

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@koynekwest said:
    "It is interesting to note that all the coins above are mint state, wonder where the circulated ones are. I know of one SEGS

I currently own a PCGS AU53 that I cherried off ebay back in 2008. I believe there's fewer than half a dozen circs known.

Guess that would put the total populartion of all coins at less than 50??

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah you suck! Now go on an GET!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Probably a lot fewer than that. I believe I've heard of 3 or 4 circs and maybe 15 Uncs at most.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:

@Raybo said:
    Not from GSC BUFFNIXX?

yup, here is a coin I was certain was a 1936 satin proof and pcgs graded it ms64

>

You seem to have the gambler's go-for it mentality----I'd try the 36 one more time.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

He could fix that...if he wanted to...pocket piece >:)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Here are the original pictures from the auction. Nice pictures but could not tell for sure if this was the big one, which was obvious in hand. I was anticipating it being a new die (die number 3 would have been) but it turned out to be number one

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

On the just posed original auction photos above, the die abrasion lines on both the obverse and reverse are not apparent.
    But in hand they are very clear. The obverse was abraded too, removing the top half of the small feather and creating an impressive and unique obverse which also exists with a reverse die having no abrasion. This is usually referred to as
    the “ 2 & 1/2 legged” variety.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

I meant the 2 & 1/2 feather variety, not 2 & 1/2 legged variety, in my post directly above this one.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!...........just WOW

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score.... now I need to look at the drawer full of Buff 2x2's and the bag of Buffs to be sure I do not have a circ example..... Wow, that would be a cool find. Congratulations on that coin.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow....great find!

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what's up with the '36?
    That sure does look like a satin proof to my eyes.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

That's an amazing find!

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

@Raybo said:
    Not from GSC BUFFNIXX?

NO THIS IS NOT A GSC COIN!!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@BUFFNIXX said:
    8-18-04 MS65 NGC $47,437
    4-30-09 MS64 pcgs 10,350
    4-12-15 MS64 pcgs 12,925
    9-11-16 ms63 pcgs 4,230
    1-4-17 ms63+ pcgs 3,760
    4-27-17 ms66 pcgs 21,150 -- right now owned by David Lawrence and for sale, also is on eBay
    8-2-2017 ms64 pcgs 4,935
    It is interesting to note that all the coins above are mint state, wonder where the circulated ones are. I know of one SEGS
    slabbed AU50, there are probably others around.
    Also NGC does not slabbed abraded die varieties any more, I believe that policy is in effect. They in effect said they
    “grandfathered” in.

I JUST CHECKED THE ANACS POP REPORT AND THEY HAVE CERTIFIED ONE 1913 TY. 1 3/12 LEGGER AS AU58 AND ANOTHER
    AT MS65.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

I sent this coin from my local post office on August 31 via registered mail. It got there on Sept 16th!
    For ten days there was no tracking posted in the postoffice web site.
    I thought it may have gotten lost. but it is at pcgs right now.
    Anyone else ever have an experience like this?
    Will post the grade when it becomes available.
    Also the photo-certificate that I requested with it.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    I sent this coin from my local post office on August 31 via registered mail. It got there on Sept 16th!
    For ten days there was no tracking posted in the postoffice web site.
    I thought it may have gotten lost. but it is at pcgs right now.
    Anyone else ever have an experience like this?
    Will post the grade when it becomes available.
    Also the photo-certificate that I requested with it.

To answer your question, yes. I once had a Registered package take 3 weeks to get to PCGS. I live a little more than an hours drive away from the PCGS office (when there is no traffic!)

• Options

Registered mail is very very very slow.

• Options

I guess I don't know what to look for on this variety. I see all 4 legs and all of the feathers. Can someone point out the pick-up on this variety?

• Options

Here's a better image. This is the one that sold for $10,350.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great price for a defective nickel.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Here is an update of the above table that I had earlier provided of sales of this coin in auctions. In pcgs coin facts there was one more piece that sold in 2003, a pcgs ms64 that went for $19,550. This is now reflected in the following table.

This variety was first reported in 1988 and become known then and it took about 15 years for one to show up in auction.

?-??-03 MS64 pcgs $19,550
    8-18-04 MS65 NGC $47,437
    4-30-09 MS64 pcgs $10,350
    4-12-15 MS64 pcgs $12,925
    9-11-16 MS63 pcgs $4,230
    1-4-17 MS63+ pcgs $3,760
    4-27-17 MS66 pcgs $21,150 -- right now owned by David Lawrence and for sale, also is on eBay
    8-2-2017 MS64 pcgs 4,935

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

This coin was slabbed “unc details -- damage!! (#98) Take a look at the photo -- number is 5569098
    I think the “damage” is the slight spot above the date.
    Last night before I saw this “grade” I joined the NGC collectors club. I am tired of getting results like this from PCGS
    I have really had bad luck here, so across the street I go whenever possible.
    This will of course be busted out and sent to ANaCS as NGC does not recognize

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

does not recognize abraded or polished die buffalo nickels, except the 1936d 3 1/2 legger and 1937d 3 legger.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Also the 1936 nickel that is shown above was cleaned or processed by pcgs to change its appearance.
    Not something they asked me to do. So I am moving across the street because of this 1913 and this
    1936 nickel.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

here it is.......

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Hopefully I will be able to get it in a regular anacs holder.
    First stop when it gets back home is to the crack-out station in my garage!!!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Dang, disappointing.
    What did pcgs say the damage was?

• Options

@Bodin said:
    Dang, disappointing.
    What did pcgs say the damage was?

They did not say anything other than “DAMAGE”.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

I see no damage on the coin at all. It might be a good idea to call PCGS and see what, if anything, can be done. They should be able to tell just from the Trueview that there's no damage.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any "damage" either. Other than the heavy clash that diminished the back and feather of Iron Tail. Your coin also has MDD on the obverse, but of course that is not an issue,

I agree with Ron...............call PCGS.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file