Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New 1795 Large Cent to Share

msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I just got this 1795 Large Cent today from Shawn Yancey. It's the Plain Edge variety (S-78)...which is fairly common (R1); however, I think it's got fairly uncommon eye appeal (but I'm obviously biased!). It's in a PCGS VG-10 holder...which seems accurate to me. I've always liked the "Early" Large Cents and have owned several Draped Busts, but this is the first Liberty Cap I've owned. I'm more of a type collector, but man, a full set of the early dates in choice VG to F sure would be cool! Just wanted to share - comments/feedback both good and bad welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin Mark! You've got a great eye. That one has a particularly nice eye appeal for the grade, imo. I've looked over hundreds of these and finding them with good color, nice detail, smooth surfaces, and no distractions in these lower circulated grades is a serious chore for sure. Congrats!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splendid! That's a great example. It's tough finding one struck from a nice planchet with no corrosion.
    Lance.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, great addition

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2017 12:41PM

That is a really nice 1795 cent. I know how hard it is to find those coins with good surfaces and complete lettering on both sides. I have not seen a lot of them over the years although this is a "common date."

I'm more of a type collector, but man, a full set of the early dates in choice VG to F sure would be cool!

That has darted to my mind too, but then I think of the 1799 and 1804 and that's a cold dose of reality. As a type collector I have the Chain and Wreath Cents for many years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin! The eye appeal is excellent.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like!

Finding one in that grade range without huge chunks of missing design elements, or some sort of pitting/damage, is TOUGH. (I know...I'm looking!)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I agree with the others. It's a very nice coin with no distractions. Good buy!

EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Brown and smooth.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter the edge type, that is not **fairly common **, in my opinion, as far as my coins are concerned. :smile::smile:

Thanks for sharing that great coin :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

You chose wisely grasshopper.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great eye appeal in my opinion also. Can't see you getting any bad feedback on this one!

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice, great eye appeal. Here's it's cousin(not sure if it's the same variety).

NGC G06

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice early cent.... Copper from that time has a special mystique.... Congratulations on a great coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, all flowing hair coins are special, and yours is beautiful.

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coin! Shawn is a good guy to work with.

EAC, ANA Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file